An Fear Beag

HARE'S DEATH POOL 2023

Actress Inga Swenson has died on 23.07.2023 and is a hit for me.

My pick Margot Leonard has also died - but already in 2014. Argh! :rant:

• Like 2

On 29/07/2023 at 06:38, Book said:

Actress Inga Swenson has died on 23.07.2023 and is a hit for me.

My pick Margot Leonard has also died - but already in 2014. Argh! :rant:

No worries, Book. You are quite a way off the record set by @WEP last year, when Nguyen Dich Dung was picked, 29 years after he had died!

I missed Leonard's death three times myself. Once when I was doing the masterlist at the start (although it looks like her German Wikipedia page was only updated in February), and twice when I was doing a quarterly trawl of the names. 

As usual, no time limit on subs in this game, so your first sub Donald Sutherland moves up to take a place of your team,

• Like 1

It would appear that there have been a couple of quite significant deaths over the past week, so lets bring the pool bang up to date.

These are the names I have - let me know if I have missed anyone:

23rd July: Inga Swenson

4th August: Jango Edwards

5th August: Haris Ibrahim

The death of much-loved clown (an oxymoron, surely) Jango Edwards means that we have a new leader, as  @WEPpasses the 1000 point barrier and into the lead. @gcreptile's selection of Ibrahim puts them on 999, the number of the upside-down beast, good enough for a third place. Now if only someone would notice Steve Woodmore was dead.

The top 5 is as follows. full scoreboard on page 1.

WEP (1204 points) 7 hits

[Augie Nieto, George Alagiah*, Jango Edwards, Mutulu Shakur, Ralf Harris, Teresa Taylor, Tim Lobinger]

Thatcher (1034 points) 7 hits

[George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Gina Lollobrigida, Milan Kundera Rolf Harris*, Ted Kaczynski, Tony Bennett]

Gcreptile (999 points) 8 hits

[Burt Bacharach, Daniel N Paul, Frederic Forrest, George Alagiah, Grant Turner, Haris Ibrahim, Menahem Pressler, William Consovoy]

The Unknown Man (893 points) 5 hits

[George Alagiah*, Gianluca Vialli, Milan Kundera, Rolf Harris, Ted Kaczynski]

Death Impends (891 points) 7 hits

[Bert I Gordon, Billy Graham, Ed Ames, Francoise Gilot, Jimmy Weldon, Lucille Randon, Milan Kundera]

• Thanks 1

Bit of a QO dilemma. My own pick Nick Hitchon died on 23rd July, but somewhat surprisingly (to me at least), there has been very little in terms of obits. The best I can come up with is this:

Remembering Professor William “Nick” Hitchon - College of Engineering - University of Wisconsin-Madison

The obit rules for this pool states that:

"4. Social media posts, personal blogs etc do not count. "

However that is not a personal blog - it the College of Engineering blog. So does it count?

As is my wont in these situations, my instinct is to wait and see if anything better shows up, therefore putting off actually making a decision. Were it another players pick, I would probably allow it, but as I have an obvious conflict of interest, I will wait for now. 

• Like 1

On 12/3/2022 at 1:10 PM, An Fear Beag said:

MILAN KUNDERA Author DG DI GF TH TO UM WM

On 12/3/2022 at 1:09 PM, An Fear Beag said:

Diego (172 points) 4 hits

[Felix Sienra, Gianluca Vialli, King Constantine, Rolf Harris]

Milan Kundera was my choice here, but I didn't find it in my score
He was a sub of mine, but joined because two people on the main list died before the game started

On 12/08/2023 at 12:24, An Fear Beag said:

Bit of a QO dilemma. My own pick Nick Hitchon died on 23rd July, but somewhat surprisingly (to me at least), there has been very little in terms of obits. The best I can come up with is this:

Remembering Professor William “Nick” Hitchon - College of Engineering - University of Wisconsin-Madison

The obit rules for this pool states that:

"4. Social media posts, personal blogs etc do not count. "

However that is not a personal blog - it the College of Engineering blog. So does it count?

