paddyfool

Coronavirus death toll 2020

Coronavirus death toll 2020  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, The Quim Reaper said:

There’ll probably have to be some kind of permit-based access to the outside world for those who can leave the house, and maybe even some controls on who can get shopping in at any given point.

UK figures update: 104 dead (up 33), 2,626 cases (up 676). Now the upward curve is getting steeper still, the lockdown will come as less of a surprise.

Something like the French or Spanish system. To be honest I'm in favour of government food parcels over leaving it to society to figure out, as tragic as the deaths from the virus itself are I'd be more terrified of deaths due to malnutrition and societal breakdown. 

• Like 1

Something interesting is going on with the death tolls

If add Austria, Denmark, Sweden and Norway together they have a death rate of only 0.3% against all Recorded Cases.

Germany has an even lower rate of 0.2% against all Recorded Cases.

This is not much more serious than normal flu.

And thinking of other similar countries you could include Switzerland in this list at 0.9%

Whereas

Italy is currently at 7.9%

Spain at 4.5%

France is currently at 2.2%

Per Wiki in 2017 the % of each of these countries population over 65 was

Austria 19.2%

Denmark 19.7%

Sweden 19.9%

Norway 16.8%

Germany 21.5%

Switzerland 18.4%

Italy 23%

Spain 19.4%

France 19.7%

Spot a pattern or a link - no me neither - I can see that Italy does have the most old people so it explains some of the difference but not for Spain or France - something else is going on - perhaps it is as simple as the countries in the top half of the list are the efficient rigid methodical countries and their recording of cases is excellent whereas the other countries are more relaxed (not sure what the appropriate word is).

I realise that is using country stereotypes to an extreme but think about this:-

If the German numbers actually reflect the true ratio between cases and deaths worldwide then the whole world has been shut down for a disease that will kill 0.2% of the people who catch it (typically the old with underlying health issues) and based on the deaths so far there have been over 4 million people who have had corona. 

Now 0.2% of the world's population of 7 billion is still 14 million people if everyone catches it but there could be that many deaths just from the chaos this is going to cause over the next 6 months.

10 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

If add Austria, Denmark, Sweden and Norway together they have a death rate of only 0.3% against all Recorded Cases.

And thinking of other similar countries you could include Switzerland in this list at 0.9%

Whereas

Spain at 4.5%

Austria 19.2%

Denmark 19.7%

Sweden 19.9%

Norway 16.8%

Germany 21.5%

Switzerland 18.4%

Italy 23%

Spain 19.4%

France 19.7%

Spot a pattern or a link - no me neither - I can see that Italy does have the most old people so it explains some of the difference but not for Spain or France - something else is going on - perhaps it is as simple as the countries in the top half of the list are the efficient rigid methodical countries and their recording of cases is excellent whereas the other countries are more relaxed (not sure what the appropriate word is).

I realise that is using country stereotypes to an extreme but think about this:-

If the German numbers actually reflect the true ratio between cases and deaths worldwide then the whole world has been shut down for a disease that will kill 0.2% of the people who catch it (typically the old with underlying health issues) and based on the deaths so far there have been over 4 million people who have had corona. 

Now 0.2% of the world's population of 7 billion is still 14 million people if everyone catches it but there could be that many deaths just from the chaos this is going to cause over the next 6 months.

Yeah, I spot a link.

Italy, Spain and France have a more tactile society and frequently interact with older members of their families, even having more than two generations living under the same roof.

This is something I subscribed to on an earlier post, which was ignored, because it doesn't fit the 'we are all fucking doomed' scenario.

Culture, societal differences will always have an impact on how this virus spreads, if it did not then there would be no enforced isolation!

Germany has always had a superb healthcare system, the elderly are very well looked after ( or they used to be when I lived there ) and, I would assume, their overall good health would make them less vulnerable to this virus than the elderly in other countries. Maybe.

It is no more bollocks than some of the shite I have read, straw clutching has become a high class sport.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Yeah, I spot a link.

Italy, Spain and France have a more tactile society and frequently interact with older members of their families, even having more than two generations living under the same roof.

This is something I subscribed to on an earlier post, which was ignored, because it doesn't fit the 'we are all fucking doomed' scenario.

Culture, societal differences will always have an impact on how this virus spreads, if it did not then there would be no enforced isolation!

Germany has always had a superb healthcare system, the elderly are very well looked after ( or they used to be when I lived there ) and, I would assume, their overall good health would make them less vulnerable to this virus than the elderly in other countries. Maybe.

It is no more bollocks than some of the shite I have read, straw clutching has become a high class sport.

Yeah good points - agree 

• Like 1

As of this morning at the trust I work for:

• Wexham Park Hospital has 13 cases
  • Frimley Park Hospital has 3 cases

I then had to cancel a 90 year old's patient over the phone due to staff shortage and talking to her was depressing. She doesn't have anyone nearby to take her to the hospital and everyone else around her are elderly. She gets food parcels delivered though. Apparently her family are hundreds of miles away.

