The Old Crem

Bobby Charlton

RIP one of the all time greats. A legend for club and country, sadly few remaining from his era now... :salute:

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

I've been worried about Thatcher. I was struggling to remember the last Thatcher breaking news of a major celeb

Glad to see back on form.

As for Sir Bobby, a true legend. 4 World Cups, a World Cup winner and someone who transcended the sport. RIP

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

A true great. King of the Comb-over along with Ralph Coates. He seemed to be in his late 40's when he was probably around 32! Only Denis Law left of the Terrific Trio that also included George Best. He was rumoured to be rather aloof & Ted MacDougall tells a tale of when he joined Manchester United in 1972, he asked Charlton how to get to the training ground. He never received an answer & now never will. 

• Like 2

Another DDP hit for me. 

I think we should call the competition quits early this year...

• Like 2

After Just Fontaine, an other great passing ! 
I was confident that 2023 was his year. He had dementia that was revealed to the public in 2020.

• Like 2

Sad news. Not only a legend of the game, but also the last survivor of the Munich air disaster. RIP.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

For a long time the most famous name in British football.

Ironic that it is hattrick hero Geoff Hurst that is the last England man standing. RIP.

• Like 2

Sad news as a United fan was the day you knew was coming but hoped would never come. A true great, A Munich air crash survivor, A World Cup Winner, A European Cup Winner(scoring 2 goals in the final), 3 League titles, Fa Cup Winner, European and English footballer of the year, 106 England Caps with 49 Goals (England’s 3rd highest scorer) to go alongside his 758 Man United appearance( 2nd all time appearance holder) and 249 goals ( 2nd highest goal scorer) as well as only collecting 2 yellow cards in his career to go alongside his knighthood we will never see his like again a true Legend, RIP Sir Bobby Charlton. 

• Like 7

rip to the legend. him and pelé were the reasons why i ever got into the idea of football and now are both dead 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jimbean1121 said:

rip to the legend. him and pelé were the reasons why i ever got into the idea of football and now are both dead 

Yes, the loss of Pelé and Charlton really feels like the closing of a chapter for me -with almost none of the greats of 1966 still around.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JonNgoat said:

Yes, the loss of Pelé and Charlton really feels like the closing of a chapter for me -with almost none of the greats of 1966 still around.

the impact both ppl had bc i wasn’t born even close to 1966 and yet they still inspired me to get into the sport. now i only got messi as an idol.

• Like 1

I was thinking about him the other day. I pondered the thought that, when he finally died, football would die with him. At this moment, that is how it feels to me, a man that sat at the same table as Pele as one of the greatest footballers to have ever walked this earth. Dramatic? Maybe. To those of us of a certain age his loss truly is the end of a chapter, a man the like of which we will never see again.☹️

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, JonNgoat said:

Indeed. Feels like Hurst, Beckenbauer, Zagallo and Jairzinho are the only 60s greats left.

• Like 1

Read the news at halftime at the Rovers. Very sad, a true legend of the game gone. Only one more of the starting 11 still with us to see the England team win something again. Time's running out. So few of the superstars of the 50s to 70s are still with us now: no Puskas, no Fontaine, no Pele, no Eusebio, no Charlton, no Maradona, no Cruyff, no Muller to name just a few. We're really reaching the end of an era. Rest in peace, Sir Bobby.

• Like 5

Just a very sad day. Only Law left of the United champagne trio. RIP Sir Bobby. 

• Like 2

Sir Bobby Charlton | Legal humor, Bobby charlton, Bad photos

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheSpinosaurus said:

Indeed. Feels like Hurst, Beckenbauer, Zagallo and Jairzinho are the only 60s greats left.

Law and Tostao too. The latter was more 1970s as Jairzinho but players like Cubillas, Gigi Riva, Rivera, Mazzola etc are still going.

No-one ever mentions his managerial career...

But seriously, one of the greats, from a different age, when football was more about enjoyment rather than big business.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, time said:

No-one ever mentions his managerial career...

But seriously, one of the greats, from a different age, when football was more about enjoyment rather than big business.

Agreed when football was proper and real when players didn’t roll around like they had been shot after little or no contact, when there were no billionaires bankrolling bankrupt clubs and players played in all conditions wind, rain, snow or ice on proper football pitches not the carpets like conditions they do today with football ‘s like bricks. I love football today but it was certainly a harder game and trade in Sir Bobby’s day and Sir Bobby was one of the greatest which highlights just how good he really was. 

• Like 2