Godot

Ask A Deathlister

16 minutes ago, HDS said:

Would you consider it bad form to post a critical health update for a potential pick while a competition such as the Deathlist Cup is underway and one is not participating/already eliminated?

Is it

Spoiler

Jimmy Carter is looking peaky

?

• Haha 6

32 minutes ago, HDS said:

Would you consider it bad form to post a critical health update for a potential pick while a competition such as the Deathlist Cup is underway and one is not participating/already eliminated?

See the horrendous wokewatch thread. By asking alone you have condemned yourself. Apparently. Maybe. Perhaps. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Is our fellow deadpooler Thatcher ok? Not been on here since 13th April 

13 minutes ago, Steve said:

Is our fellow deadpooler Thatcher ok? Not been on here since 13th April 

No big-name deaths recently so they’ll be in hibernation.

Has anyone else had a random DM from a member called Cropsy asking if they like Rachel Stevens?  Or am I the only lucky recipient? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Has anyone else had a random DM from a member called Cropsy asking if they like Rachel Stevens?  Or am I the only lucky recipient? 

1092806633_Screenshot_20240428-1201422.thumb.png.870ad737402889c63f84dbeea367813a.png

No, you're not the first victim.

I understand why you think you were targeted though.

5 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

1092806633_Screenshot_20240428-1201422.thumb.png.870ad737402889c63f84dbeea367813a.png

No, you're not the first victim.

I understand why you think you were targeted though.

Ah I should have searched, thanks.  I don’t ‘think I was targeted’.  I was just curious if anyone else got one. 

24 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

I have, but not for a while. not knowing who Rachel Stevens was/is, I ignored them.

15 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Ah I should have searched, thanks.  I don’t ‘think I was targeted’.  I was just curious if anyone else got one. 

Ah Lardy, welcome to the Cropsy #MeToo movement.

• Haha 1

Honestly though, why bother with such dull content? If I was going to send weird random DMs I’d at least include a picture of my tits, or ask them if they like wearing latex pants while hoovering or something. 

• Haha 5

42 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

I got them too. I now realise how intimidating it could be, so I’ve switched off his (I assume) ability to DM other members.  If you’re reading this @Cropsy, take this as a yellow card warning. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Paul Bearer said:

I got them too. I now realise how intimidating it could be, so I’ve switched off his (I assume) ability to DM other members.  If you’re reading this @Cropsy, take this as a yellow card warning. 

Did you just assume Cropsy’s gender? *big smiley face cos emojis still don’t fucking work on here*

I have just returned from a two holiday to discover lots of small dead flies in the bath. Any idea what may have caused that? 

No - but Diego is probably going to post about them to the Fallen Fauna thread shortly. 

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, Handrejka said:

I have just returned from a two holiday to discover lots of small dead flies in the bath. Any idea what may have caused that? 

These are most likely fruit flies or possibly drain flies. Attracted to water, especially stagnant water if the latter. Baths are a brilliant place for this. Can indicate the presence of mould in your bathroom if they are in great abundance, so perhaps check for that. They've died because the water has made their wings and body too wet to fly away, rendering them unable to escape.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I already searched on the internet, but the answer I found didn't satisfy me (tradition), I wanted to hear from you here
Because in some sports (Olympics, tennis, Formula 1, 2, 3 indy, racing in general, etc.) the flag of the athlete's country of origin is not shown, but rather that of Great Britain, and the athlete can be Scottish, Welsh , Northern Ireland, which are different countries, I think that when compared, it would be the same if Mercosur countries joined in these sports, Nordic countries, Baltics, etc..
Personally, I always found it strange and never liked it, but what do you think about it? Is there another explanation for this?
I understand that in politics this union may be important, but sport is different and I don't like it very much, for example today in Lewis Hamilton's victory at Silverstone he raised the British flag, I would find it much more beautiful and interesting if it were the English flag, just like If you were Irish, Scottish, or Welsh
Sorry if my question seems silly, but I always wanted to hear from someone who experiences this and not from someone who sees it from the outside, please I would really appreciate it if someone could give their opinion and explain it to me 

Our country is a sovereign state and its full name is :

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Its flag is the Union Flag.

England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales are not independent sovereign states, although they do have their own governments within the United Kingdom.

Each has its own flag.

They compete individually in some tournaments, eg the FIFA World Cup, the Commonwealth Games.

Great Britain is not a country.  It is the name of the island comprising England, Scotland and Wales.

