Sign in to follow this  
Spade_Cooley

The New Dunn...

I have long suspected that David McCallum may be immortal.

Well, anyone who contributed that much to hip-hop history will live on forever.

The reason why Clive Dunn was chosen as numero uno in the first place was because the committee, young, feckless and half-drunk at the student bar (I know because I've been in that situation myself!) assumed Dunn was ancient because he played an older character (he was of course just 66 at the time).

A similar assumption can't be made these days because of the access to information is more accessible. We know pretty much the age of anyone famous at the click of a button.

Dunn was an understandable misapprehension. That's hard to recreate in this business in these more knowing times...

I reckon it should be Meera Syal in regards to this post because in the Kumars she plays a much older character ie the Gran

If a Dunn is to make the 2013 list, the best I can find is minor Brit artist Anne (83) and former Tennessee governor Winfield (85), neither of whom exactly scream for inclusion. Or maybe Mandy from Hollyoaks might have a meltdown?

Alec Guinness is the person with the most nominations (seven) who was not nominated when he finally died. (Patrick Moore has the chance to beat this, if he dies before January 1st.)

For the record, he did beat him.

I'm loving this thread. Sallis looks another good contender to me, I think it important our contenders are at least able to wander down to the shops and the like. Blakey/Lewis, doesn't look so good. We could chuck in Derek Batey, Val Doonican and a few other fading telly types, though they don't strike me as characterful enough for the job.

If we put this to the vote I guarantee a higher percentage turnout than we'll get electing police commissioners on Thursday.

Too late(y) for Batey, matey.

If we have to replace Dunn (and, tbh, after reading the thread I'm leaning towards either retiring the #50 spot or just carrying on as if nothing had happened, a tribute the the military spunk that exemplified the Warmington-On-Sea Home Guard) then you need an actor who's been around for 50 years, is an integral part of British popular culture, has always "seemed" very old and probably has a good few years ahead of them. You could also throw in the fact that he, like Dunn, would be from a TV show where nearly everyone else has carked it.

So my suggestion would be...

tve10319-19690411-601.gif

Called it...

• Like 1

I`d say the three nearest to Dunn now are :Warren Mitchell Peter Sallis and Abe Vigoda.

• Like 1

I think Zsa Zsa Gabor has to be the 'new Dunn' the woman might actually be immortal given she was given the last rites over 5 years ago, she has lost one leg due to gangrene, has dementia, is Blind, Deaf, has had 3 strokes,Pneumonia 3 times, has been in a car crash, has fallen out of bed breaking her hip, has high blood pressure, had fluid on the lungs, coughed up blood as well as had blood pouring out of her feeding tube and is almost 100 years old the woman is the ultimate death list tease. Zsa Zsa just won't die.

I think Zsa Zsa Gabor has to be the 'new Dunn' the woman might actually be immortal given she was given the last rites over 5 years ago, she has lost one leg due to gangrene, has dementia, is Blind, Deaf, has had 3 strokes,Pneumonia 3 times, has been in a car crash, has fallen out of bed breaking her hip, has high blood pressure, had fluid on the lungs, coughed up blood as well as had blood pouring out of her feeding tube and is almost 100 years old the woman is the ultimate death list tease. Zsa Zsa just won't die.

Yeah, but life is 100% fatal and she's running out of final chances. At risk of setting off a chain reaction, how about the cause of much fuss hereabouts a few years back; Dickie O'

surely, we still love the guy and celebrate every second he breathes much in the way we did with Dunny.

• Like 3

I'm loving this thread. Sallis looks another good contender to me, I think it important our contenders are at least able to wander down to the shops and the like. Blakey/Lewis, doesn't look so good. We could chuck in Derek Batey, Val Doonican and a few other fading telly types, though they don't strike me as characterful enough for the job.

If we put this to the vote I guarantee a higher percentage turnout than we'll get electing police commissioners on Thursday.

Let's consider the criteria and aim high:

1. Has to be a British institution

2. Has to be seemingly immortal

3. Has to be able to wander down to the shops (if they so choose to do so)

4. Has to be "characterful enough for the job"

Surely there is only one person who truly meets all those criteria.... His Royal Highness, Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh.

Since Death List is becoming a bit of a British institution itself, if he becomes our new mascot, we may even get the seal of approval and become the Royal Death List.

Isn`t there a 4th criteria of being assumed to have died years ago?That`s what made Clive Dunn such a legend because most people assumed he was actually an old man in the 1960`s when Dad`s army started.I think Kirk Douglas is getting close to being a Deathlist instution sure/y having appeared on the list more times than anyone else living.

David Jason's the other option; played a lot of old fuckers and is a lot younger than you'd initially think.

Stephanie Cole would be my choice.

Isn`t there a 4th criteria of being assumed to have died years ago?That`s what made Clive Dunn such a legend because most people assumed he was actually an old man in the 1960`s when Dad`s army started.I think Kirk Douglas is getting close to being a Deathlist instution sure/y having appeared on the list more times than anyone else living.

He hasn't been on the DL before but what about Bernard Cribbins?

Not a bad shout, he was playing ancient old man in 2006-7 and is still around!

Not a bad shout, he was playing ancient old man in 2006-7 and is still around!

Yeah, I could be persuaded. Mind Dickie O is - just about - fit to shop and is widely presumed dead. So is Mike Yarwood for that matter.

How about Christopher Lloyd? Was playing a mad crazy old scientist back in 1985 - that's 30 years ago - yet he's still only 76.

How about Christopher Lloyd? Was playing a mad crazy old scientist back in 1985 - that's 30 years ago - yet he's still only 76.

So you've answered that then.

SC

Well, Wilford Brimley has been in my main DDP team twice in a row (out of three). Like Dunn, people think he's looked old for a long time: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000979/board/thread/220211234

He is a spokesperson for diabetes and gets parodied a lot on Youtube.

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KICIOYlZTr8

Other facts: He's a mormon, is buddies with John McCain, was once a bodyguard to Howard Hughes and supports cockfighting.

Well, Wilford Brimley has been in my main DDP team twice in a row (out of three). Like Dunn, people think he's looked old for a long time: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000979/board/thread/220211234

He is a spokesperson for diabetes and gets parodied a lot on Youtube.

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KICIOYlZTr8

Other facts: He's a mormon, is buddies with John McCain, was once a bodyguard to Howard Hughes and supports cockfighting.

Disgusting! Has he never heard of VD??

If being seemingly immortal is the main criteria, Kieth Richards?