As is my wont in these situations, my instinct is to wait and see if anything better shows up, therefore putting off actually making a decision. Were it another players pick, I would probably allow it, but as I have an obvious conflict of interest, I will wait for now. 

what’s wrong with this one from 3 weeks ago?

https://www.cravenherald.co.uk/leisure/23678639.obituary-dales-scientist-known-millions-tv-show/

• Like 1

On 14/08/2023 at 23:33, diego said:

Milan Kundera was my choice here, but I didn't find it in my score
He was a sub of mine, but joined because two people on the main list died before the game started

Apologies for that Diego, and thank you for letting me know. I had your correct score on my spreadsheet, but for some reason I did not transfer it over to the scoreboard. 

The corrected scoreboard is on page 1, and this is your little piece of it:

Diego (363 points) 5 hits

[Felix Sienra, Gianluca Vialli, King Constantine, Milan Kundera, Rolf Harris]

• Like 1

On 15/08/2023 at 06:57, Grim Up North said:

I'll tell you what's wrong with it. It didn't come up on my google search, that's what bloody wrong with it. 

Search "Nick Hitchon" - nothing

Search "Nick Hitchon obituary" - nothing

Search "Nick Hitchon died" - up it comes 

I have no idea how Google algorithms work (and please for the love of God, don't try to explain it to me), but it would want to get its bloody act together. Do Google not realise that it's hard enough running a deadpool without this bullshit going on:rant:

(and thanks for the link - I'm still very surprised that he hasn't gotten more than that)

• Like 2

Michael Parkinson is a hit here.

I seem to be getting quite a few hits within the summer, question is how much ammo will I have left when the inevitable chaos that happens in December comes around?

• Thanks 1

Now that Nick Hitchon has gotten a QO, I can stop sulking and bring you an update. Not many popular hits, but there were a few important ones. These are who I have since the last update:

23rd July: Nick Hitchon

8th August: Federico Bahamontes

8th August: Yulia Borisova

9th August: Doreen Mantle

17th August: John Devitt

17th August: Michael Parkinson

18th August: James L. Buckley

With the Bahamontes hit, @Thatcherretakes the lead that @WEPheld for a full 4 days. WEP drops down to second, just ahead of @TheSpinosauruswho becomes the third player to pass the 1000 point mark. Despite their worries, with only 6 hits down, they have plenty of scope to rack up scores as the year progresses. @TQRand I both enter the top 10, which is listed below.

At the bottom of the pile, Parkie gives @Bibliogryphontheir first hit of the game, leaving only @chickencobra@DeathByArsenicand @Pedro67 still with nul-points. 

Full scoreboard is on page 1, let me know if I missed anyone, 

Thatcher (1253 points) 8 hits

[Federico Bahamontes, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Gina Lollobrigida, Milan Kundera Rolf Harris*, Ted Kaczynski, Tony Bennett]

WEP (1204 points) 7 hits

[Augie Nieto, George Alagiah*, Jango Edwards, Mutulu Shakur, Ralf Harris, Teresa Taylor, Tim Lobinger]

TheSpinosaurus (1189 points) 6 hits

[Alan Arkin, King Constantine, Horst-Dieter Hottges*, John Devitt, Michael Parkinson, Tony Bennett]

Gcreptile (999 points) 8 hits

[Burt Bacharach, Daniel N Paul, Frederic Forrest, George Alagiah, Grant Turner, Haris Ibrahim, Menahem Pressler, William Consovoy]

The Unknown Man (893 points) 5 hits

[George Alagiah*, Gianluca Vialli, Milan Kundera, Rolf Harris, Ted Kaczynski]

Death Impends (891 points) 7 hits

[Bert I Gordon, Billy Graham, Ed Ames, Francoise Gilot, Jimmy Weldon, Lucille Randon, Milan Kundera]

Toast (857 points) 9 hits

[Fay Weldon, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Just Fontaine, King Constantine, Milan Kundera, Rolf Harris, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Winnie Ewing]

Arghton (856 points) 9 hits

[Carmen Sevilla, Emlain Kabua, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Ivan Silayev*, Otis Taylor, Rafiq Nishonov, Tim Lobinger, Winnie Ewing)

An Fear Beag (846 points) 8 hits

[George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Lucille Randon, Mary Quant, Nick Hitchon, Nigel Lawson, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Tim Keller]

TQR (839 points) 5 hits

[George Alagiah, Harry Belafonte, Michael Parkinson, Nigel Lawson, Tony Bennett]

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Not many hits to reports since the last update, all of 9 days ago. However, at this time of year the hits tend to get more significant as the points rise, as this weeks update illustrates.

