Paul Bearer

Ideas and possibilities for 2024

Given the number of wrestling-related deaths of late, what about Jerry Lawler for 2024? Turns 74 in November, was clinically dead for 20 minutes after a heart attack a number of years ago, suffered a stroke earlier in the year, recovery reportedly not going as well as hoped. Made a brief appearance at Raw in Memphis last week, walked out unaided (albeit only a few steps) but uncharacteristically, didn't say anything nor was he offered the opportunity to do so.

On 06/09/2023 at 09:51, Lafaucheuse said:

Considering nothing changes, here is how the perfect deathlist 2024 would go according to me :

Spoiler

1. Jimmy Carter 
2. Rosalynn Carter (just for the sake of having these two on top spots)
3. Shane McGowan
4. Joanne Woodward 
5. James Whale
6. Jonnie Irwin
7. Linda Nolan
8. Frank Field
9. Henry Kissinger
10. Bernadette Chirac 
11. Diane Feinstein
12. Sonny Rollins
13. Nigel Starmer Smith
14. Shannen Doherty
15. Bobby Charlton 
16. Esther Rantzen
17. Jean Marie Le Pen
18. Sandra Day O'Connor
19. Mel Brooks
20. Dick Van Dyke
21. Emperor Akihito
22. Mitch McConnell
23. Jacques Delors
24. Norman Lear
25. Prunella Scales
26. Louis Farrakhan
27. Imelda Marcos
28. David Attenborough

29. Bob Newhart

30. Raul Castro

31. Vera Miles

32. King Salman of Saudi Arabia 

33. Kim Novak 

34. Douglas Hurd

35. Franz Beckenbauer 

36. Glynis Johns 

37. Robert Solow 

38. Eva Marie Saint

39. Buzz Aldrin 

40. Giorgio Napolitano 

41. Valentino

42. Rex Williams

43. Tippi Heren

44. Warren Buffett 

45. James Earl Jones

46. Rupert Murdoch

47. Sophia Loren

48. Liza Minnelli 

49. Pope Francis 

50. Ozzy Osbourne 

Without spoiling too much of my own Shadow List:

• Take out Buzz Aldrin, Warren Buffett, and Sophia Loren.
  • Add Willie Mays, William Russell, and June Lockhart.
  • It's too early to tell if McConnell or Akihito should be on the list. Doc Severinsen and Nikolai Ryzhkov are much safer picks.
  • Ted Turner and Bruce Willis have serious potential
  • Like 1

Ted Turner is a good suggestion.Bruce Willis I think it is too soon to pay him on next year unless he declines massively in the coming months.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, La Tombe said:

Add Françoise Hardy in the DL 2024

A decent shout.I feel like the committee are more likely to pick Brigette Bardot.

On 20/08/2023 at 14:15, Toast said:

In that case I offer actor John Cairney   born Feb 1930

[on A Night to Remember (1958), 2012]

"It's one of my favourite films and it seemed like a really big film to me at the time. It was a lovely story all about the realism of what could have really happened. Cameron's Titanic (1997) is very different. I think it began life as a film about the shipwreck and developed into the feature film. Theirs was very hi-tech, ours was high heart.

Leonardo DiCaprio played the same part I did, which was obviously fattened out for him. But it was the lower-class guy falling in love with the girl and the class borders being broken down and, while the steerage class were locked in, my character found a way out, and so did DiCaprio's. The difference was, he was paid thousands of pounds a second and I was paid £20 a day. I think Cameron forced him into some underwater feats I could never have done and they are very different films...

I really enjoyed A Night to Remember (1958), and it has lasted so well. It was film number four of my seven-picture deal with Rank at Pinewood. We would finish one, have a quick break and move on to the next one. The first I knew about it was when I was asked if I could do an Irish accent."

Too late for John Cairney - dies aged 93.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

How about Jean Lodge?

18 minutes ago, Lewd_Squirrel said:

How about Jean Lodge?

In terms of age yes

But I had to look up who she was - she will obit but there are probably more famous candidates - one for niche games

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

In terms of age yes

But I had to look up who she was - she will obit but there are probably more famous candidates - one for niche games

I only found out about her, recently, when I looked up Charles Shaughnessy, and saw that his mom was "famous", and still alive, and from England. lol

• Like 1

Had occasion to look up Wendy Craig (ninety next year) and noted that she hasn't appeared in anything since 2019, nor seemingly been interviewed subsequently.

• Like 1

Regarding Bruce Springsteen. What is likelihood that he keels over in the next 2 years based on his current health? General question.

• Like 1

The Boss is a notorious health freak iirc, lots of juices and gym sessions and for anyone in their 70s to be able to put on a four-hour show is a rare thing. Plus he'll have access to Barack Hussein Obama's adenochrome. On the other hand, knowing my luck, he'll keel over the day before I finally get tickets to see him.

