maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

How the hell have you all missed Frank Ifield?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c0vv1ngrq5yo

Seems like one who ought to have been in the Fifty. 

We haven’t. He’s being discussed elsewhere. 

I’ll become institutionalised one day due to saying this constantly – search engine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cerberus said:

How the hell have you all missed Frank Ifield?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c0vv1ngrq5yo

Seems like one who ought to have been in the Fifty. 

Because they are people who are both way older and way sicker. An 86 year old with no known public health issues just isn't going to cut it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Charles De Gaulle said:

Because they are people who are both way older and way sicker. An 86 year old with no known public health issues just isn't going to cut it. 

2 hours ago, Captain Hemlock said:

Somewhat surprised that Jim Otto wasn’t picked. There are a lot more obscure NFL players who were picked.

TBF, an 86 year old with a laundry list of sports injuries didn't even make the DDP.

In 1973 King Crimson played at the Liverpool Empire, which was covered with posters for Frank Ifield who was due to play there soon after. Fripp announced one of the band as "Our new member, Frank Ifield."

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Charles De Gaulle said:

Had him on my list until a couple of years ago having seen him on TV & appeared pretty fit & still working for his age.

6 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Charlie Colin, bassist with US band Train reportedly dead: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-13448587/Charlie-Colin-dead-58-Train-band-member.html

Appeared on their UK Chart hit Drops of Jupiter which reached #10 in August 2001:

Co-wrote Drops of Jupiter which is about a family member dying.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Charlie Colin, bassist with US band Train reportedly dead: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-13448587/Charlie-Colin-dead-58-Train-band-member.html

Appeared on their UK Chart hit Drops of Jupiter which reached #10 in August 2001:

Slipped and fell in the shower! 'kinell!

Just discovered that Eugene Hunt aka Eugene Wolfgramm of family popsters The Jets died back in April: https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/name/eugene-hunt-obituary?id=54948437

Brother by adoption of @Gooseberry Crumble pick Elizabeth Wolfgramm.

Peaked at #5 on the UK Chart with Crush On You in March 1987:

• Thanks 1

Don't remember them at all.

Just now, Toast said:

Don't remember them at all.

Yeah, flashed across our consciousness with that hit, they had a few more attempts lower down the chart, but that's their only Top 30 here.

I know, because I had to list them all for last year's TOTP team longlist!!! A group of 8, so not forgettable for me!

24 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Just discovered that Eugene Hunt aka Eugene Wolfgramm of family popsters The Jets died back in April: https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/name/eugene-hunt-obituary?id=54948437

He and his partner in Boys Club sang the Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers theme song

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can recall another two UK bands with the same name. The first was a glam rock act that renamed themselves as The Radio Stars. The other was a rockabilly revival act that had a couple of hits in the early 1980s 

• Like 1

Just now, JQW said:

I can recall another two UK bands with the same name. The first was a glam rock act that renamed themselves as The Radio Stars. The other was a rockabilly revival act that had a couple of hits in the early 1980s 

Oh the British Jets rockabilly band I remember well. IIRC they kind of fell into making records - I liked them, even though they looked like a bunch of ne'er do wells from the local pub.

Shocked shitless he never got an obituary from any media site since they were a big deal over here in the US in the 80s. Sort of like when Colton Coffie singer of Cops theme song “Bad Boys” was never reported.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RetroGamer47 said:

Shocked shitless he never got an obituary from any media site since they were a big deal over here in the US in the 80s. Sort of like when Colton Coffie singer of Cops theme song “Bad Boys” was never reported.

Well, I discovered a recent tweet, looked him up and found he was dead. Wiki updated and everything - and as I say, Wolfgramm is not a name I would normally miss, given I had to type it out 8 times.

• Like 1

The Jets were much more successful in the U.S. than the U.K.  They charted ten Billboard Hot 100 hits, of which six hit the top 40 and five made the top 10. 'Crush on You', spoken about in an earlier post, was their first U.S. hit and one of two that peaked at #3, the highest position any song of theirs achieved. Aside from tunes off their own albums, their contribution to the 'Beverly Hills Cop II' soundtrack - the song 'Cross My Broken Heart' - was among their top 10 hits.  Boys Club, also mentioned in an earlier post, had one U.S. Hot 100 hit, the top 10 song 'I Remember Holding You'. As with @RetroGamer47, I'm surprised his death didn't get more coverage. Aside from the paid obit, all I could find was it being mentioned in a list of recent music deaths: https://www.goldminemag.com/news/in-memoriam-dickey-betts-mike-pinder-members-of-wallflowers-prism-and-more

• Like 1

9 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Oh the British Jets rockabilly band I remember well. IIRC they kind of fell into making records - I liked them, even though they looked like a bunch of ne'er do wells from the local pub.

Good Northampton NN4 lads, were always the headline act when there was a town fair or a charity event back in the 90s.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Weirdly enough I was at Creation Studios in Minneapolis earlier this month where Paul Peterson who plays guitar on various tracks had this on display. 

IMG_20240523_161318.thumb.jpg.d95387b21d9cb47d52c1339aa964476b.jpg

• Like 1

On 26/11/2017 at 17:05, maryportfuncity said:

Robin Trower - 72 year old blues/ex-Procul Harum guitarist cancelled November shows for "debilitating but not life-threatening" condition he hasn't specified. Some dates now rescheduled for February. But just thought I'd, like, mention the situation.

Well having outlived all of Sir Creep's predictions of being dead by 2020, Robin Trower is back in the news as he has cancelled all tour dates for what is described as "a major operation": https://bestclassicbands.com/robin-trower-health-cancels-us-tour-bridge-of-sighs-50th-anniversary-edition-6-3-244/

A current DDP pick.

Anton Newcombe has posted this pic a few days ago, which for my understanding shows scars from a heart surgery he had. A one to watch? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ObakeFilter said:

Anton Newcombe has posted this pic a few days ago, which for my understanding shows scars that from a heart surgery he had. A one to watch? 

Maybe you don’t understand how heart surgery works.  He was one to watch PRIOR to said surgery.

• Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Maybe you don’t understand how heart surgery works.  He was one to watch PRIOR to said surgery.

Did someone hear a toilet flush? Nope, just Sir Creep speaking again. 

• Haha 2

Northern Ireland singer and personality Rose-Marie Kane aka Rose Marie, reportedly dead: 

Guest spots on various shows well known to us growing up in the 1980s. Couple of top 30 albums in the UK, as far as singles go, #63 with When I Leave The World Behind (November 1983).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

#63 with When I Leave The World Behind (November 1983).

Appropriate.

• Like 2