Godot

Ask A Deathlister

So I guess none of you ride mopeds?

You can buy a second hand bike for a grand. CBT prices vary but 100-200 quid is a guide. A helmet costs £50 but the insurance is anyone's guess because we don't know your circumstances.

Find out here:

http://www.gocompare.com/motorbike-insurance/motorbike.aspx?Media=GB027&device=c&PST=1&gclid=CKXy78W5oM0CFcyRGwodL5kD7g

Would you recommend leathers or is that an overkill for . The CBT is £120, I've checked that out. A grand for the moped itself is way out my price range though.

The leathers are a nice touch but they are not essential to get you on the road.

You seem to be confused about classification. A moped/scooter is no more than 50cc; a 125cc is classed as a motorbike and not a moped. You can get a moped for maybe £500 on ebay or a local private sale (try Gumtree). Moped insurance tends to be cheaper as mopeds are limited to 30mph so you can't play at being Barry Sheene. :lol:

You're post has made me more confused than I was. I assume what I was terming a moped is actually a scooter, as all the guides I've read show them as mopeds available in 50cc (30mph limit), 125cc (45mph top speed) and 250cc (60mph top speed). I thought the difference was based on the construction of the bike rather than speed.

You can buy a second hand bike for a grand. CBT prices vary but 100-200 quid is a guide. A helmet costs £50 but the insurance is anyone's guess because we don't know your circumstances.

Find out here:

http://www.gocompare.com/motorbike-insurance/motorbike.aspx?Media=GB027&device=c&PST=1&gclid=CKXy78W5oM0CFcyRGwodL5kD7g

Would you recommend leathers or is that an overkill for . The CBT is £120, I've checked that out. A grand for the moped itself is way out my price range though.

The leathers are a nice touch but they are not essential to get you on the road.

You seem to be confused about classification. A moped/scooter is no more than 50cc; a 125cc is classed as a motorbike and not a moped. You can get a moped for maybe £500 on ebay or a local private sale (try Gumtree). Moped insurance tends to be cheaper as mopeds are limited to 30mph so you can't play at being Barry Sheene. :lol:

You're post has made me more confused than I was. I assume what I was terming a moped is actually a scooter, as all the guides I've read show them as mopeds available in 50cc (30mph limit), 125cc (45mph top speed) and 250cc (60mph top speed). I thought the difference was based on the construction of the bike rather than speed.

Basically, the individual two-wheeled vehicle in question (no matter what it looks like) must fall into one of two legal categories which are moped and motorbike; it can’t be in both.
The current law for a moped is:

From Wiki: The term moped (assigned category AM on a UK driving licence) describes any low-powered motor driven cycle with an engine capacity not greater than 50 cc and a maximum design speed of no more than 45 km/h (28 mph). Before 19 January 2013, the speed restriction was 50 kilometres per hour (31 mph)

In short, the smaller scooters fit into the moped category and the larger ones are classed as motorbikes.

Find out here:

Basically, the individual two-wheeled vehicle in question (no matter what it looks like) must fall into one of two legal categories which are moped and motorbike; it can’t be in both.

From Wiki: The term moped (assigned category AM on a UK driving licence) describes any low-powered motor driven cycle with an engine capacity not greater than 50 cc and a maximum design speed of no more than 45 km/h (28 mph). Before 19 January 2013, the speed restriction was 50 kilometres per hour (31 mph)

In short, the smaller scooters fit into the moped category and the larger ones are classified as motorbikes.

But in a non-legal sense they're different, right? I think I'm starting to get the hang of this.

Find out here:

In short, the smaller scooters fit into the moped category and the larger ones are classified as motorbikes.

But in a non-legal sense they're different, right? I think I'm starting to get the hang of this.

Most people regard this as a scooter and not a motorbike:

scooter.jpg
Legally, depending on its size, it can be a moped or motorbike.
Most people regard this as a motorbike:
motorbike.jpg
  • Like 1

Find out here:

Most people regard this as a scooter and not a motorbike:

scooter.jpg
Most people regard this as a motorbike:
motorbike.jpg

That's what I thought. Why is the law such an ass.

A scooter (classed as a moped) that has had its 50cc engine replaced with a 27 litre Rolls-Royce Merlin engine and is capable of reaching escape velocity whilst being ridden up Mount Everest, is no longer classed as a moped. :lol:

• Like 2

Am I the only one who is annoyed because of the new front page which doesn't allow me to easily access forum? Or am I blind?