3 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

Whereas

Spain at 4.5%

Austria 19.2%

Denmark 19.7%

Sweden 19.9%

Norway 16.8%

Germany 21.5%

Switzerland 18.4%

Italy 23%

Spain 19.4%

France 19.7%

Apparently there are two strains of this thing going around, and one is nastier than the other. Maybe only some of these countries got the more deadly strain?

12 hours ago, paddyfool said:

A hint of good news from Italy: the death rate may have stopped rising, being static at 350 per day for the past 3 days. The really good news, of course, will be when it starts falling.

The hint was wrong - Italy reported 475 more deaths today :-(

• Sad 1

I'm going to give up trying to be optimistic 

What about being a numpty?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, paddyfool said:

Apparently there are two strains of this thing going around, and one is nastier than the other. Maybe only some of these countries got the more deadly strain?

I thought it's that it was the same strain but it was more deadly if you had underlying health issues or were elderly. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

The airline industry is basically fucked. All of them bankrupt by may 2020. Flying will be a thing for the super rich when this thing blows over.

https://www.ft.com/content/30a3a26e-674f-11ea-800d-da70cff6e4d3

They'll get bailed out like the banks but yet we can't provide UBI? 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Deathray said:

I thought it's that it was the same strain but it was more deadly if you had underlying health issues or were elderly. 

From a little reading on this, there do seem to be two distinct strains identified so far, called "L" and "S". To what extent if any different strains actually differ in severity is not yet clear, however

42 minutes ago, paddyfool said:

From a little reading on this, there do seem to be two distinct strains identified so far, called "L" and "S". To what extent if any different strains actually differ in severity is not yet clear, however

Wonder if it's to do with bloodtype?

Youngest person in UK to die is at Kettering General Hospital. a 40 y.o. with NMD. This is just round the corner from where I work.

On 18/03/2020 at 07:41, theoldlady said:

Good morning! Today is Wednesday March 18th!
We start our day in Norway with 1471 cases. No new deaths - many of the current victims had been in either Italy or Austria skiing, and they are for the most part younger 20-50 years old. Hopefully our elderly have dodged the bullit, for a while anyway. 

11:30 a.m. Our 4th death has been reported. :rip:

Almost 5 p.m. Two more deaths today, for a total of 6. :rip::rip: 1550 cases so far. 

Almost 9 p.m. We now have 1572 cases. 22 more than 4 hours ago. We have a relatively small population, about the same population as Hamburg, Germany. 

Now there are 1584 cases just 1 hour later. Good night!

Good Morning! Today is Thursday, March 19th 2020. 6 a.m. (I`m old, I wake up early.)

We start the Day with a balance of 1591 in Norway. Too early to see if there were any deaths overnight. 

Now at 4 p.m. Norway has 1720 cases (129 so far today). One more person died :rip: today. Now we have 7 who have passed. 

199 New cases today as of 10:15 p.m. This gives us 1790 cases in total, with 27 in critical condition. Also there will be 10,000 deaths in a few minutes in the entire world. Sad!

9 days working from home! This will last until at least Easter. Only been out one time to go to the store this morning at 6:30 a.m.  Good night!

Edited by theoldlady
To show updates.

6 hours ago, theoldlady said:

6 a.m. (I`m old, I wake up early.)

Me too, but I go back to bed after I've been to the loo.  :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Deathray said:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/coronavirus-government-pay-wages

@msc I think we had a conversation about shit-stain IDS a while back.

He wants to increase benefit payments now...... the world has truly gone back to front. 

Probably. My thoughts on Irritable Duncan Syndrome are well documented by now. :D

On 28/01/2020 at 21:21, msc said:

SARS got 700 so I'll go for 950-ish, but it could easily be much lower.

I'd just like to admit that this was *slightly*  overly optimistic...

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

Today Italy will overtake China for number of deaths! And we are not even in half of the epidemic!

The US climbed higher into the top ten - "USA! USA! US*coughcoughcoughwheezetopple"

Australia and Canada are alternating positions day by day.

What stats pages and dashboards are people following? I'm using coronavirus.jhu.edu and occasionally worldometers.info/coronavirus, less of the latter since some jokester entered 598,645 COVID-19 deaths in Vatican City

13 minutes ago, Torva Messor said:

The US climbed higher into the top ten - "USA! USA! US*coughcoughcoughwheezetopple"

What stats pages and dashboards are people following? I'm using coronavirus.jhu.edu and occasionally worldometers.info/coronavirus, less of the latter since some jokester entered 598,645 COVID-19 deaths in Vatican City

Been fixed.

11 minutes ago, Torva Messor said:

It is true! The pope is hiding all those mass graves.

1 minute ago, drol said:

It is true! The pope is hiding all those mass graves.

Well he's hiding mass graves anyway. Probably behind bullys prize board and under the caravan.

HTkczTE.jpg

• Like 1