Paul Bearer

Prince Andrew

• Haha 1

I think the only public appearances he can get away with now are the Queen's funeral, the funerals of any other close Royals/contacts, whenever they occur, and important occasions regarding his children, if there are any in future they want him at. Anything else will likely see him exposed to a clear public backlash, both in the media and physically in public, that the rest of the Royal family won't want, and if he has any self-awareness, neither will Andrew himself. If I was him I'd go into some form of exile, like the Duke of Windsor did.

Does anyone really believe he didn't do it? 

Does anyone really believe she isn't after money?

The rest is fluff and spin.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brad252 said:

I think the only public appearances he can get away with now are the Queen's funeral, the funerals of any other close Royals/contacts, whenever they occur, and important occasions regarding his children, if there are any in future they want him at. Anything else will likely see him exposed to a clear public backlash, both in the media and physically in public, that the rest of the Royal family won't want, and if he has any self-awareness, neither will Andrew himself. If I was him I'd go into some form of exile, like the Duke of Windsor did.

Yeah, I'd say the John Promfumo route (quietly spending the rest of his life doing good charitable work helping others) would be beyond his skillset. 

They could try a comeback on the panel game circuit - his appearance on Would I Lie to You might be interesting.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Yeah, I'd say the John Promfumo route (quietly spending the rest of his life doing good charitable work helping others) would be beyond his skillset. 

They could try a comeback on the panel game circuit - his appearance on Would I Lie to You might be interesting.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19926804.bbcs-nicholas-witchell-suggests-prince-andrew-campaign-sex-trafficking/

Nicholas Witchell seems to think Andrew could come back and be accepted by the public if he campaigns for victims of sex trafficking. He's lost it, of course, but this seems to indicate that there's still a desire among some royals for him to return to the public eye, if they're debating ways to salvage his reputation. 

Of course, if this passes: Prince Andrew facing fresh calls to be stripped of Duke of York title it'll never happen, and as it stands Idea of Prince Andrew supporting trafficking victims ‘ridiculous’ says Jess Phillips

Personally, I'm counting down the days until the Duke of York title is gone as well. 

No chance.  He hasn't been popular with the public for many years.  He hasn't made any efforts in that direction and most accounts describe him as rude, arrogant and entitled.

Well, I say "entitled" - quite funny given that he's had a few confiscated.

• Like 2

You have to remember that Nicholas Witchell is a fucking idiot.

• Like 2

Just now, msc said:

You have to remember that ginger c**t Nicholas Witchell is a fucking idiot.

EFA.:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So, we're absolutely sure he made no untoward approach to any other female and that's the end of any noncing or Weinsteinesque capers coming back to haunt him, right?

4 hours ago, CastAway said:

Of course, if this passes: Prince Andrew facing fresh calls to be stripped of Duke of York title it'll never happen, and as it stands Idea of Prince Andrew supporting trafficking victims ‘ridiculous’ says Jess Phillips

Personally, I'm counting down the days until the Duke of York title is gone as well. 

Isn't one of the purposes of a Duke/Duchess title to prevent the holder from standing for election as an MP and from them becoming a peer in the Lords? While I think he'd struggle to get elected (no political party would accept him, and independents don't really get anywhere), better safe than sorry to make sure something stops him interfering with the political system and further trying to damage the Royal's reputation. 

From what could find a major reason Edward VIII was made the Duke of Windsor after abdication was to stop him from doing the above.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Brad252 said:

Isn't one of the purposes of a Duke/Duchess title to prevent the holder from standing for election as an MP and from them becoming a peer in the Lords? While I think he'd struggle to get elected (no political party would accept him, and independents don't really get anywhere), better safe than sorry to make sure something stops him interfering with the political system and further trying to damage the Royal's reputation. 

From what could find a major reason Edward VIII was made the Duke of Windsor after abdication was to stop him from doing the above.

