Anubis the Jackal

Professional Cyclists

4 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

Some more info here. Heart attack and partner of Katie Archibald. Hard to imagine it wasn't linked to his superhuman efforts two days earlier. Tragic.

As someone who does quite a lot of long distance running and am planning on running a 50 mile mountain challenge with 12,000 feet of ascent soon it makes me think. Maybe won't push myself quite as hard as I was planning.

Yeah, I was faster than my mates on a bike when we were younger and later did a little time trialing

Saw that news come in on daytime telly with a cuppa and a chocolate digestive in my hand and immediately thought - fuck, that was close, could have been me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Herman Van Springel, Belgian cyclist who famously lost a 16 second lead in the final time trial of the 1968 Tour-de-France, has died aged 79. 

Known as M. Bordeaux-Paris on account of his success at the race - he won 7 times, he also was runner-up in the 1971 Giro d'Italia.

• Like 2

Kenyan cyclist Sule Kangangi died in a crash Saturday while competing in a gravel race in Vermont.

Kangangi was riding at a high speed in the Vermont Overland race when he crashed.

SC

• Like 1

Eileen Sheridan is 99 today.

• Like 3

Hearing that Brian Robinson, the first British rider to complete the Tour de France, has died aged 91.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, JQW said:

Hearing that Brian Robinson, the first British rider to complete the Tour de France, has died aged 91.

First Briton to win Tour de France stage Brian Robinson dies at age of 91 (yahoo.com)

Confirmed (with QO).

Nearly (a week off) a decade to the day another British cycling legend, Tommy Godwin, died at the same age.

• Like 3

List of the Missed! :o

Picked last year, not this year, by looks of it? Genuinely surprised. 

• Like 1

Davide Rebellin, 51, a bit of a cult figure in cycling due to his obstinate refusal to retire, has been killed in a road traffic accident only weeks after his final professional race.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Federico Bahamontes spent his 94th birthday in hospital last July. May have been discharged since, but does not seem in the best health.

• Like 3

Retired endurance mountain bike pro Monique “Pua” Parmalee was struck and killed by a motorcyclist while riding her bicycle near her home in Yucaipa, California on Wednesday, January 25.
Parmalee was 42.

A native of Oahu, Hawaii, Monique Parmalee rose to prominence in the U.S. mountain bike scene in the early 2000s as a top cross-country rider on the National Mountain Bike Series (NMBS) circuit. 

She claimed three U.S. titles in 24-Hour solo racing and seven national Marathon MTB titles. In 2009 Parmalee finished seventh place at the UCI Marathon MTB World Championships. Parmalee also won Costa Rica’s grueling La Ruta de los Conquistadores mountain bike race in 2012 and 2013, and finished second at the U.S. cross-country mountain bike national championships in 2013.

SC

On 18/10/2022 at 21:37, DevonDeathTrip said:

Eileen Sheridan is 99 today.

Eileen Sheridan dead at 99.

• Like 3

BBC report of the death of Tony Doyle, British cyclist from pancreatic cancer, aged 64: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/65500821

So pancan and never mentioned on the Forum? :sherlock:

Won medals for England at the 1978 and 1994 Commonwealth Games and a former double world pursuit champion.

• Like 2

Gianluca Tonetti died aged 56, the Italian cyclist notably won the Trittico Lombardo in 2001. He also competed in two editions of the Giro d'Italia, as well as the 1993 Vuelta a España.Died on May 6

https://www.federciclismo.it/it/article/2023/05/06/lutto-e-scomparso-gianluca-tonetti/59561484-ef26-4e09-bc0b-f0001d447a33/

Captura de tela 2023 05 06 às 20

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Sante Ranucci died 5/20, born in Montefiascone, Italy he died in Scandicci, Italy aged 89, won the amateur road race at the 1955 UCI Road World Championships. After that, he competed as a professional until 1964. In 1958, he finished second in the Giro del Lazio

https://www.viterbotoday.it/cronaca/provincia/sante-ranucci-morto-ciclismo-21-maggio-2023.html

sante-ranucci-2.jpg