18th August: Al Quie

21st August: Abe Jacobs

26th August: Bob Barker

Bob Barkers demise is obviously the big one here, being selected by 13 players, enough for a place on the ZZZ Boring Predictable Team. Most significantly, he was a hit for @TheSpinosauruswho now takes the lead. @Thatcherwas only in the lead for 10 days this time, and now drops down to second place. Three more players cross the 1000 point barrier, with last years champion @Death Impendslurking ominously in 5th place with a Joker still to play. However no-one is running away with it, and there is plenty of scope for a bolter from the pack over the coming month or two.

These are the players over 1000 points. Full updated leaderboard, as always, is on page 1.

The Spinosaurus (1426 points) 7 hits

[Alan Arkin, Bob Barker, Constantine, Horst-Dieter Hottges*, John Devitt, Michael Parkinson, Tony Bennett]

[Federico Bahamontes, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Gina Lollobrigida, Milan Kundera Rolf Harris*, Ted Kaczynski, Tony Bennett]

WEP (1204 points) 7 hits

The Unknown Man (1130 points) 6 hits

[Bob Barker, George Alagiah*, Gianluca Vialli, Milan Kundera, Rolf Harris, Ted Kaczynski]

Death Impends (1128 points) 8 hits

[Bert I Gordon, Billy Graham, Bob Barker, Ed Ames, Francoise Gilot, Jimmy Weldon, Lucille Randon, Milan Kundera]

Wannamaker (1051 points) 9 hits

[Bob Barker, Frank McGarvey, George Alagiah, King Constantine, Pervez Musharraf, Milan Kundera, Rolf Harris, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Ted Kaczynski]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Its all gone a little quiet around here, as the Reaper seems to be taking a late summer break. Hopefully somewhere not too warm.

I can only see the two deaths since the last update, unless you are keeping a few obscure ones hidden away without telling me!

30th August: Mohamed Al-Fayed

5th September: Mairin Hughes

Both hits have an effect at the top of the scoreboard, with both me and @TQRpassing the 1000 point mark and rising to 6th and 7th place respectively.

Here are all those over 1000 points, full scoreboard is on page 1

[Alan Arkin, Bob Barker, King Constantine, Horst-Dieter Hottges*, John Devitt, Michael Parkinson, Tony Bennett]

WEP (1204 points) 7 hits

The Unknown Man (1130 points) 6 hits

[Bob Barker, George Alagiah*, Gianluca Vialli, Milan Kundera, Rolf Harris, Ted Kaczynski]

[Bert I Gordon, Billy Graham, Bob Barker, Ed Ames, Francoise Gilot, Jimmy Weldon, Lucille Randon, Milan Kundera]

An Fear Beag (1093 points) 9 hits

[George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Lucille Randon, Mairin Hughes, Mary Quant, Nick Hitchon, Nigel Lawson, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Tim Keller]

TQR (1080 points) 6 hits

[George Alagiah, Harry Belafonte, Michael Parkinson, Mohamed Al-Fayed, Nigel Lawson, Tony Bennett]

Wannamaker (1051 points) 9 hits

[Bob Barker, Frank McGarvey, George Alagiah, King Constantine, Pervez Musharraf, Milan Kundera, Rolf Harris, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Ted Kaczynski]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Forgot to mention, Chris Snow is a hit for me.

• Like 1

It has all been a bit quiet around here recently, but it would appear that the tumbleweed was unwarranted. A thorough scan of the masterlist has revealed a good number of hits, some of which predated the last update. It looks like players have not been keeping an eye on their own teams :angry:.

