RadGuy

20th Century Americans Sitcoms

1 hour ago, openviews said:

George Wendt looking a little unsteady on his feet at the end..

Met George and John a couple of years ago at an event in Birmingham. Both lovely guys 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, openviews said:

I blame his shoes.

16 hours ago, openviews said:

He sat during his performance and unmasking when he was on the US version of Masked Singer last year

• Sad 1

Tbf its impressive he's still alive. He was a hefty chap most of his life yet is pushing 76. 

Shoving this in here as it's where his death gained most attention. Looking for some opinions from people who may be more versed in this than me:

A movie thing I follow on Facebook is reporting that BAFTA have released a statement responding to "criticism" that Matthew Perry was not included in the "In Memoriam" section of Sunday's show. They've said he will be honoured in the TV awards later this year, which, to me, makes perfect sense. "Friends" is undoubtedly the crowning achievement of his life, I fully expect he'll get the moving, talking image treatment in the TV "In Memoriam" bit. 

He was not, to me, a particularly notable film actor, all his best work was on TV. Does appearing in a movie suffice to appear or not? I commented as much underneath and have some people vehemently disagreeing with me. As far as I can see the only film he did that I've even heard of is "The Whole Nine Yards". Haven't seen it. Am I missing something or is it perfectly reasonable for Bafta to save him for the TV awards?

Sorry that this contains no relevant death information - I couldn't find a specific thread in the extra curricular that seemed suitable and people to get off-topic briefly (or in some cases not so briefly) elsewhere... :rolleyes:

• Like 3

On a slightly related note, I thought their in memoriam segment was totally shit (though I agree Perry shouldn't have been included). It was too slow, broken up, and for most of it they just showed stock images of the actors. The cover of "Time After Time" was pretty awful too. Don't know who signed this off, but then I thought the entire ceremony was pretty appalling. David Tenant is the wrong person to host also, and none of his gags landed. It was cringe telly. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

On a slightly related note, I thought their in memoriam segment was totally shit (though I agree Perry shouldn't have been included). It was too slow, broken up, and for most of it they just showed stock images of the actors. The cover of "Time After Time" was pretty awful too. Don't know who signed this off, but then I thought the entire ceremony was pretty appalling. David Tenant is the wrong person to host also, and none of his gags landed. It was cringe telly. 

I've just given the in memoriam a quick watch and I agree, it seemed to spend more time on Waddingham singing than it did on those who it was meant to be remembering, and there weren't many to begin with. I could probably slap something better together in a couple of hours.

• Like 1

@RoverAndOut I agree with you.

I am a fan of Friends and Matthew Perry. An actor/actress should be honored from a POV of notable works/fame. If they have a place in Theater + Film + Television, that's a lot of remembrance. Matthew Perry didn't make any notable films and his television resume extends to other shows such as West Wing + The Odd Couple.

People are just sensitive because the death is still raw.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Shoving this in here as it's where his death gained most attention. Looking for some opinions from people who may be more versed in this than me:

A movie thing I follow on Facebook is reporting that BAFTA have released a statement responding to "criticism" that Matthew Perry was not included in the "In Memoriam" section of Sunday's show. They've said he will be honoured in the TV awards later this year, which, to me, makes perfect sense. "Friends" is undoubtedly the crowning achievement of his life, I fully expect he'll get the moving, talking image treatment in the TV "In Memoriam" bit. 

He was not, to me, a particularly notable film actor, all his best work was on TV. Does appearing in a movie suffice to appear or not? I commented as much underneath and have some people vehemently disagreeing with me. As far as I can see the only film he did that I've even heard of is "The Whole Nine Yards". Haven't seen it. Am I missing something or is it perfectly reasonable for Bafta to save him for the TV awards?

Sorry that this contains no relevant death information - I couldn't find a specific thread in the extra curricular that seemed suitable and people to get off-topic briefly (or in some cases not so briefly) elsewhere... :rolleyes:

It's David McCallum's omission that stings.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

14 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Was mentioned at the Emmys... Yes, he was British, but had been working on NCIS in the US for 20 seasons and it's how he was best known for 95% of people. Not a big series in the UK.