Hope that helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, diego said:

I already searched on the internet, but the answer I found didn't satisfy me (tradition), I wanted to hear from you here
Because in some sports (Olympics, tennis, Formula 1, 2, 3 indy, racing in general, etc.) the flag of the athlete's country of origin is not shown, but rather that of Great Britain, and the athlete can be Scottish, Welsh , Northern Ireland, which are different countries, I think that when compared, it would be the same if Mercosur countries joined in these sports, Nordic countries, Baltics, etc..
Personally, I always found it strange and never liked it, but what do you think about it? Is there another explanation for this?
I understand that in politics this union may be important, but sport is different and I don't like it very much, for example today in Lewis Hamilton's victory at Silverstone he raised the British flag, I would find it much more beautiful and interesting if it were the English flag, just like If you were Irish, Scottish, or Welsh
Sorry if my question seems silly, but I always wanted to hear from someone who experiences this and not from someone who sees it from the outside, please I would really appreciate it if someone could give their opinion and explain it to me 

As a point of clarification, Great Britain consists of England, Scotland and Wales. Northern Ireland is part of the UK, but not GB. Which makes things a little more confusing.

In the Olymics, team GB includes athletes from Northern Ireland, so it is a UK team and the Union flag (Union Jack) is used.

In football we have teams representing each nation, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, so the English, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Ireland flags are used. However, in rugby there are teams representing England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. In this case the Irish team is made up of players from both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland and a completly different flag is used.

When it comes to sports where competitors compete as individuals, e.g. motorsports, the competitor represents their country, rather than nation within that country, so they would usually use the UK flag. In much the same way, someone like Serena Williams would use the flag of the USA rather than Michigan, because she represents the USA rather than the state which is part of the political union of the USA.

I agree that it can be a little confusing, I hope my explaination has helped a little.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ah yes, I forgot about Ireland being the whole island of Ireland in the rugby.  I've amended my reply accordingly.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Toast said:

Our country is a sovereign state and its full name is :

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Its flag is the Union Flag.

England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales are not independent sovereign states, although they do have their own governments within the United Kingdom.

Each has its own flag.

They compete individually in some tournaments, eg the FIFA World Cup, the Commonwealth Games.

Great Britain is not a country.  It is the name of the island comprising England, Scotland and Wales.

Hope that helps.

22 minutes ago, AstroKat said:

As a point of clarification, Great Britain consists of England, Scotland and Wales. Northern Ireland is part of the UK, but not GB. Which makes things a little more confusing.

In the Olymics, team GB includes athletes from Northern Ireland, so it is a UK team and the Union flag (Union Jack) is used.

In football we have teams representing each nation, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, so the English, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Ireland flags are used. However, in rugby there are teams representing England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. In this case the Irish team is made up of players from both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland and a completly different flag is used.

When it comes to sports where competitors compete as individuals, e.g. motorsports, the competitor represents their country, rather than nation within that country, so they would usually use the UK flag. In much the same way, someone like Serena Williams would use the flag of the USA rather than Michigan, because she represents the USA rather than the state which is part of the political union of the USA.

I agree that it can be a little confusing, I hope my explaination has helped a little.

Ok, from what I understand it is part of a single nation, but if it is part of a single nation, why in football, rugby, do they compete separately? From the explanation I found it was because of the rivalry between England and Scotland in football, which it was the first match between national teams in history, if I'm not mistaken, and they left it like that, so they decided to separate in this sport, is that why?
In the analogy of Serena Williams being from Michigan/USA, I understand, but I, as an outsider, would understand the same thing that Lewis Hamilton is from Stevenage, and the county of Hertfordshire, so it would be as if Hertfordshire was Michigan in this comparison, I don't know If I could explain this question clearly

2 hours ago, diego said:

In the analogy of Serena Williams being from Michigan/USA, I understand, but I, as an outsider, would understand the same thing that Lewis Hamilton is from Stevenage, and the county of Hertfordshire, so it would be as if Hertfordshire was Michigan in this comparison, I don't know If I could explain this question clearly

For the purposes of my analogy I was equating each of the individual states of the USA with each of the 4 nations that make up the UK. As I understand it, each of the states is made up of counties e.g. Clark county in Nevada, in the same way that Hertfordshire is a county in England.

I expect that the decision over either the UK or the individual nations competing at an international level were made by the international bodies for each sport.

• Thanks 1

:lol:  Simply explained. 

3196E3E6-09BB-4DF5-8860-67FFCE0BAD10.jpeg

• Like 3

Geographically speaking, The British Isles doesn't include Jersey or Guernsey, as they're situated just off the coast of France. There is some argumentary evidence that they may also include the Faroe Islands, though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Toast said:

Ah yes, I forgot about Ireland being the whole island of Ireland in the rugby.

It was also complicated for Ireland in football :

In 1888 an Ireland national team was created. It selected players from the whole  island.

In 1924, following the creation of Irish Free State in 1922, another Ireland team was created, the Irish Free State national team, who selected players almost exclusively from the South (Éire).
In 1937, following the creation of the Republic of Ireland, the team took the name of FAI Ireland  team, whereas the first Ireland team called itself of IFA Ireland team.

In 1953 the FIFA decided that FAI team should know be called "Republic of Ireland national team", and the IFA team "Northern Ireland national team", their current names.

1953 was also the last time that footballers, namely Reg Ryan and Alex Bruce, played for 2 different Irish national teams. 37 players had achieved the same feat before them.

• Like 1