These are the hits I have come across since the last update:

10th July: Marga Minco

18th July: Ooomen Chandy

5th August: Helene Carrere D'Encausse

8th August: Vera Vasilveya

26th August: Faye Fantarrow

8th September: Stanley "Whitey" Von Nieda

16th September: Nikolai Dobronravov

20th September: Dick Clark

22nd September: Giorgio Napolitano

29th September: Diane Feinstein

30th September: Chris Snow

That unpromising list has led to a major shake-up at the top of the leaderboard. @TheSpinosaurusretains the lead at the summit, buts it's all change below. @The Unknown Man moves into 2nd place, @wannamakeris up into 3rd, and @gcreptileis now in 4th. @YorkshireBankergets two hits to ascend into 6th, while the Joker hit of Giorgio Napolitano helps elevate @drolfrom the pack up into 9th.

Meanwhile at the other end, @chickencobragets their first hit of the game, leaving only @DeathByArsenicand @Pedro67still languishing pointless at the bottom.

As we are at the 3/4 mark, here is the full leaderboard. With the points for a hit rising all the time, it is all to play for. 6 teams are within a hit of the leader. 15 players are within 2 hits, or a Joker hit. Let the pool really commence! 

[Alan Arkin, Bob Barker, King Constantine, Horst-Dieter Hottges*, John Devitt, Michael Parkinson, Tony Bennett]

The Unknown Man (1394 points) 7 hits

[Bob Barker, George Alagiah*, Gianluca Vialli, Giorgio Napolitano, Milan Kundera, Rolf Harris, Ted Kaczynski]

Wannamaker (1315 points) 10 hits

[Bob Barker, Frank McGarvey, George Alagiah, Giorgio Napolitano, King Constantine, Pervez Musharraf, Milan Kundera, Rolf Harris, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Ted Kaczynski]

Gcreptile (1271 points) 9 hits

[Burt Bacharach, Chris Snow, Daniel N Paul, Frederic Forrest, George Alagiah, Grant Turner, Haris Ibrahim, Menahem Pressler, William Consovoy]

Yorkshire Banker (1208 points) 7 hits

[Dick Clarke, Dick Groat, Francoise Gilot, George Alagiah, Giorgio Napolitano, Hsing Yun, Winnie Ewing]

WEP (1204 points) 7 hits

[Bert I Gordon, Billy Graham, Bob Barker, Ed Ames, Francoise Gilot, Jimmy Weldon, Lucille Randon, Milan Kundera]

Drol (1109 points) 7 hits

[George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Giorgio Napolitano*, Oomen Chandy, Pervez Musharraf, Rolf Harris, Shimon Baadani]

An Fear Beag (1093 points) 9 hits

[George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Lucille Randon, Mairin Hughes, Mary Quant, Nick Hitchon, Nigel Lawson, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Tim Keller]

TQR (1080 points) 6 hits

[George Alagiah, Harry Belafonte, Michael Parkinson, Mohamed Al-Fayed, Nigel Lawson, Tony Bennett]

Nantonian (1027 points) 6 hits

[Diane Feinstein, George Alagiah, Nigel Lawson, Rolf Harris, Ted Kaczynski, Winnie Ewing]

The Old Lady (988 points) 8 hits

[Betty Boothroyd, Bob Barker, Francoise Gilot, Gianluca Vialli, Mary Quant, Rolf Harris, Ted Kaczynski, Tina Turner]

Chel (960 points) 6 hits

[Jaak Lipso, Nikolai Dupak, Nikolai Dobranravov, Yulia Borisova, Vera Vasilveya, Vyacheslav Zaitsev]

CharlesDeGaulle (944 points) 6 hits

[Bob Barker, Chaim Topol, Giorgio Napolitano, Rolf Harris, Stella Stevens, Tony Bennett]

Salmon Mousse (944 points) 9 hits

[Chris Snow, Frank McGarvey, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Denny Crum, Michael Lehrer, Natalie Fornasier, Teresa Taylor, Tim Keller]