Just now, Comped said:

Was mentioned at the Emmys... Yes, he was British, but had been working on NCIS in the US for 20 seasons and it's how he was best known for 95% of people. Not a big series in the UK.

Ahem. We are talking about the BAFTAS. British. (Scottish, even). Many film roles. McCallum's omission here is quite amazing - I guess they think he;s Uncle Man or Doctor such and shite from some ridiculous US box set ensemble.

Perry had little to do with film. I agree he's for the telly memoriam section of the awards.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

He was good, in the Great Escape.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MortalCaso said:

@RoverAndOut I agree with you.

I am a fan of Friends and Matthew Perry. An actor/actress should be honored from a POV of notable works/fame. If they have a place in Theater + Film + Television, that's a lot of remembrance. Matthew Perry didn't make any notable films and his television resume extends to other shows such as West Wing + The Odd Couple.

People are just sensitive because the death is still raw.

I guess it depends on how one wants to look at things.  Of course, Perry was best known for Friends.  And while I wouldn't call him a prolific film actor, he still appeared in 15 different movies from 1988-2015.  He did star in 3 notable films, I'd say, with the two of them being pretty obvious:  the aforementioned The Whole Nine Yards, plus its sequel.  The other was a rom-com with Salma Hayek called Fools Rush In, released in 1997.  Perry was famous enough that he had top billing here, too.  Anyway, I guess if the same organization is going to have two separate ceremonies, as BAFTA apparently does, I don't view it as a big deal that he was omitted from the film awards show, though I probably would have included him because, hey, he was a film actor that starred in at least a few movies that people clearly know about.  Of course, I'm quite certain that the Oscars telecast will include him on its In Memoriam segment, since it only honors film.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Ahem. We are talking about the BAFTAS. British. (Scottish, even). Many film roles. McCallum's omission here is quite amazing - I guess they think he;s Uncle Man or Doctor such and shite from some ridiculous US box set ensemble.

Perry had little to do with film. I agree he's for the telly memoriam section of the awards.

He might well be on the TV BAFTA’s as well. His obits were led by him being in The Man from U.N.C.L.E

He will be on the TV Baftas. Cribbins was despite all his films. 

Ncis was bloody huge with pensioners btw over here. Gran loves it. Guess you can't have Jessica Fletcher on tv every day!

I have just checked and apparently you can see Jessica on UK TV six times a week. Who knew? That Angela Lansbury is on the box more often than Newsnight!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, msc said:

Ncis was bloody huge with pensioners btw over here. Gran loves it. Guess you can't have Jessica Fletcher on tv every day!

My soon-to-be septuagenarian mother is an NCIS fan. I believe she watched Man from U.N.C.L.E. as a child, so the presence of McCallum was probably appreciated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msc said:

Definitely - he was a star of the BAFTA-winning Colditz series, made when the BBC used to produce decent stuff.

• Like 1

Richard Lewis made his first appearance on the new season of Curb Your Enthusiasm last night and I thought he was looking pretty good. Interesting self awareness though as a lot of his lines with Larry were around his impending death and that he was going to leave everything to Larry in his will.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, justonecornetto said:

Richard Lewis made his first appearance on the new season of Curb Your Enthusiasm last night and I thought he was looking pretty good. Interesting self awareness though as a lot of his lines with Larry were around his impending death and that he was going to leave everything to Larry in his will.

Curb started in 2000, so the pedantic response is that this belongs in the 21st century American sitcoms thread :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, prussianblue said:

Curb started in 2000, so the pedantic response is that this belongs in the 21st century American sitcoms thread :D

Less pedantically, he actually has his own thread: https://forums.deathlist.net/topic/10437-richard-lewis/

• Thanks 1

On 20/02/2024 at 04:49, justonecornetto said:

And now he's gone.  A very, very funny man.  But decades of demons, plus Parkinson's.  Rest well, Mr. Lewis.