Bookmark the main forum page.

• Like 1

On the way out of the kitchen I noticed one of my daughters kittens laying in her usual place, on the mat by the front door.

I looked at her and began to sing 'Halfway down the stairs' by The Muppets, as you do.

The cat listened with good grace, eyes focussed on me the whole time but, at the end, she said absolutely f**k all.

What did I do wrong?

• Like 1

On the way out of the kitchen I noticed one of my daughters kittens laying in her usual place, on the mat by the front door.

I looked at her and began to sing 'Halfway down the stairs' by The Muppets, as you do.

The cat listened with good grace, eyes focussed on me the whole time but, at the end, she said absolutely f**k all.

What did I do wrong?

You are a human. Cats hate humans. She was simply thinking 'get out of my vicinity you loathsome article, and go and fill up my biscuit bowl'.

• Like 3

What did I do wrong?

You are a human. Cats hate humans. She was simply thinking 'get out of my vicinity you loathsome article, and go and fill up my biscuit bowl'.

I think there may be some truth in this.

What did I do wrong?

This is way dogs are better than cats.
  • Like 1

What did I do wrong?

Your daughter had kittens? :blink:

Does this mean that you have grandkittens?

• Like 4

So when that book said "The cat sat on the mat" it wasn't lying?

What did I do wrong?

Your daughter had kittens? :blink:

Does this mean that you have grandkittens?

Well, I hope not, im waaaaaaaay too young... :D

What did I do wrong?

Some of us, though I think I'm the only cat person here, prefer cats because they are aloof and not sycophantic. I like dogs too but I prefer cats.

Anyway I didn't want to start another thread but I did want to ask if anybody recognise the below things I saw on television as I'd like to put a name on them.

1. An advert that was on telly and on billboards in the very early 1980s. I don't remember what it was for but a man who looked a bit like Terry Nutkin bites the ear of his teddy bear. I know I didn't make it up because a friend of mine remembers the bill board which was in the multi storey car park in St Helens. Anyone remember it and know what it was for?

2. A sketch in I think the late 1980s. It was a spoof advert for "hangover Sindy" and used actual dolls. I remember Sindy being sick in a toilet and I remember a Ken and two Barbie dolls coming out of a room. I think the programme may have Nakd video but I might be wrong. Anyone else remember it?

3. A scene from a film which I should not have been watching. All I remember is man getting noisily eaten by a tiger and in the end all that is left is the head and rib cage. He's white, thin and with cropped hair. There's a scene a bit later where a man and woman find him. It was on on a Friday night on Channel 4 sometime in the late 80s or early 90s. Can anyone help?

• Like 1

Ooh a pop quiz!

I don't recognise any of the descriptions. Mind you, I was having loads of sex round about late 80s/early90s, so probably not paying attention to much else.

• Like 2

Probably not what you're thinking of but Trailer Trash Barbie is mildly amusing

Oh, and I'd imagine the multi-storey car park in St Helens was for parking cars.

1/ possible it was Mathew Corbitt + sooty ? Have vague memories of them advertising milk perhaps...

2/ again, I remember the sketch, but seems more like an Absolutely thing. Wouldn't rule out A kick up the 80's either.

3/ never watched snuff....

What did I do wrong?

Some of us, though I think I'm the only cat person here, prefer cats because they are aloof and not sycophantic. I like dogs too but I prefer cats.

I am a cat person (well Mrs Biblio is) we have four of the delightful creatures. However at no time did we say today we are going to get a cat. They just sort of happened.

Cat person here too - altho like Handrekja I like dogs, and other animals too. Currently have 2, but have had 13 at one point..which might put me in the 'collector' category. However, it was more a case of people depositing the old, sick and unwanted on my doorstep. Thank heavens for a proper hobby like DL eh?

• Like 1

Oh, and I'd imagine the multi-storey car park in St Helens was for parking cars.

Hey Dude, where's my video?
There it is. You just have to reply to yourself, simple.

Hey Dude, where's my video?
There it is. You just have to reply to yourself, simple.
Oh no it's gone again.

Just looked at some of my older posts...it seems that a moderator/administrator is substituting every instance of the f-word with "effing". I know with certainty that I never use the word effing in my written vocabulary so it has to be something that's been done retroactively by another person. Am I corrrect to assume that swearwords are now forbidden on the DeathList? If yes, why? If no, what the eff is up with the effing effing word in my texts?

• Like 1