Joey Russ

Who Should Be On The 2024 Deathlist

2 minutes ago, Perhaps said:

You fuckers will take any thread and make it about US politics. Why can't you be normal and suggest some random 90 year-old?

all right so my non political thoughts.....Christina Applegate, David Suzuki (former host of The Nature of Things, Canadian environmentalist}, Margaret Trudeau... mother of current Canadian Prime minister and  former spouse of the late Pierre Elliott Trudeau,  Carol Burnett, and Barbara Eden

12 hours ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

Paul Dooley to replace Ackland (actors)

Despite approaching 96, Dooley is looking and sounding like a man with another 3-4 years left, if you see his latest Cameo videos (latest one claimed to be from October 16). A wiser replacement for Ackland would be Earl Holliman unless he goes before 2024.

Another name I saw mentioned earlier in this thread which I similarly disagree with is William Daniels, also highly active on Cameo, looking and sounding like he has another 2-3 years left.

In fact, I would not be very surprised if Dooley and Daniels are future centenarians. They'll certainly both get near 100.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, RetroGamer47 said:

Another possibility is Christina Pickles who played Ross and Monica's mom on Friends.

She also played the Sorceress, in the Masters of the Universe movie.

6 minutes ago, Lewd_Squirrel said:

She also played the Sorceress, in the Masters of the Universe movie.

Yeah, she did. Which is funny because that makes Friends the second thing she and Courtney Cox acted in together.

• Like 1

My personal choices.

Louis Conter - Centenarian, Pearl Harbor and last USS Arizona survivor. Very likely to get a UK obit due to the significance of his ship in the events of the attack.

Tom Stafford - Jim Lovell has already been mentioned so I'm putting in Tom Stafford as my astronaut pick. He's extremely frail and he seems to have slowed down a lot recently.

Jack Nicholson - I feel like now is the right time to put him on, he's 86 now and I honestly don't see him living past 90.

Vanessa Redgrave - In declining health, should return to DL in 2024 in my opinion.

Ken Rosewall - Lot of the big name footballers with DL potential have died recently and I think maybe it's time for a change of sport, so I suggest tennis player Ken Rosewall. In a group photo with Frank Sedgman, Rod Laver and Neale Fraser earlier this year, he seemed to be in the worst shape of the bunch by far.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Drewsky1211 said:

Why not both?

Considering past presidential runner-up picks like Bob Dole and John McCain, I suggest Michael Dukakis (both 90 years old and a US politician).

He’s still alive??

How about Fred Housego, the cabby that won Mastermind all those years ago. 79yrs old, diabetic, though he has slimmed down a bit. The reason he comes to mind is that he was mentioned by Jack Dee on I'm sorry I haven't a clue last night. Not heard anything about him for years. 

13 hours ago, Drewsky1211 said:

Why not both?

Considering past presidential runner-up picks like Bob Dole and John McCain, I suggest Michael Dukakis (both 90 years old and a US politician).

Not so sure about Dukakis imo. Looks he was just able to do a full interview this month for his 90th birthday, and he looks pretty good in the pictures: https://commonwealthbeacon.org/politics/at-90-michael-dukakis-still-looks-ahead/

• Like 6

How about Sir Frederick Barclay? 89, lost his twin brother nearly 3 years ago and the state of The Telegraph financially can't have helped with stress.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JustPassingThrough said:

Not so sure about Dukakis imo. Looks he was just able to do a full interview this month for his 90th birthday, and he looks pretty good in the pictures: https://commonwealthbeacon.org/politics/at-90-michael-dukakis-still-looks-ahead/

I used to work with him; he sounds like his usual self. Last time I saw him in person was 2018. His wife always seemed to be in worse health than him; she's still getting electroshock treatment as far as I know. They had a routine of always having dinner together every night at 6pm, not disrupted except on the 1988 campaign trail. Such a very attached couple.

• Like 2

Think any notable US presidential children/grandchildren could be a shout, a lot of newspapers/news sites often obit them (although they're mostly low hanging fruit due to their age).

•  Harrison Ruffin Tyler (John Tyler's grandson, turning 96 next year, was mentioned several times across the forums and when it was discovered he's still alive the news got pretty big media coverage; additionally, he's been suffering from dementia for the last 11 years and had multiple mini-strokes)
  • Eleanor Roosevelt Seagraves (FDR's granddaughter, turning 97 in March, she and her brother Curtis-who died in 2016-were pretty popular in 1930s as "Buzzie and Sistie", she often attends Democratic events; she gave an interview in May this year and still looks sharp, but at her age it can change at any given moment)

• John Roosevelt Boettiger (another FDR's grandchild, half-brother to Eleanor, turns 85 next year, widower and retired psychology professor; pretty much a stretch, but one for the future? Maybe, maybe not, more likely not, but still.)

• Franklin D. Roosevelt III (same deal as John, turns 86 next year, retired economist and academic close to Hillary Clinton, haven't seen many news about him recently so I really can't judge)

• Luci Baines Johnson (Lyndon B. Johnson's daughter, turns 77 next year, philantropist; seemingly in good health at the moment but she suffered from pretty rare Guillain–Barré syndrome back in 2010) and her sister Lynda Bird Johnson Robb (who turns 80 next year and is currently the oldest living presidential child)

• Susan Ford Bales (Gerald Ford's daughter, the youngest person on this list-turns 67 next year-but suffers from heart problems and has been living with a pacemaker for the last 13 years, so possibly a name for a distant future?)