Toast (857 points) 9 hits

[Fay Weldon, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Just Fontaine, King Constantine, Milan Kundera, Rolf Harris, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Winnie Ewing]

Arghton (856 points) 9 hits

[Carmen Sevilla, Emlain Kabua, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Ivan Silayev*, Otis Taylor, Rafiq Nishonov, Tim Lobinger, Winnie Ewing)

CalebH (823 points) 5 hits

[Carmen Sevilla, Doreen Mantle, Marga Minco, Mihai Sora*, Sonia Cervanes]

The RadGuy (788 points) 6 hits

[Faye Fantarrow, Frank McGarvey, George Alagiah, Jango Edwards, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Tim Lobinger]

ZZZ - Boring Predictable Team (776 points) 5 hits

[Bob Barker, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Rolf Harris, Tony Bennett]

Captain Chorizo (772 points) 6 hits

[Abe Jacobs, Billy Two-Rivers, Pervez Musharraf, Siiri Ratnanen, Teresa Taylor, Winnie Ewing]

Wormfarmer (757 points) 6 hits

[AL Jaffee*, Ben Ferencs, Bill Butler, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Ted Kaczynski]

Torva Messor (755 points) 7 hits

[Bernard Kalb, Bert I. Gordon*, Carole Cook, Francoise Gilot, Max Morath, Menahem Pressler, Noreen Nash]

Dying Probably (748 points) 6 hits

[Betty Boothroyd, Harry Belafonte, Hazel McCallion*, James L. Buckley, Nigel Lawson, Tony Bennett]

Buffalo Phil (744 points) 8 hits

[Ben Ferencs, Bill Butler, Bob Barker, Gianluca Vialli, Guido Gorgatti, Hazel McCallion, Lucille Randon, Tim Keller]

Etushispushingupdaisies (743 points) 5 hits

[Bob Barker, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Rolf Harris, Teresa Taylor]

MariNisia (737 points) 5 hits

[Bob Barker, Carole Cook, Don January, Harry Belafonte, Stanley Von Nieda]

Joey Russ (717 points) 6 hits

[Bob Barker, David Crosby, Lucille Randon, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Ted Kaczynski, Tony Bennett]

Etib80 (698 points) 3 hits

[Bob Barker*, Federico Bahamontes, Gianluca Vialli]

Guy From Future (662 points) 7 hits

[George Alagiah, Gordon Pinsent, Hazel McCallion, Jean-Pierre Jabouille, Juan Velarde Fuertes, Milan Kundera, Patricia Hamilton]

Tracey (656 points) 6 hits

[Al Jaffee, Al Quie, George Alagiah, Gordon Moore, Miiko Taka, Ted Lerner]

Hell (650 points) 6 hits

[Chaim Topol, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Rolf Harris, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Ted Kaczynski]

YoungOne (635 points) 5 hits

[George Alagiah, King Constantine, Nigel Lawson, Rolf Harris, Tony Bennett]

Lady Fiona (631 points) 4 hits

[George Alagiah, Kenneth McAlpine, Rolf Harris, Tony Bennett]

Famous4Eva (630 points) 2 hits

[Angel Wagenstein*, Chris Snow]

Diego (627 points) 6 hits

[Felix Sienra, Gianluca Vialli, Giorgio Napolitano, King Constantine, Milan Kundera, Rolf Harris]

BabyBlue (585 points) 5 hits

[Greta Anderson, Guido Gorgatti, Helene Carrere D’Encausse Horse-Dieter Hottges, Leonard Pietraszak]

The Old Crem (526 points) 6 hits

[Frank McGarvey, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Mary Quant, Rolf Harris, Ryiuchi Sakamoto]

Book (460 points) 5 hits

[Burt Bacharach, Gina Lollobrigida, Harry Belafonte, Inga Swenson, Maria Sebaldt]

Msc (438 points) 2 hits

[Bob Barker, Tony Bennett]

DeathBecomesThem (433 points) 4 hits

[Chaim Topol, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Pat Robertson]

