VSBfromH

Disc Jockeys

18 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I quit considering him after a colleague of his died without a QO. So if he gets one it’ll be a bit annoying 

Already a bit annoying, he was #13 for me this Cup round.  Second alternate.  Alas

• Like 1

If I have to use the modern term of Disc Jockey, news that Tom Weyer aka Commander Tom, German DJ who had a couple of UK chart entries, reportedly dead: https://www-fazemag-de.translate.goog/90er-jahre-rave-ikone-commander-tom-ist-gestorben/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Attained #23 in February 2005 with Attention:

• Like 3

Can we have a Tim Westwood thread, if only for purposes of salaciousness? I suppose he could top himself or get bumped off by angry rappers, though that’s admittedly a reach. 

Subtitle could be ‘Westwood Ho’ or ‘It’s all gone Pete Tong’…

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Can we have a Tim Westwood thread, if only for purposes of salaciousness? I suppose he could top himself or get bumped off by angry rappers, though that’s admittedly a reach. 

Subtitle could be ‘Westwood Ho’ or ‘It’s all gone Pete Tong’…

Sir Timmy has more skeletons in his closet than a cheap ghost train.

• Like 1

On 30/06/2022 at 12:18, Bibliogryphon said:

Bob Harris on Twitter saying he is cancer free

Screenshot 2022-06-30 121637.png

A living legend,or summat - mind, the fag smoking has put a few years on him

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQo0JryyEoxM7v95kBXNTw

• Like 2

Disc Jockey Ambrose Harcourt has died, aged 74; used to listen to him back in the day, I thought on local radio in Sheffield, but I could be wrong, might have been dahn sarf.

• Like 4

On 09/01/2016 at 18:46, YoungWillz said:

Well, no time like the present to drag out that infamous pic of the launch of Radios 1 and 2 and see who has copped it.

The beginning

Back row (l to r): Tony Blackburn (1943), Jimmy Young (1921-2016), Kenny Everett (1944-1995), Duncan Johnson (1938-2018), Programme Controller Robin Scott (1920-2000), David Ryder (?), Dave Cash (1942-2016), Pete Brady (1942), David Symonds (1943).

Middle row (l to r): Bob Holness (1928-2012), Terry Wogan (1938-2016), Barry Alldiss (1930-1982), Mike Lennox (1940-2020), Keith Skues (1939), Chris Denning (1941), Johnny Moran (c1943, last heard of 2007?), [Pete Myers (1939-1998) - cropped out].

Front row (l to r): Pete Murray (1925), Ed Stewart (1941-2016), Pete Drummond (1943), Mike Raven (1924-1997), Mike Ahern (1942-2009) and John Peel (1939-2004)

Edited for Eesti's comment below.

Johnny Moran Telegraph Obit: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/09/08/johnny-moran-australian-broadcaster-who-became-one-original/

• Like 5

Tweet reporting the death of Charlie Brown (wiki), 81, American DJ who played beach music for 60 years.

• Like 3

The 70s Number ones discussions prompted me to look up a local radio DJ from that era, who was responsible for introducing me to the more 'adult' music (Led Zep, Purple, Ozzy and the like) back when I was a freshly minted teen. A name familiar to Midlands radio audiences, Robin Valk, died earlier this year, aged 73.

• Like 1

On 20/10/2020 at 16:51, gcreptile said:

Heh, never thought of that one as balearic dance, but yeah, the 20 minute long guitar part does convey that feeling. The german prog bloke is Manuel Göttsching. Obitable guy - 68 years old now.

Manuel Göttsching is dead.

https://www.radioeins.de/programm/sendungen/mofr1013/_/r-i-p--manuel-goettsching.html

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Australian comedian and broadcaster Doug Mulray (wikihospitalised with "chronic illness". QO assured.

• Like 2

On 28/01/2022 at 02:11, drol said:

Ray Cordeiro, Hong Kong's most famous DJ, suffered a hemorrhagic stroke on January 25, but has already been discharged.

98 in December.

Rey Cordeiro dead at 98. https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/arts-culture/article/3206817/worlds-most-durable-dj-uncle-ray-cordeiro-warm-voice-late-night-hours-generations-hong-kong-dies-98

• Like 2

On 28/01/2020 at 17:33, TQR said:

Ken Bruce, off of Popmaster, has some kind of ailment and is off for a bit as a result. Probably nothing major, as he says (and hopefully; what a ledge).

On 28/01/2020 at 18:14, CoffinLodger said:

I will say a prayer for him. Radio 2 wouldn't be the same without him. Hope it's not more serious than he's making out.I remember Terry Wogan said he had a back problem and would be back in a few weeks , next thing we heard he had died of cancer. .:( We don't want Fearne Cotton or someone taking over ! 

Radio 2 is no longer the same as Ken Bruce announces his departure: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64305756

29 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Radio 2 is no longer the same as Ken Bruce announces his departure: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64305756

Moving to Greatest Hits Radio, as mentioned in the article. They must have a pretty healthy budget.

• Like 1

He's taking Popmaster with him, which means I must also depart to GHR.

• Shocked 1

Chicago DJ Lin Brehmer dead at 68.

DDP pick.

• Like 2

On 30/06/2022 at 12:18, Bibliogryphon said:

Bob Harris on Twitter saying he is cancer free

Screenshot 2022-06-30 121637.png

Whispering Bob was just on the BBC paying tribute to Burt Bacharach, looking and sounding healthier than he has done in a while.

• Like 2

On 10/02/2023 at 09:07, msc said:

Whispering Bob was just on the BBC paying tribute to Burt Bacharach, looking and sounding healthier than he has done in a while.

Bob Harris will be in Dictionary Corner on Countdown all next week.

• Like 2

SA DJ and perennial cancer sufferer Mark Pilgrim dead at 53.

• Like 2