drol

49. Franz Beckenbauer

1 hour ago, Genfærd said:

Wonder what headline they'll use. Surely, they'll come up with a pun on "der Kaizer".

im not creative so i would just guess "dead kaizer" or something

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genfærd said:

Wonder what headline they'll use. Surely, they'll come up with a pun on "der Kaizer".

Der Kaiser has abdicated.

• Like 1

On 07/01/2023 at 15:32, drol said:

Greatest German footballer to ever live, now in poor health and unable to attend both the World Cup and Pelé's funeral. Though he is very private on his health issues, he has recently revealed he is "doing well considering his condition", which is not so reassuring. Also looking very thin and yellowish. 80 seems a tall order.

Auftritt mit Ehefrau und Sohn: "Wenn es so bleibt, bin ich zufrieden"

Hats off, he died exactly one year after I started the thread.

• Like 6

Earlier today I read this article about the Beckenbauer documentary I mentioned before:

https://www.spiegel.de/sport/fussball/franz-beckenbauer-doku-in-der-ard-wir-altersmilden-a-7b03afd9-510f-45f6-b075-8d8aa03037c1

Final line of that article review is "it almost sounds like an obituary":

It's being shown on free TV for the first time today. Perfect timing or just a little awkward?

• Like 3

I guess this means that in 13 months, we've lost the talisman of the 1966, 1970 and 1974 world cup winning sides - Bobby Charlton, Pele and Franz Beckenbauer. 1962 and 1958 too if you include Pele for those too. End of an era in many ways, given we've already lost some of the other stars of that era - Muller, Cruyff and Eusebio.

9 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Earlier today I read this article about the Beckenbauer documentary I mentioned before:

https://www.spiegel.de/sport/fussball/franz-beckenbauer-doku-in-der-ard-wir-altersmilden-a-7b03afd9-510f-45f6-b075-8d8aa03037c1

Final line of that article review is "it almost sounds like an obituary":

It's being shown on free TV for the first time today. Perfect timing or just a little awkward?

Same thing happened in the UK with notorious pisshead/occasional TV chef Keith Floyd in 2009. Had a documentary about his life and career broadcast at 9pm September 14th, later turned out he'd died around 6pm the same day.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Same thing happened in the UK with notorious pisshead/occasional TV chef Keith Floyd in 2009. Had a documentary about his life and career broadcast at 9pm September 14th, later turned out he'd died around 6pm the same day.

The Nelson Mandela film premiere ending with the news that he had died another big example of bad timing. 

• Like 2

For the first time in DL history we have three hits in the month of January!!!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

mostly similar in the us when a documentary was released about john madden only for him to die like 2 days later 

• Like 1

On 28/12/2023 at 13:08, Deathrace said:

Any evidence of any of his German contemporaries appearing as talking heads in this documentary? 

So, Günther Netzer, Paul Breitner and Sepp Maier have appeared so far.

They have aged since I last saw them, Breitner a little more than Netzer, but nothing to worry about. I think Netzer might be the Geoff Hurst of 1974.

Funnily, Wolfgang Schäuble appears as a talking head. He looks quite sick, and of course, has died since then.

There's also Matthias Sammer who looks quite unhealthy to me.

Arie Haas represents the Dutch. He's looking okay in his beach property.

• Like 1

Not only the greatest German player of all time but arguably also the greatest European player of all time. By changing how the sweeper/central defender role is played he completely revolutionized the game, which is something only a very, very small group of players can say. The fact that some people on this forum have never heard of him but probably have heard of Harry Maguire and John Stones makes me sad. RIP.

• Like 2

Do you think he will QO?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

So, Günther Netzer, Paul Breitner and Sepp Maier have appeared so far.

They have aged since I last saw them, Breitner a little more than Netzer, but nothing to worry about. I think Netzer might be the Geoff Hurst of 1974.

Funnily, Wolfgang Schäuble appears as a talking head. He looks quite sick, and of course, has died since then.

There's also Matthias Sammer who looks quite unhealthy to me.

Arie Haas represents the Dutch. He's looking okay in his beach property.

Sepp Maier was in the West Germany 1966 squad. Probably a decent bet to be one of the last survivors for squad members from that tournament 

• Like 2

WOW Guys, Three in a Row!!

Brace ourselves.... President Carter is coming!!!

"Supe que alguien me quería": Jimmy Carter, de 99 años, encabezó el funeral  de su esposa Rosalynn | Perfil

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jondarru said:

WOW Guys, Three in a Row!!

Brace ourselves.... President Carter is coming!!!

"Supe que alguien me quería": Jimmy Carter, de 99 años, encabezó el funeral  de su esposa Rosalynn | Perfil

I haven’t seen this picture before. Could you post it in the Jimmy Carter thread pls?

• Haha 6
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, Summer in Transylvania said:

I suppose, if we consider the list to be for 2004, Benedict is able to qualify. Good save.

Screenshot_20240108_222842_com.duckduckgo.mobile.android_edit_208209520801562.jpg

Who’s this Benedict guy? Never heard of him, pretty sure John Paul II is still the pope…

• Like 1

Fair play to the committee so far, at this rate we'll enter July with nobody left to die

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

R.I.P.

'Got No Franz'...fair play, not bad. Things are on the up from -ost/toast. 

• Facepalm 1

This list is on fire.

He died yesterday (7th) in his sleep, which means we had 3 hits in the first week. A strange coincidence is that @drol started the thread exactly a year before his death.

You know who else lasted 365 days on this forum? Deathrow66.

• Like 7

Ngl 3 deaths in the first week of the year is pretty incredible

• Like 2