maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

Can you show me where you are getting this from. So far your Clems have no foundation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Mad Hatter said:

Can you show me where you are getting this from. So far your Clems have no foundation.

Best I can do so far: https://twitter.com/PaulGrayDJ/status/846369899836518400

He was recently diagnosed with terminal cancer. As I say waiting for the better info, if true it's very sad indeed.

44 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

News coming through that Clem Curtis, lead singer of The Foundations, has died.

More when there is a more definite report or trusted source.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Thanks, time.

Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clem_Curtis

Live on TOTP, Baby Now That I've Found You

yw YW, Just happened to check twitter and it was there. Right place at the right time!

That'll teach me to go for a sandwich, just as it was formally broken!

Looks like the cancer took him in a couple of months....a real shame, one of my favourite voices.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

News coming through that Clem Curtis, lead singer of The Foundations, has died.

More when there is a more definite report or trusted source.

So instead of pushing up daisies he'll be building up buttercups from below.

• Like 2

He left the band before they released "Build Me Up Buttercup".

Brenda Jones of The Jones Girls, has died aged 62 after being hit by several cars. The Jones Girls were backing singers for Aretha Franklin, Lou Rawls and worked with Diana Ross, alongside having numerous hits in the R&B charts. Their biggest hit came in 1979 with You Gonna Make Me Love Somebody Else.

On 4/6/2017 at 06:13, Thatcher said:

Brenda Jones of The Jones Girls, has died aged 62 after being hit by several cars. The Jones Girls were backing singers for Aretha Franklin, Lou Rawls and worked with Diana Ross, alongside having numerous hits in the R&B charts. Their biggest hit came in 1979 with You Gonna Make Me Love Somebody Else.

The group's biggest hit may have been 1979, but it sounds like Branda Jones' biggest hit was yesterday.
SC

• Like 1

I had the misfortune to see The Exploited and the UK Subs perform on the same night a few years ago.  I've got broad tastes musically, but they were both atrocious.  Two classic examples of bands who should have packed it in years ago.

Of course I got to wondering who out of Charlie Harper or Wattie Buchan would die first and I struggled to make my mind up as they both looked like they could drop dead at any minute.  

13 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

I had the misfortune to see The Exploited and the UK Subs perform on the same night a few years ago.  I've got broad tastes musically, but they were both atrocious.  Two classic examples of bands who should have packed it in years ago.

Of course I got to wondering who out of Charlie Harper or Wattie Buchan would die first and I struggled to make my mind up as they both looked like they could drop dead at any minute.  

Wattie

4875408780_3c0b5e75fc_b.jpg

Relax girls - he's married

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Man, I read that post wrong the first time.  I'm like 'I saw the Exploited and they were awesome'....circa 1985.  I had no idea they were slogging around still.  Kinda hard to sing songs of social angst when you're 50+.
SC

J. Geils, guitarist and founder of the rock group The J. Geils Band, has died aged 71. The band had various hits in the American charts, including Lookin' For A Love (#39, 1971), Give It To Me (#30, 1973), Must Of Got Lost (#12, 1974), Love Stinks (#38, 1980), Come Back (#32, 1980) and Freeze-Frame (#4, 1981). Their biggest hit, however, was Centerfold which reached #1 in the USA and #3 in the UK.

Edit: BBC

• Like 1

Ok so not a miss for my 1981 theme team.

J Geils Band entered the UK charts with the above in February 1982 and two weeks later hit their highest position number 3 that month.

I'll amend my 1982 list accordingly.

• Like 1

Unbelievable. I do a theme team "1982 was the best year for pop", this guy was on the shortlist, and then I don't put him in the final 20. My blood runs cold, indeed,

1 hour ago, MadMac said:

His blood runs cold.....

He'll be all right, after all his angel is a centrefold 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

Unbelievable. I do a theme team "1982 was the best year for pop", this guy was on the shortlist, and then I don't put him in the final 20. My blood runs cold, indeed,

So it's you!!!!!! Are you doing the same next year, because we would be going head to head?

Have to say I'd have picked him purely because it would have been my only chance to catch a member of that band.

Bad luck on your miss btw.

And quite clearly if I may disagree, I personally think out of the 1980s, no year tops 1984. But that's just personal for me.

• Like 1

Yes I may continue with it next year, we'll see if I have some success this year - maybe the lead singer of the Goombay Dance Band?

1982 will always be my favourite - I remember sitting in front of top of the tops writing down the top 20 every week in a big notebook, I still remember following the painful progress of Dead Ringer for Love into the top 10, I thought it would never make it. By 1984 I had gone off to boarding school and lost touch a bit with the charts due to playing too much soggy biscuit. Nena - 99 red balloons has to be my favourite from that year though.

Anyway if we're going head to head on 1982 next year, I'm glad Geils is out of the way.

• Like 1