maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

1 minute ago, Death Impends said:

Will the Theme Team League tighten up? B)

Not sure he'll get anything except perhaps Yahoo.

I've been wrong before though.

• Like 1

Twitter reporting that Karl Wallinger of Waterboys and World Party fame is reportedly dead

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Twitter reporting that Karl Wallinger of Waterboys and World Party fame is reportedly dead

Also wrote "She's the One", famously covered by cringepot Robbie Williams.

16 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Wikipedia is showing The Waterboys as having 5 current and 82 past members. Of those, 22 living blue-link names. A future DDP team if ever there was one.

Wonder how many other bands would manage that. Aztec Camera have 21 full-time (ie, not touring) band members with blue links on Wikipedia, but four of those are dead.

EDIT: Blood, Sweat and Tears have 44 still-living blue-linked full-time members, including American Idol runner-up Bo Bice and the guy who wrote the lyrics for the English-language version of the Pokemon theme.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Wonder how many other bands would manage that. Aztec Camera have 21 full-time (ie, not touring) band members with blue links on Wikipedia, but four of those are dead.

EDIT: Blood, Sweat and Tears have 44 still-living blue-linked full-time members, including American Idol runner-up Bo Bice and the guy who wrote the lyrics for the English-language version of the Pokemon theme.

Bo was fired during the pandemic AFAIK. The band was rather stupid in doing so, because he was the best damn part of the group (saw them twice at Epcot). Was apparently out of the blue for him, according to an article I read a while ago.

2 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Can’t be arsed to check for blue links or blue plaques, but I’m sure the Fall had over 60 people pass through the ranks before Mark gave them their marching orders. Some of them may have only been there for an afternoon or two, I expect.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Can’t be arsed to check for blue links or blue plaques, but I’m sure the Fall had over 60 people pass through the ranks before Mark gave them their marching orders. Some of them may have only been there for an afternoon or two, I expect.

Wikipedia says 66, with a third lasting less than a year. Coincidentally, 22 have blue links.

8 minutes ago, time said:

Wikipedia says 66, with a third lasting less than a year. Coincidentally, 22 have blue links.

I feel a tad slighted and aggrieved that I was never in the Fall.

In the Fall's later years Mark Smith was working with musicians a good bit younger than himself, some born in the Eighties and even the Nineties. Tracking the group's last surviving members may be a task for whoever's on this forum c.2060.

Sad about Karl Wallinger.  Is It Like Today was a thing of beauty.

The Flying Burrito Brothers, in all of their incarnations, have 56 members on their Wikipedia entry, 28 of whom have blue links. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Damn... another childhood hero. I was looking at his Wikipedia page not a week ago. And now dead.

Let's look at Trumps wiki page..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Slackhurst Broadcasting said:

It seems that Eric Carmen, of the Raspberries then solo artist, died over the weekend.

Yep

IMG_9535.jpeg

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Slackhurst Broadcasting said:

It seems that Eric Carmen, of the Raspberries then solo artist, died over the weekend.

He’s gonna have to be buried All By Himself.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Indelibly linked with the Bridget Jones movie, but Eric Carmen actually had two songs based on Rachmaninoff, part of a popular trend around that time to adapt classical melodies into pop songs. Also used by Barry Manilow (Chopin) and Billy Joel (Beethoven) and others.

11 hours ago, Slackhurst Broadcasting said:

Love the Raspberries, less keen on his solo stuff, but a talented guy indeed. 

And no, I've never seen Love Actually, obviously. It seems odd to me that he's being reported as 'guy who did those songs that sound like St Elmo's Fire from those romcoms"' when to me he's mainly  'singer/songwriter of the Raspberries', but then again I was surprised when Coltrane/Rickman/Gambon were billed as 'Harry Potter actor'. 

Edit: the other three from the classic line-up - Wally Bryson, Jim Bonfanti and Dave Smalley - all appear to be still on the vine (er, bush?) in their mid-70s (appropriately enough). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

Indelibly linked with the Bridget Jones movie, but Eric Carmen actually had two songs based on Rachmaninoff, part of a popular trend around that time to adapt classical melodies into pop songs. Also used by Barry Manilow (Chopin) and Billy Joel (Beethoven) and others.

Eric Carmen also performed the song Hungry Eyes in the 1987 film Dirty Dancing, that's how I discovered him. In my opinion it's one of his best songs. 

• Like 2

Just now, Lafaucheuse said:

Amateur ! Only 12 hungry in the song :D 

Though I won’t be listening the song the Same now, What a weird song to die on…

I counted 13.

I would suggest that the individual probably drank a lot before the 13 shots. Ouzo can be a very high % but 13 shots alone probably wouldn’t be enough to kill someone.

17 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Also wrote "She's the One", famously covered by cringepot Robbie Williams.

Williams changed absolutely nothing about that song when he covered it as well. As Karl once said: 'the only difference between Robbie's version and mine is that I know who "she" is'. 

• Like 2