maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

One for our American readers.

George Mantalis, a member of The Four Coins, has died aged 81 from lung cancer just before his birthday. http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/music/2016/12/13/Dec-22-1934-Dec-10-2016-George-Michael-Mantalis-A-member-of-hit-singing-group-The-Four-Coins-1/stories/201612130145

Scored their biggest hit Stateside in the mid-1950s with Shangri La:

Shangri-La was my parents' 'song'.

SirC

• Like 1

Swindle Part 5: Let em think your dead.

A very prominent San Diego DJ I know well from his old Detroit punk days is posting RIP to Bill Price -- producer in part of Never Mind the Bollocks -- so I have 99% faith in its veracity but damned if Google is pulling anything up on it presently.

If true, RIP

SCreep

Swindle Part 5: Let em think your dead.

A very prominent San Diego DJ I know well from his old Detroit punk days is posting RIP to Bill Price -- producer in part of Never Mind the Bollocks -- so I have 99% faith in its veracity but damned if Google is pulling anything up on it presently.

If true, RIP

SCreep

Edit: shouldn't punk rock have its own goddamn thread? Metal does, prog does, blues and jazz and opera and gospel do. Punk isn't pop music. I shoulda started one just now.

Cold Wave,No Wave and Post-Punk should all have threads too

Hmm, hadn't realised that Stuart Edwards, lead guitarist with Edison Lighthouse died, seemingly back in October from cancer aged 73. http://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co.uk/gallery/maidenhead/107514/tributes-paid-to-talented-maidenhead-musician.html

Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTCIWLA9vgo

• Like 1

Good find Willz

• Like 1

Good find Willz

Not really he he. He popped up on the BBC's Review Obituaries Part 2, and I went "Hang on....nobody mentioned him on the forums.."

Good find Willz

Not really he he. He popped up on the BBC's Review Obituaries Part 2, and I went "Hang on....nobody mentioned him on the forums.."

So wait... I know as a fact earlier this year or late last year someone (lead singer I think) from Edison Lighthouse died, so are you saying two members of that band died inside of a year?

SC

Good find Willz

So wait... I know as a fact earlier this year or late last year someone (lead singer I think) from Edison Lighthouse died, so are you saying two members of that band died inside of a year?

SC

Not unique this year. Two-third of ELP died this year. Also two members of Jefferson Airplane died.

Good find Willz

SC

Not unique this year. Two-third of ELP died this year. Also two members of Jefferson Airplane died.
Kantner and who?

Good find Willz

SC

Kantner and who?
Signe Toly Anderson ON THE EXACT SAME DAY, unrelated causes.

What are the chances of that?

• Like 1

(cross posted same info)

Good find Willz

SC

Kantner and who?
Signe Toly Anderson ON THE EXACT SAME DAY, unrelated causes.

What are the chances of that?

And then of course there was Viola Beach, a boyband wiped out by a car crash.

Oh that's right. Forgot that one, but she wasn't hardly a band member but it's all good. The fact they were same day was interesting to say the least.

SC

George Michael...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38432862

Really is Last Christmas.

Last Christmas, I gave you my heart

But the very next day, you gave it away.

This year....

....it wasn't metaphorical.

Bad year for pop stars.

• Like 1

I was looking up Careless Whisper on YouTube for an obit, went away from the computer and when I came back, it was playing Lionel Richie's Say you Love Me thanks to the YouTube autoplay. It's a sign, a sign that YouTube autoplay has shit taste in music.

Singer Roy Head has a ruptured aortic valve, according to a Facebook post made by his son, Sundance Head...

Singer Roy Head has a ruptured aortic valve, according to a Facebook post made by his son, Sundance Head...

He's going to be a popular dead pool pick if they don't treat him right.

Edit: For those of you who don't get the reference. Treat Her Right

Edit: For those of you who don't get the reference.

In a stable condition following surgery earlier today

For the uninitiated:

The Winter dance party of 1959 was a gruelling 24-day tour around the Midwest by a bunch of artists. The crash of Holly, Valence and the Big Bopper happened after the 11th day of the tour, know today as the day the music died.

All those who played there are dead, including the music apparently, apart from Dion.

The dead;

- Buddy Holly

- Richie Valence

- the Big Bopper

- The Music

Musicians who played and are no longer there;

- Waylon Jennings (crickets)

- Carl Bunch (Crickets)

- Frankie Sardo

EDIT:

Jennings and Bunch were not in the Crickets, they were recruited to be Holly 's backing. Furthermore backing musician Tommy Allsup is still alive, the one who cheated death by losing a coin toss with Valence.

Tommy Allsup in ICU. No word on if the Reaper's flipping a coin to decide whether to take him now or later.

• Like 2

Edit: For those of you who don't get the reference.

In a stable condition following surgery earlier today

Lucky man. A ruptured aortic valve has a 90% mortality rate and most victims die before they get to hospital.

I had a gut feeling the doctors would treat him right.

I had a gut feeling the doctors would treat him right.

Aortic valve was in the heart last time I looked.

• Like 2

Mike "Gabby" Gaborno of Manic Hispanic and also Cadillac Tramps has succumbed to liver cancer at the age of 51