• Like 3

Aw, Spade, I DID have tickets to see him this summer but I sold them. 

He's been doing a fairly static setlist from a very limited pool of songs, most of which I either dislike or am bored with hearing. Bruce's big attraction for me was that every show was unique, he took requests, you never knew what was coming next and he'd change the planned setlist spontaneously.  I just couldn't summon any enthusiasm.  He's also got very morbid, banging on about ageing and mortality. That's not what I want from a rock show.  I want to go home feeling uplifted, not reminded that we're all going to die.:rolleyes:

Four-hour shows are very rare, btw.  Three and a half used to be common, but on this tour shows have been a bit shorter than before, mostly just under three hours.  That's still great value, but I suspect he's been using a lot of NSAID painkillers which can be harmful at his age. Then god knows what shit he's on for his depression.  Too many pills may have come back to bite him.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 13/07/2023 at 17:23, msc said:

Watching the Dolly the Sheep documentary, Sir Ian Wilmut (now 79), the "father" of Dolly, has advanced Parkinsons now which "will significantly shorten his life". One to watch, obit certainty. 

@YoungWillz Actually a loss from my main team shortlist. That doc was practically an obit.

This is also two or three folk I've written down as they looked hellish who haven't made the new year so apologies to Alan Bennett fans in advance...

• Like 2

On 24/12/2022 at 00:55, arghton said:

Sheng Zhiyong 盛志勇 102-year-old expert in trauma surgery, burn treatment and surgery, radiation burn treatment.

If you're already thinking who to pick in Centenarians DP next year, Sheng Zhiyong, who is now 103 and established the first military ICU in China, survived a massive stroke in 2016 (as mentioned here on Fudan University's Alumni page in 2020...that's him in the first image with the nasogastric tube) and has been in extremely frail health and permanently hospitalised at Beijing's 301 Hospital since.

June Spencer is 105 next time is she considered at all? Or are we to assume she becomes one of the future supercentenarians?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Miranda lass said:

June Spencer is 105 next time is she considered at all? Or are we to assume she becomes one of the future supercentenarians?

This is the 8th time she's been suggested in this thread alone.

Please accepted this medal for being so special and original.

e184186d-fa75-4d39-8a30-f0f74b23c119.thumb.jpg.461879baeaa8c21805041da73976c7f5.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

This is the 8th time she's been suggested in this thread alone.
Please accepted this medal for being so special and original.

What about that groundbreaking list of 50 people a few posts up?  Surely that deserves an award for originality as well. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Quebec writer, actress and journalist Janette Bertrand (wiki) must be one of the most healthiest 98 years old woman ever : she looks and sounds 20 years younger in this video from a month ago, that's impressive !

• Like 1

On 05/01/2023 at 16:16, Sean said:

My top 50 suggestions for next years list

1)June Spencer

2)Glynis Johns

3)Charlie Munger

4)Carole Cook

5)Priscilla Pointer

6)Eva Marie Saint

7)Joyce Randolph

8)William Russell

9)June Lockhart

10)Gudrun Ure

11)Gene Shalit

12)Doreen Mantle

13)Leontyne Price

14)Teddie Beverley

15)James Watson

16)Marion Ross

17)James Ivory

18)Patricia Routledge

19 )James Hong

20) Peter Higgs

21)Thelma Barlow

22)Winnie Ewing

23)John Woodvine

24)Joan Plowright

25)Frances Sternhagen

26)Tippi Hedren

27)Buzz Aldrin

28)Gene Hackman

29)John Astin

30)Clive Revill

31)Clint Eastwood

32)George Soros

33)Warren Buffett

34)Bernie Ecclestone

35)Edna O'Brien

36)James Earl Jones

37)Claire Bloom

38)Rupert Murdoch

39)William Shatner

40)Leslie Caron

41)Clint Hill

42)John Williams

43)Michael Aspel

44)Michael Caine

45)Michael Heseltine

46)Sylvia Syms

47)Roberta Flack

48)Ted Turner

49)Joe Kinnear

50)Charlie Bird

@Sean I think this is a great list of ideas. Obviously minus the 4 deaths this year from your list (Carole Cook, Doreen Mantle, Winnie Ewing & Sylvia Syms) I think there is still great traction for next year with this list. 

• Like 1

On 05/01/2023 at 17:27, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Ken Livingstone  doesn't seem to be omnipresent in the media anymore.  Health issues?

Might be worth keeping an eye on.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12537437/London-mayor-Ken-Livingstone-diagnosed-Alzheimers-disease.html

Ken Livingstone has Alzheimers

• Like 5
  • Shocked 3