paddyfool

Coronavirus death toll 2020

Coronavirus death toll 2020  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 19/03/2020 at 06:00, theoldlady said:

Good Morning! Today is Thursday, March 19th 2020. 6 a.m. (I`m old, I wake up early.)

We start the Day with a balance of 1591 in Norway. Too early to see if there were any deaths overnight. 

Now at 4 p.m. Norway has 1720 cases (129 so far today). One more person died :rip: today. Now we have 7 who have passed. 

199 New cases today as of 10:15 p.m. This gives us 1790 cases in total, with 27 in critical condition. Also there will be 10,000 deaths in a few minutes in the entire world. Sad!

9 days working from home! This will last until at least Easter. Only been out one time to go to the store this morning at 6:30 a.m.  Good night!

Good morning! Today is Friday, March 20th. 
At a quarter to 8 in the morning our case count is 1790, no updates yet from yesterday. 10th Day of working from home. 10,048 deaths so far (not counting the deaths China, and maybe others, are hiding).
Keep safe everyone and stay at home if you can.

1949 cases in Norway at the end of this Day. And 11,352 deaths now worldwide. Good night!

Edited by theoldlady
Updates

9 hours ago, Charlotte's Controller said:

It seems such a long time ago, I have forgotten which band I put my prediction in. 

It was a long time ago, and a lot has changed since the poll started.

In any event, it seems the majority of forumites guessed too low. If you were guessing again now, where would you reckon the eventual toll this year will be?

1 hour ago, paddyfool said:

In any event, it seems the majority of forumites guessed too low. If you were guessing again now, where would you reckon the eventual toll this year will be?

2009's flu pandemic was 150,000–575,000 estimated and that was just a more contagious than normal flu so that's my ball park guess now. Although the official number will likely be way below that as we're not testing folk for the illness...

1 hour ago, paddyfool said:

I’d love to tell you, but for the life of me I can’t remember what I answered before (because the poll votes aren’t public :2guns:)

Nethertheless, the death toll is bound to be early-mid 6 figures.

Hm, probably around 3 to 4 million tbh...

So I have been considering the effect of schools being closed and the associated exams cancelled. Hindsight is a marvellous thing, after being at university for about six weeks our A Level courses had been covered and we had moved on. A levels were not important any more. The important thing is the learning process and being able to develop independent and enquiring minds, recent developments with social interaction eliminate many of the issues that we may have with workplace and school contact, people just need to be nice and civil. I think that some Snowflakes might melt but this will not be a bad thing.

627 dead in 24 hours in Italy. Safe to say china lied about their numbers.

• Thanks 1

Shutdown of pubs, cafés, cinemas, gyms, nightclubs, bars and restaurants (less takeaways) in the UK announced by Big Job. 

What I like is that he announced this as an unprecedented measure. Erm, that many countries on the continent have had in place for about 2 weeks.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Shutdown of pubs, cafés, cinemas, gyms, nightclubs, bars and restaurants (less takeaways) in the UK announced by Big Job. 

What I like is that he announced this as an unprecedented measure. Erm, that many countries on the continent have had in place for about 2 weeks.

Yea but Boris has to play the part of lovable stupid village idiot with messy hair. The only problem ? He's playing it too well.

Btw coronavirus should surpass Ebola today with more deaths. It's now third deadliest disease this century behind swine flu and Justin Bieber. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 19/03/2020 at 22:17, theoldlady said:

We are now officially over 10,000 deaths now (This is not counting the deaths China is hiding /lying about.  :angry:).

We now have 11,352 deaths. 1324 deaths in one Day. Yep, the Chinese are lying about their numbers. 

Edited by theoldlady
Updates

16 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

Btw coronavirus should surpass Ebola today with more deaths.

Ebola really was the Fort William FC of wannabe modern pandemics.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, the_engineer said:

I mean China was shut down for a while. In China, people probably were killed if they were seen out of their house. 

18 hours ago, Charlotte's Controller said:

It seems such a long time ago, I have forgotten which band I put my prediction in. 

100,000-999,999

7 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

I’d love to tell you, but for the life of me I can’t remember what I answered before (because the poll votes aren’t public :2guns:)

Nethertheless, the death toll is bound to be early-mid 6 figures.

1,000 - 9,999

• Thanks 1

On 15 March 2020 at 19:47, Steve said:

Really is not going to happen. Trust me on this. No chance I am that confident I am going to put a conclusive number of 7,462 deaths and not one more. 

I will humbly apologise to you all - I am sorry 

2 hours ago, the_engineer said:

Nah, we just suck. Just watch South Korea.

What are the numbers going to be like if this gets hold in Africa?

I am now officially in lockdown. We had already stocked up on canned foods, but I made a last trip out last night to get 1 pound chocolate Easter bunnies for $3 a pop. If you still have a chance to get groceries before it gets to you make sure to stock up on junk food, because I can tell you start to really miss. It was only a week without any before I got some, and I was already starting to lose my mind.

1 hour ago, drol said:

Nah, we just suck. Just watch South Korea.

It might have more to do with population dynamics?

Was your healthcare system already overloaded before this?

57 minutes ago, torbrexbones said:

What are the numbers going to be like if this gets hold in Africa?

We might just start to see, Zimbabwe reporting their first case

This is reminding me of Rotten Ali's gloomy calculations about Ebola.

On 20/03/2020 at 07:43, theoldlady said:

Good morning! Today is Friday, March 20th. 
At a quarter to 8 in the morning our case count is 1790, no updates yet from yesterday. 10th Day of working from home. 10,048 deaths so far (not counting the deaths China, and maybe others, are hiding).
Keep safe everyone and stay at home if you can.

1949 cases in Norway at the end of this Day. And 11,352 deaths now worldwide. Good night!

Good Morning! Today is Saturday, March 21st.

There are 11,417 deaths worldwide, not counting the deaths China is hiding.

The numbers in Norway have not really been updated yet at 7:30 a.m.: 1965 cases, 7 dead. :rip:
11th Day of working from home for me. Sunny and cool in Southern Norway.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Deathray said:

It might have more to do with population dynamics?

Was your healthcare system already overloaded before this?

There were heavy cuts to healthcare system in recent years. Lombardy had only one ICU bed for 4900 people, more or less. Doctors have always chosen who would die and who would be cured because he had possibility of making it. It is well known that people above 80 are not cared much about in hospitals. If they recover, give credit to them only. Now in some places people over 60 are not even cured because they desperately need ICU slots for younger people.

National healthcare system is free, but somehow weak; since the 1980s the personell has ben cut of 50.000 units more or less. It was evident we couldn't carry a crysis like this.

• Shocked 2

This was taken at midnight GMT last night. Kinda still concerned with amount of air traffic in US still.

image.png.8c937168403e8ceb10dc3f1e5b1954b0.png

East Coast this morning at 11am GMT:

image.png.df3fade30f886aeef7f0907f65e551da.png