GrimUpNorth (424 points) 5 hits

[Frank McGarvey, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Rolf Harris, Ryiuchi Sakamoto]

Sean (389 points) 4 hits

[Gina Lollobrigida, Gordon McQueen, Harry Belafonte, Nora Forster]

Great Uncle Bulgaria (360 points) 4 hits

[Bob Barker, Gina Lollobrigida, Lucille Randon, Nigel Lawson]

John Key (333 points) 2 hits

[George Alagiah, Rolf Harris]

WhoamI (310 points) 3 hits

[Ken Archer, Stella Stevens, Ted Kaczynski]

ChckenCobra (271 points) 1 hit

[Diane Feinstein]

Im Not Hades (271 points) 4 hits

[David Crosby, Harry Belafonte, Mary Quant, Miroslav Blasevic]

Bibliogryphon (228 points) 1 hit

[Michael Parkinson]

LizLemon (211 points) 2 hits

[Burt Bacharach, Frederic Forrest]

JoeMoneypenny (210 points) 3 hits

[Hsing Yun, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Wan Haifeng]

TheKillingTime (170 points) 1 hit

[Claude Sarraute]

WhenThe (138 points) 2 hits

[Albert Ndele, Jim Broyhill]

GooseberryCrumble (116 points) 2 hits

[Dick Fosbury, Raquel Welch]

Time (81 points) 1 hit

[Peter Shelley]

Death By Arsenic (0 points) 0 hit

Pedro69 (0 points) 0 hit

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It would appear that @BabyBluehas had a quick-fire double, with Phyllis Latour being quickly followed by Finnish ex-President Martti Ahtisaari. 

7th October: Phyllis Latour

16th October: Martti Ahtisaari

Only 2 hits (that I am aware of - feel free to enlighten me about any more), but they are important ones.

Babyblue's double jumps them up from the lower half of the pack all the way up into 8th place, and in a strong position to make a move for the top with only 7 picks down and a Joker still to play. As I've said before - this game is only getting going!

However the big winner in this mini-update is @wannamakerwho's selection of Ahtisaari has seen them take the lead. Is it too soon to be leading? Long way to go to the finish line, and all the chasers have the advantage of more potential hits. I suspect Wannamaker will need to keep a close watch on their Joker Rob Burrow if they want to still be ahead when the race is run.

Here is the top-8. Full leaderboard is on page 1. 

Wannamaker (1603 points) 11 hits

[Bob Barker, Frank McGarvey, George Alagiah, Giorgio Napolitano, King Constantine, Martti Ahtisaari, Milan Kundera, Pervez Musharraf, Rolf Harris, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Ted Kaczynski]

The Unknown Man (1394 points) 7 hits

[Bob Barker, George Alagiah*, Gianluca Vialli, Giorgio Napolitano, Milan Kundera, Rolf Harris, Ted Kaczynski]

Gcreptile (1271 points) 9 hits

[Burt Bacharach, Chris Snow, Daniel N Paul, Frederic Forrest, George Alagiah, Grant Turner, Haris Ibrahim, Menahem Pressler, William Consovoy]

[Federico Bahamontes, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Gina Lollobrigida, Milan Kundera, Rolf Harris*, Ted Kaczynski, Tony Bennett]

Yorkshire Banker (1208 points) 7 hits

[Dick Clarke, Dick Groat, Francoise Gilot, George Alagiah, Giorgio Napolitano, Hsing Yun, Winnie Ewing]

WEP (1204 points) 7 hits

BabyBlue (1152 points) 7 hits

[Greta Anderson, Guido Gorgatti, Helene Carrere D’Encausse, Horse-Dieter Hottges, Leonard Pietraszak, Martti Ahtisaari, Phyllis Latour]

• Like 1

Roland Griffiths is a hit for me here, I'm getting suspiciously close to the top.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Roland Griffiths is a hit for me here, I'm getting suspiciously close to the top.

Up into second I reckon. But you are not getting your own update for that! Hit the lead and I'll get interested.