maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

11 hours ago, diego said:

What is Gris-Gris?

They had an early 90s hit with "Jump"  and wore their jeans backwards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/08/2023 at 05:15, Bibliogryphon said:

Ooooh its proper educational around these parts......

Except it’s misinformation of the highest import! This isn’t a time to let Wiki be your friend.

Gris Gris is an omen or curse that’s been put on someone.  It’s Cajun French. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Except it’s misinformation of the highest import! This isn’t a time to let Wiki be your friend.

Gris Gris is an omen or curse that’s been put on someone.  It’s Cajun French. 

Let lots of other sources be your friend instead. It's really not difficult to find information on the origin of the gris-gris (or gri-gri) as an amulet or charm originally from Islamic healers, then absorbed into African culture, and from there via slaves to the south of America. It's quite interesting to read about it, if actually reading about stuff is your thing. Apparently it is not all about cursing someone, although that it is what it came to be used at in voodoo. It is  also widely used as a protective charm and is (or at least was)  used in parts of Africa as a contraceptive.

American Heritage Dictionary Entry: grigri (ahdictionary.com)

Gris-Gris Little Known Black History Fact (blackamericaweb.com)

Gris-Gris – OCCULT WORLD (occult-world.com)

Voodoo In The Modern World: A Gris-Gris Love Story - The Traveling Witch

Out of this World: An Ethnographic Study of Mystics, Spirits, and Animist Practices in Senegal (sit.edu)

Insignificant Things: Amulets and the Art of Survival in the Early Black ... - Matthew Francis Rarey - Google Books

• Like 2

Bernie Marsden of Whitesnake  dead according to Facebook.

Edit - Confirmed by his family.

https://berniemarsden.com/

• Like 4

1 hour ago, msc said:

Bernie Marsden of Whitesnake  dead according to Facebook.

Edit - Confirmed by his family.

https://berniemarsden.com/

I was going to cross-post in Stairway to Hell/Highway to Heaven, but as he only played on the wimpy 1982 original of Here I Go Again and not the '87 hair-metal monster remake, I decided against it. He did, of course, co-write it though.

Oh, and he was also in (deep breath)... UFO, Cozy Powell's Hammer, Wild Turkey, Babe Ruth, Paice Ashton Lord, Alaska, The Moody Marsden Band, The Snakes, M3. And 2 Unlimited.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ajlposh said:

Liam Payne of One Direction is in the hospital with a kidney infection

And he does have history of kidney issues, For many years in his childhood he was told one kidney wasn’t working but then it slowly did. 

2 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

I was going to cross-post in Stairway to Hell/Highway to Heaven, but as he only played on the wimpy 1982 original of Here I Go Again and not the '87 hair-metal monster remake, I decided against it. He did, of course, co-write it though.

I was expecting Sir Creep to suggest another thread but in fairness trying to use the forum Search engine to find anything music related is bollocked by the Kill game in extracurricular so I gave up and posted here.

18 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Oh, and he was also in (deep breath)... UFO, Cozy Powell's Hammer, Wild Turkey, Babe Ruth, Paice Ashton Lord, Alaska, The Moody Marsden Band, The Snakes, M3. And 2 Unlimited.

and Bernie Marsden's SOS, who never existed according to the interwebs (I was searching for them not long ago) but I saw live in 1979.

6 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Tony Hadley rushed to hospital after pulling out of gig at last minute in Belfast

Deadpooling GOLD!

So true....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Tony Hadley rushed to hospital after pulling out of gig at last minute in Belfast

Deadpooling GOLD!

He's had surgery on a knee after a fall. He pulled out of a Let's Rock festival gig, but did do Rewind at Henley last weekend, although he had to stay seated.  Sounds like there's been some complications.

• Like 1

Reports that Jack Sonni, guitarist with Dire Straits during the mid 80s (Brothers In Arms period) and who appeared with them at Live Aid, has died: 

If I see right, it has been reported by Alan Clark of Dire Straits on FB, but I have no access to that platform.

• Like 1

On 29/08/2023 at 15:02, Bibliogryphon said:

Deadpooling GOLD!

He's gone fat, hasn't he? I remember when Spandau Ballet were the sharp young dandies bringing style back to the drab worthiness of the post-punk scene....

31 minutes ago, Slackhurst Broadcasting said:

He's gone fat, hasn't he? I remember when Spandau Ballet were the sharp young dandies bringing style back to the drab worthiness of the post-punk scene....

True.

17 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Reports that Jack Sonni, guitarist with Dire Straits during the mid 80s (Brothers In Arms period) and who appeared with them at Live Aid, has died: 

If I see right, it has been reported by Alan Clark of Dire Straits on FB, but I have no access to that platform.

Got a breaking news notification from GBNews for some reason.

On 20/07/2023 at 14:28, gcreptile said:

Jimmy Buffett hospitalised again for something that needed "immediate attention":

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.goodmorningamerica.com/amp/culture/story/jimmy-buffett-postpones-charleston-concert-amid-hospitalization-99455584

Edit: Yes, yes, yes, the Google news date fooled me. It's the previous one.

Jimmy Buffett dead.

• Like 10
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 5

Warren Buffett always said he wanted Jimmy to write him into his will.

Spot on again, old wolf.

2 hours ago, tracy said:

Jimmy Buffett dead.

No doubt his funeral will be 5 o'clock somewhere.  

10 hours ago, tracy said:

Jimmy Buffett dead.

What a shock. Buffett was my favorite artist in music, and I'm just a big fan of anything tropical in general. I knew he had health issues but didn't think it was anything serious. Thanks for the decades of great songs that will live forever. Wherever you're at, hope it's 5 0'clock somewhere. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Jimmy Buffett died after a four years battle with cancer, first skin cancer and then lymphoma.

• Like 4