themaninblack

Michael Schumacher

18 minutes ago, Arsewipe said:

Sad story really. His wife should have pulled the plug years ago but can't let go and he'll die 20 or so years from now when the money runs out having had virtually no life since the accident.

We probably won't know just how desperate his new life is until he dies. Based on the little we do know it's hard to make this judgement. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Arsewipe said:

Sad story really. His wife should have pulled the plug years ago but can't let go and he'll die 20 or so years from now when the money runs out having had virtually no life since the accident.

His son Mick is in F1 right now earning millions so I doubt money will run out.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

His son Mick is in F1 right now earning millions so I doubt money will run out.

All the more painful for his Dad then. Let's be honest, if there was anything positive to report on his recovery it would have come out by now. God knows what state he's in but I'd guess he's fully coherent but can barely move or communicate in any way, a fate worse than death if true.

On 22/07/2022 at 16:50, arghton said:

Yeah, and the second Corinna Schumacher leaves the room Todt nicks all the chocolate digestives! <_<

Not news. Just more speculation triggered by his son Mick posting a picture of them together.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

There was a tabloid interview with him, no, not him personally, but an AI-generated "exclusive" interview. The family is suing the magazine:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/apr/20/schumacher-family-planning-legal-action-over-ai-interview-with-f1-great

I've heard the magazine will defend themselves by hiring an AI Atticus Finch!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

I'll spoil it - they will tell you nothing new. Nothing's come out for years upon years, why now?

But, based on my friend with F1 connections... Schumacher is a vegetable, to put it quite bluntly. No idea why he's been kept alive, at considerable expense no less.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Comped said:

Schumacher is a vegetable, to put it quite bluntly. No idea why he's been kept alive, at considerable expense no less.

Selfishness and denial.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Ashes Urn said:

Can you give us a bit more, as it's paywalled.

His former sister-in-law Cora Schumacher will take part in the German version of "I'm a Celebrity... get me out of here" in January. Well, some Schumachers spend the money, the other Schumachers still have to earn it...

She certainly won't comment on him either, otherwise she would have done so long ago. The entire environment probably had to sign a confidentiality clause or something like that. Now it's a bit ridiculous to still say absolutely nothing about his status after 10 years.

41 minutes ago, Book said:

His former sister-in-law Cora Schumacher will take part in the German version of "I'm a Celebrity... get me out of here" in January. Well, some Schumachers spend the money, the other Schumachers still have to earn it...

She certainly won't comment on him either, otherwise she would have done so long ago. The entire environment probably had to sign a confidentiality clause or something like that. Now it's a bit ridiculous to still say absolutely nothing about his status after 10 years.

How can people be forced to do that?  Obviously if your employment depends on it, I get that, but not otherwise.

If there was any improvements in him since the accident the family would be shouting it from the rooftops, the harsh reality is there will have been none, he is either in a coma or a vegetable, no quality of life whatsoever, it would have been far better to have pulled the plugs 10 years ago in hospital and let him die with dignity than linger on with no quality Of life, pure selfishness from Corrina imho 

A majestic athlete, probably physically fittest man on the planet when he was a driver, reduced to a drooling wheelchair bound vegetable because the family won’t accept closure

• Like 6

On 11/11/2023 at 15:58, Comped said:

I'll spoil it - they will tell you nothing new. Nothing's come out for years upon years, why now?

But, based on my friend with F1 connections... Schumacher is a vegetable, to put it quite bluntly. No idea why he's been kept alive, at considerable expense no less.

Heard similar, my then friend no longer works in F1 but he said basically the same, bed/wheelchair bound, fed through tubes, can’t talk, paralysed from neck down, minimal levels of consciousness/awareness, can do nothing for himself, I haven’t spoken to him in 6 years but doubt any improvements have happened

• Like 1

I mean, even if he was in a Hawking-style situation of being completely paralysed and reliant on a wheelchair for motion and life support, you would have expected something about his condition to have slipped out over the years (photos from afar, glimpses from members of the public, etc). The complete radio silence suggests he's never even left his bedroom since the day he went home from hospital and only a very small pool of people are ever allowed any access to him. What a horrific existence to inflict on anyone. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, BonScott said:

Heard similar, my then friend no longer works in F1 but he said basically the same, bed/wheelchair bound, fed through tubes, can’t talk, paralysed from neck down, minimal levels of consciousness/awareness, can do nothing for himself, I haven’t spoken to him in 6 years but doubt any improvements have happened

His own family have defacto confirmed parts of this, like not talking and minimal levels of awareness...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BonScott said:

If there was any improvements in him since the accident the family would be shouting it from the rooftops, the harsh reality is there will have been none, he is either in a coma or a vegetable, no quality of life whatsoever, it would have been far better to have pulled the plugs 10 years ago in hospital and let him die with dignity than linger on with no quality Of life, pure selfishness from Corrina imho 

A majestic athlete, probably physically fittest man on the planet when he was a driver, reduced to a drooling wheelchair bound vegetable because the family won’t accept closure

Selfish how? I can't imagine having a vegetable for a husband is in any way rewarding or fulfilling. And how is his condition earning her any money whatsoever? She'd surely have more if he'd had the plug pulled a decade ago. Perhaps you could call it a selfish form of devotion, a forlorn grasp for a miracle, but it surely comes from a place of love. Absolutely tragic situation for the entire family.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Selfish how? I can't imagine having a vegetable for a husband is in any way rewarding or fulfilling. And how is his condition earning her any money whatsoever? She'd surely have more if he'd had the plug pulled a decade ago. Perhaps you could call it a selfish form of devotion, a forlorn grasp for a miracle, but it surely comes from a place of love. Absolutely tragic situation for the entire family.

The latter, the devotion part, she seems to be clearly in denial and thinks he will get better, sadly it won’t happen 

2 minutes ago, BonScott said:

The latter, the devotion part, she seems to be clearly in denial and thinks he will get better, sadly it won’t happen 

Grief is a strange thing. Imagine getting through his entire Formula One career with the worst injury being a broken leg, seeing him retire in 2006 and getting the rest of your life to enjoy time together, then watching him return for another 3 years and emerge unscathed again, breathing a sigh of relief only for him to smash his head on a rock barely 12 months later. His children were only teenagers when it happened, neurological damage/recovery is notoriously difficult to predict, how ever dire the circumstances seem, especially with the money and medical facilities and expertise he had at his disposal. I really don't see what is being gained 10 years on, but I suppose once the decision had been taken to keep him alive, how do you then make a decision to switch him off if you don't need to from a financial position?

• Like 2