Paul Bearer

Ideas and possibilities for 2024

Will the assorted DDP players of this forum be going big on "astrologer's astrologer" Erin Sullivan, who I am reliably informed entered hospice care last weekend?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2023/12/09/hardest-working-royals-2023-revealed/

Princess Alexandra, who I suspect is in much frailer health than her elder brother the Duke of Kent,  given she has only performed 3 royal engagements this year , whilst he has performed over 60. The Duke of Kent looks pretty unhealthy but performed 60 engagements. It makes me wonder how frail she may be with only performing  3.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2023/12/09/hardest-working-royals-2023-revealed/

Princess Alexandra, who I suspect is in much frailer health than her elder brother the Duke of Kent,  given she has only performed 3 royal engagements this year , whilst he has performed over 60. The Duke of Kent looks pretty unhealthy but performed 60 engagements. It makes me wonder how frail she may be with only performing  3.

She does look a little frail on the official Coronation portrait, being held by Edward and the duchess of Edinburgh

9C418EF3-2616-4936-9F24-856BB21A7420.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

She does look a little frail on the official Coronation portrait, being held by Edward and the duchess of Edinburgh

9C418EF3-2616-4936-9F24-856BB21A7420.jpeg

Indeed and combined with a much lower number of engagements performed (she's  never been one not to pull her weight) it suggests the issue is quite severe and regular rather than the odd bad day.

I do recall there was some shall we say slightly unkind speculation on social media when that photo was published that maybe she'd had one too many alcoholic drinks celebrating the coronation and that's why she needed to be held up!

But I suspect her issues are more serious than being a bit tipsy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Indeed and combined with a much lower number of engagements performed (she's  never been one not to pull her weight) it suggests the issue is quite severe and regular rather than the odd bad day.

I do recall there was some shall we say slightly unkind speculation on social media when that photo was published that maybe she'd had one too many alcoholic drinks celebrating the coronation and that's why she needed to be held up!

But I suspect her issues are more serious than being a bit tipsy.

She has something called polymyalgia rheumatica, so the problem may be mobility and discomfort, rather than anything that's likely to kill her.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, arghton said:

Sergio Corona looking quite frail but insists that he's in good health:

sergiocorona.png.930509d41593bbf29312a716d6858824.png

Corona in coronary trouble, it seems :pop: Not a good sign at 95.

7 minutes ago, Toast said:

She has something called polymyalgia rheumatica, so the problem may be mobility and discomfort, rather than anything that's likely to kill her.

Oh right thanks for that.  I wasn't aware she'd  been diagnosed with anything. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jonah said:

Corona en problemas coronarios, parece  :estallido: No es una buena señal a los 95 años.

I plan to add him to my list of Deadpools for 2024, by the way 2024 will have +1 more day of possibilities since it is a leap year

• Like 3

Michael Wynn Jones. Delia Smith's other half. Co-owner of Norwich City. Aldo been an author, editor  and publisher in his own right. No mentions of any illness though he's now in his late 70's / early 80's and smokes like a chimney. Just as an outside bet.

• Like 1

39FB2627-A3A4-494D-A312-3D55CCB8E02E.thumb.jpeg.7d09b488b2e0b0f03a59c02a4e5be6cd.jpeg 

I have come back to tell all you fantastic people from across the Atlantic not to pick Johnny Mathis. I just went to one of his concerts in Rosemont and he is still very active and energetic on the stage, although a bit senile when he isn’t singing (such as needing to read certain monologues out of a book or outright repeating them when he did it impromptu). Sounds like something right out of his albums with that magical voice even now though and he truly enjoyed what he was doing on stage and how enthusiastic the audience was. He also keeps active because he mentioned he played golf with basically everyone he shouted out. He will survive 2024, if he doesn't I will leave the DeathList out of abject shame and embarrassment.

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1
  • Facepalm 1

Oh go on then, how I'd do it, as it stands.

DL2024

KEEP

Dick Van Dyke, Alan Greenspan, Nigel Starmer-Smith, Jimmy Carter, Dick Cheney, Mel Brooks, Jacques Delors, Robert Wagner, Norman Tebbit, Sandy Gall, Joanne Woodward, Ethel Kennedy, Stanley Baxter, Jean Marie le Pen, Cleo Laine, Pru Scales, Yoko Ono, Robert Duvall, Imelda Marcos, Pete Murray, Bob Newhart, Willie Nelson, Dennis Skinner, Sonny Rollins, Linda Nolan.

REMOVE

Desmond Morris, Alan Alda, Marianne Faithfull, Angie Dickinson, Khamenei, Hal Linden, Andy Taylor

RETURNEES

Douglas Hurd (old and frail), Noam Chomsky (apparently very ill), James Whale (cancer well noted), David Attenborough (ancient, A list, and shouldn't be off the list), Shannen Doherty (bad mix of cancer metastases), Denis Law (ill and unusually quiet)

tbh if Ozzy or Liza returned I'd rather axe Cleo Laine or Sandy Gall than take a spot from a newcomer. Too many decent picks out there.

