27 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Ian Lavender reportedly dead aged 77. He was the last surviving cast member of Dad’s Army. This is the only source at the moment, but seems well connected and reputable.

You have been watching...

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, drol said:

While it is early days, there is a suggestion this might have been an unnatural death.

• Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

While it is early days, there is a suggestion this might have been an unnatural death.

Where is it being suggested?

Ian Lavender and Michael Jayston. Bloody hell 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 3

50 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Ian Lavender has died aged 77. He was the last surviving cast member of Dad’s Army.

Obituaries: Daily MirrorBBC

Caroline Dowdeswell, who played bank assistant Janet King in the first series is still around, I believe.

• Like 2

Damn, Michael Jayston is a hell of a loss (not to put shade on Pike here). 

• Like 1

RIP Michael Jayston, great performance as the Valeyard in the underrated Trial of a Timelord series of Doctor Who, 'He Jests at Scars...' is one of my favourite DW Big Finish Audios.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JQW said:

Caroline Dowdeswell, who played bank assistant Janet King in the first series is still around, I believe.

think the only four actors left who appeared in more than one episode, playing the same character more than once, are Dowdeswell, Jimmy Perry's widow Gilda Perry (who played Doreen the waitress), and Michael Knowles and Linda James (Captain Cutts and Betty), who are a married couple irl.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've said before, the DDP committee might tend to miss QOs posted in general threads. They have in the past, through no fault of theirs I hasten to add. Better to place them in the DDP thread or any other qualifying pool thread. It draws the eye. ;)

*awaits the howls of protest I have my internet back* :lol:

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I've said before, the DDP committee might tend to miss QOs posted in general threads. They have in the past, through no fault of theirs I hasten to add. Better to place them in the DDP thread or any other qualifying pool thread. It draws the eye. ;)

*awaits the howls of protest I have my internet back* :lol:

That’s no protest but of course both would obit in UK so what’s the big deal of posting the obits there rather than in the DDP thread ? 

5 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

That’s no protest but of course both would obit in UK so what’s the big deal of posting the obits there rather than in the DDP thread ? 

Posting here in among all the other reports might get missed as I think I said.

Plus it's untidy and unnecessary when we actually have a thread for the obits.

Never assume an obit is guaranteed. We've all been there, wondering why our pick is ignored by the press.

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Could be something in this. No mention of it being a short or long illness or even suddenly in any of the news reports so far. Normally you'll see it even without any additonal details

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Could be something in this. No mention of it being a short or long illness or even suddenly in any of the news reports so far. Normally you'll see it even without any additonal details

Yeah, I'm not sure of my source, but nobody's telling us whether it was his previous cancer, an illness or anything. It's all very odd - perhaps some of our journo users have some inside info.

3 hours ago, JQW said:

Also Michael Knowles (born 1937) who appeared in some episodes and also adapted many episodes for radio transmission.

I'm surprised there wasn't a Dad's Army thread.   I suppose the nearest we got to it was a Clive Dunn thread. 

A thought struck me that Ian Lavender was a household name to at least 5 generations. My great-grandfather (born 1890) watched the programme, as did my Grandparents and parents. That passed onto me and my daughter has also watched it. She was born 120 years after my great-grandfather. 

There can't be that many people left who fall into that category.

Truly the end of an era.

Also, an absolutely lovely bloke.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

A thought struck me that Ian Lavender was a household name to at least 5 generations. My great-grandfather (born 1890) watched the programme, as did my Grandparents and parents. That passed onto me and my daughter has also watched it. She was born 120 years after my great-grandfather. 

There can't be that many people left who fall into that category.

Truly the end of an era.

Also, an absolutely lovely bloke.

I mainly remember him from Eastenders as his character was in a relationship with Pauline Fowler (Wendy Richards) (quick Google says his character was gay and they were friends, whoops).

• Like 1