The Daredevil

Joss Ackland

Am I right in thinking Joss would celebrate his birthday on the 1st March on the years when it isn't a leap year? I believe this is the normal convention for those born on 29th February.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Steve said:

Am I right in thinking Joss would celebrate his birthday on the 1st March on the years when it isn't a leap year? I believe this is the normal convention for those born on 29th February.

It varies.Only person I know personally born on a leap year celebrates on the 28th February.

I had to look up who this guy was when he appeared on the list. I didn't know our favorite gym teacher was still kickin' *air guitar*.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sklauda1 said:

I had to look up who this guy was when he appeared on the list. I didn't know our favorite gym teacher was still kickin' *air guitar*.

Even with your hint I’ve no idea who this celebrity is (by name at least).

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Even with your hint I’ve no idea who this celebrity is (by name at least).

He played the villain in Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey and one of the Lethal Weapon films. He is the voice of the Black Rabbit in the 1979 Warership Down animated film and he played C.S.Lewis in a BBC adaptation of Shadowlands which is far superior to the Anthony Hopkins film version

58 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

He played the villain in Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey and one of the Lethal Weapon films. He is the voice of the Black Rabbit in the 1979 Warership Down animated film and he played C.S.Lewis in a BBC adaptation of Shadowlands which is far superior to the Anthony Hopkins film version

Not to mention he was a highly ubiquitous voiceover artist during the 70s and 80s, his dulcet tones can be heard in countless classic ads and PIFs from said era, like the Yellow Pages ads including JR Hartley etc

• Like 1

He was also in The Hunt For Red October and Who Is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe?

In fact, Ackland is the only one still alive, of the few who I created a thread on at the conclusion of 2020 as Yaphet Kotto, André Maranne and Robert Fyfe all died in 2021.

• Like 2

He's also the weird guy in the taxi in the Pet Shop Boys' video for Always On My Mind.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Pet Shop Boys video and the bad guy from Lethal Weapon 2 immediately come to mind here. The diplomatic immunity guy (which is genuinely the only thing I remember from the Lethal Weapon films!).

• Like 3

That Pet Shop Boys video is compliled from a film they made in 1988 called 'It Couldn't Happen Here' which I couldn't make head nor tail of.

Much better was Ackland in an episode of Tales of the Unexpected called 'The Stinker', with Denholm Elliott of which the moral of the story is not to judge people based on childhood neuroses.

• Like 3

and A Kid in King Arthur's Court but I wasn't a fan of the movie

• Like 1

On 02/03/2023 at 13:27, Sly Ronnie said:

That Pet Shop Boys video is compliled from a film they made in 1988 called 'It Couldn't Happen Here' which I couldn't make head nor tail of.

Much better was Ackland in an episode of Tales of the Unexpected called 'The Stinker', with Denholm Elliott of which the moral of the story is not to judge people based on childhood neuroses.

This is him in "The Stinker" which was broadcast in 1980. I think it's Clive Dunnesque that he's lived another 43 years. 

MV5BZDEwZWU1NmYtNGJhYi00MDc2LTk4YTMtYjc1MTE3NjAxZDQ5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg5MjUzNDE@._V1_.jpg

• Like 3

Dead: 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 14

Ja Rule now officially the most famous living person born on February 29.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Leon Brittan said:

Double whammy.

Wait a very short time for Jimmy Carter and it will be a triple whammy.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Ah bollox 

Played one of my all time favourite movie villains in Lethal Weapon 2

diplomatic-immunity.gif

Decaffeinated!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Ja Rule now officially the most famous living person born on February 29.

Does the current prime minister of Spain count?

• Like 3