I've never heard that.  Quite a few Dukes have been Prime Minister.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Toast said:

The rules were changed Tony Benn gave up his title Viscount Stanhope, to remain as an MP

That Virginia lady has balls. She went for a cash grab from the Queen of England and won. She knew she had trafficked other girls herself, and that could come out at a trial, but she didn't blink. She knew there was a text saying "I can't believe I got to sleep with a prince" which damages her claim of coercion,  but she calculated Andrew would be forced to settle before trial, faced down the royals and won a famous victory. She might want to avoid Fiats in dark tunnels for a while though.

C637C37F-E687-4427-9EB7-32A471A9262D.thumb.jpeg.3c53ac6ba9d3dc2d79b84499eaa72037.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

The gift that keeps on meming

58612.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 17/02/2022 at 00:01, Toast said:

On 17/02/2022 at 04:50, Bibliogryphon said:

The rules were changed Tony Benn gave up his title Viscount Stanhope, to remain as an MP

Came here to post something else, but just to clear something up here: members of the House of Lords can technically become Prime Minister, it's just not de rigueur in modern politics for various reasons (politicians should be commoners 'of the people', members of the Lords can't be questioned by members of the Commons, etc.). It was one of the things that counted against Lord Halifax in 1940, when they decided to go with Churchill instead to take over from Chamberlain (not the only reason, mind).

As for Tony Benn, he was elected as an MP while heir to his hereditary title. He was forced to give up his seat when he became the new Viscount Stanhope, as he was no longer a commoner. He fought to relinquish his title, then fought and won a new seat when he was once again a commoner. The same rule change allowed Alec Douglas-Home to relinquish his title and earn a safe seat in the Commons to become the new Tory Prime Minister in the 60s, not because he had to, but because it was politically necessary.

• Like 2

Intending to attend his father's memorial at Westminster Abbey (as, I might argue, he should). Notable as it will be his first public appearance since the settlement.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60826073

Less certain is the attendance of the cancer-riddled Queen. Mainly due to the ongoing mobility issues.

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

Came here to post something else, but just to clear something up here: members of the House of Lords can technically become Prime Minister, it's just not de rigueur in modern politics for various reasons (politicians should be commoners 'of the people', members of the Lords can't be questioned by members of the Commons, etc.). It was one of the things that counted against Lord Halifax in 1940, when they decided to go with Churchill instead to take over from Chamberlain (not the only reason, mind).

As for Tony Benn, he was elected as an MP while heir to his hereditary title. He was forced to give up his seat when he became the new Viscount Stanhope, as he was no longer a commoner. He fought to relinquish his title, then fought and won a new seat when he was once again a commoner. The same rule change allowed Alec Douglas-Home to relinquish his title and earn a safe seat in the Commons to become the new Tory Prime Minister in the 60s, not because he had to, but because it was politically necessary.

It’s not really a commoner thing. Just that Lords cannot sit in the House of Commons.

The Queen isn’t allowed in either because of an overreaction to Charles I…

4 minutes ago, Windsor said:

It’s not really a commoner thing. Just that Lords cannot sit in the House of Commons.

Forgive me if I'm missing something but isn't that the same thing? A Lord cannot sit in the House of Commons...because he isn't a commoner. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

Forgive me if I'm missing something but isn't that the same thing? A Lord cannot sit in the House of Commons...because he isn't a commoner. 

No. Traditionally he couldn't sit in the House of Commons because he had a seat in the House of Lords.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Windsor said:

No. Traditionally he couldn't sit in the House of Commons because he had a seat in the House of Lords.

Ah I see what you're saying: until 98, all Lords could sit in the House of Lords so couldn't sit in the Commons. For our foreign friends, in 98 Labour limited the number of hereditary Lords in the upper chamber, the vast majority of members of the House of Lords now are appointed only for their lifetime.

Benn's decision was still politically expedient for Douglas-Home, who couldn't have feasibly become PM had he remained in the House of Lords.