NEWCOMERS

June Spencer, Glynis Johns (ancient and frail), David Graham (very frail and ancient, stroke complications), Jim Lovell, Patricia Routledge (A list and in care home now), Gene Hackman, Clint Eastwood (both 94 and too big to miss), Rupert Murdoch (sudden retirement puts him in frame imo), Brian Blessed (big guy, old and just bereaved, bad combo), Pope Francis (on his way out imo), Roberta Flack (terminally ill A lister), Tom Baker (legend, frail), Bruce Willis (huge star, very ill, 50/50 to go in 2024), Franz Beckenbauer (massive football name, allegedly very ill), Patrick Murray (terminally ill sitcom star), Esther Rantzen (terminally ill UK household name and pest), Joe Bugner (big name boxer, very ill, a very DL name), Sly Stone (music legend, very poor health), Sam Neill (big star with cancer)

I chose between Glynis Johns and Eva Marie Saint, David Graham and William Russell, Jim Lovell and Buzz Aldrin, Franz Beckenbauer and Mario Zagallo (Zagallo iller but Beckenbauer seems more DL Cmme friendly) and there was just no room for Frank Field or Michael Aspel. I dont see them going for Toby Keith, Louis Van Gaal, Janey Godley etc etc.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

On 06/09/2023 at 16:51, Lafaucheuse said:

Considering nothing changes, here is how the perfect deathlist 2024 would go according to me :
1. Jimmy Carter 
2. Rosalynn Carter (just for the sake of having these two on top spots)
3. Shane McGowan
4. Joanne Woodward 
5. James Whale
6. Jonnie Irwin
7. Linda Nolan
8. Frank Field
9. Henry Kissinger
10. Bernadette Chirac 
11. Diane Feinstein
12. Sonny Rollins
13. Nigel Starmer Smith
14. Shannen Doherty
15. Bobby Charlton 
16. Esther Rantzen
17. Jean Marie Le Pen
18. Sandra Day’O Connor
19. Mel Brooks
20. Dick Van Dyke
21. Emperor Akihito
22. Mitch McConnell
23. Jacques Delors
24. Norman Lear
25. Prunella Scales
26. Louis Farrakhan
27. Imelda Marcos
28. David Attenborough

29. Bob Newhart

30. Raul Castro

31. Vera Miles

32. King Salman of Saudi Arabia 

33. Kim Novak 

34. Douglas Hurd

35. Franz Beckenbauer 

36. Glynis Johns 

37. Robert Solow 

38. Eva Marie Saint

39. Buzz Aldrin 

40. Giorgio Napolitano 

41. Valentino

42. Rex Williams

43. Tippi Hedren

44. Warren Buffett 

45. James Earl Jones

46. Rupert Murdoch

47. Sophia Loren

48. Liza Minnelli 

49. Pope Francis 

50. Ozzy Osbourne 

The top 10/20 seems pretty strong ! I feel like I'm forgetting an obvious name in the top 10 though… 

Well, to replace these 8 picks, I suggest : Noam Chomsky, Denis Law, Shannen Doherty, Bruce Willis, Brigitte Bardot, Daniel Barenboim, Ethel Kennedy and Clint Eastwood 

• Like 1

On 16/08/2023 at 14:43, gcreptile said:

Andrew Ranken, drummer for The Pogues has COPD and has not been well for quite some time (according to TWITTER):

https://www.hackneycitizen.co.uk/2023/07/05/ex-pogues-drummer-charity-single-st-josephs-hospice/

He's not in hospice, only made a charity record for them ... for later?

Andrew Ranken was not at Shane MacGowan's funeral:

https://americansongwriter.com/watch-the-pogues-reunite-for-moving-performance-of-the-bands-the-parting-glass-at-shane-macgowans-funeral/

Andy Cameron is 83.

Which makes him a warlock for a Scotsman to live that long. :lol:

• Haha 2

On 13/12/2023 at 17:05, Lafaucheuse said:

Shannen Doherty

Already Nr. 14...

On 20/08/2023 at 14:29, msc said:

If Duncan Campbell is still alive (we were on a cautious yes the other year) he was a Glasgow lad.

Awaiting confirmation still but I think we fucked up on this. Apparently he died in Weymouth in the last quarter of 2013.

• Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Andrew Marr looks rough at Piers Morgan’s Christmas party. 

I had drinks with Marr in late October. He seemed fine, very high energy. We were exchanging stories about growing up in Scotland.

• Like 4

Recently watched a documentary on Youtube about Holocaust survivor and Dutch psychiatrist Herman van Praag that was made by his own grandson a couple of years ago. Turns out he is still alive at the age of 94.

• Like 1

I've been watching Quentin Tarantino's favourite B-movies lately. Their director Jack Hill, born 1933, is still alive:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Hill

He was mentioned in the Happy Birthday thread before.

• Like 2

As they have run out of ideas for TV shows and are rebooting Gladiators AGAIN, everybodys favourite Scottish TV ref, John Anderson, might be worthy of a spot on the list.  The 92 year old had a heart attack in 2015

• Like 2