I know most names on the list seem like a long stretch, but I also think that some of them on it could be considered for the DL, in the future at least that is.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, LWCZ said:

Think any notable US presidential children/grandchildren could be a shout, a lot of newspapers/news sites often obit them (although they're mostly low hanging fruit due to their age).

•  Harrison Ruffin Tyler (John Tyler's grandson, turning 96 next year, was mentioned several times across the forums and when it was discovered he's still alive the news got pretty big media coverage; additionally, he's been suffering from dementia for the last 11 years and had multiple mini-strokes)
  • Eleanor Roosevelt Seagraves (FDR's granddaughter, turning 97 in March, she and her brother Curtis-who died in 2016-were pretty popular in 1930s as "Buzzie and Sistie", she often attends Democratic events; she gave an interview in May this year and still looks sharp, but at her age it can change at any given moment)

• John Roosevelt Boettiger (another FDR's grandchild, half-brother to Eleanor, turns 85 next year, widower and retired psychology professor; pretty much a stretch, but one for the future? Maybe, maybe not, more likely not, but still.)

• Franklin D. Roosevelt III (same deal as John, turns 86 next year, retired economist and academic close to Hillary Clinton, haven't seen many news about him recently so I really can't judge)

• Luci Baines Johnson (Lyndon B. Johnson's daughter, turns 77 next year, philantropist; seemingly in good health at the moment but she suffered from pretty rare Guillain–Barré syndrome back in 2010) and her sister Lynda Bird Johnson Robb (who turns 80 next year and is currently the oldest living presidential child)

• Susan Ford Bales (Gerald Ford's daughter, the youngest person on this list-turns 67 next year-but suffers from heart problems and has been living with a pacemaker for the last 13 years, so possibly a name for a distant future?)

I know most names on the list seem like a long stretch, but I also think that some of them on it could be considered for the DL, in the future at least that is.

None of them is even remotely DL-worthy.

• Like 6
  • Shocked 1

I think the Pope's recent health history should earn him a spot on the list. The Dalai Lama is also turning 89 next year. Two names that would be big misses.

• Like 4

Richard Franklin- 87, increasingly frail with a long history of poor health and major surgery

Françoise Hardy- 79, long-time cancer sufferer, was said to be 'close to the end' in 2021, fan of euthanasia

Kenneth Cope- 92, has suffered COPD for the last 20 years

Phyllida Law- 91, has had Parkinson's for nearly 10 years

Julie Sommars- 83, has mobility issues (wheelchair bound since 2018 at latest), Golden Globe winner for The Governor & J.J., Matlock role and Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo makes her qualify

Michael Moriarty- 82, history of alcoholism and heavy smoking in 1990s, Law & Order role makes him DL worthy

Barbara Babcock- 86, battling Parkinson's for 20 years, TV Emmy Winner for Hill Street Blues makes her eligible for DL

As Katherine Helmond and Robert Guillaume got BBC Obits, so should all the above, including the last three lesser known candidates in the UK.

• Like 4

I hope I'm wrong but I still think there's something in Dame Julie Walters' absence since February.

Not political

New entry ✓

Actually DL-worthy ✓

• Like 11

Sadly I also agree Julie Walters needs to be considered. It feels concerning, 

• Like 1

Some suggestions from me include: Kim Novak, Priscilla Pointer, Debra Paget, Carroll Baker, Tim Curry, Cindy Birdsong, Frankie Valli, Linda Ronstadt, Geoffrey Boycott and Ray Reardon

• Like 3

few others names that I haven't seen mentioned a lot and that are 100% DL worthy

- Yayoi Kusama : mentioned here, cult pike and imo, the only artist who's 100% worthy of her own thread and DL inclusion. 

- James Ivory, Woody Allen and Roman Polanski : I know Eastwood will probably be the only filmmaker to make it into the list, but Woody Allen has looked decrepit for years, Ivory is 96 next year (and famous enough) and Polanski's turning 91 with sexual assault condamnation and everything. I don't see any of them reaching 2026. 

- Isabel Peron : if there is one politician that has been overlooked, it's her. 93 next year, president of Argentina is, I think, famous enough to guarantee tons of qo. Was said to be in poor health a few years ago.

- Petula Clark : I always thought she'd be the kind of picks the committee would love. Still, she has been overlooked a lot. Just turned 91 and famous enough.

- Quincy Jones : nearly died of Covid if I remember well (do I?) or at least was hospitalized a while ago. 91 next year and ofc famous enough.

- Raoni : presumably 91 this year, quite frail in his last appearances, I think he'd be a great pick for non-eu interests and legendary enough

- Quentin Blake : few mentions a while ago and nothing since, 91 in two weeks, doesn't seem like a committee pick but a personal favorite of mine and famous enough

- Berry Gordy and Clive Davis : weird that they're hardly mentioned here as they're two of the most influential and prominent music produced of all time. Gordy's turning 94 in a few days, Davis is 92. Gordy will probably go first. Should deserve a place on next year's list imo

- Don King : wasn't he hospitalized earlier this year ? or rumoured dead ? anyway, at 92, wouldn't be such a bad pick even though he might be less famous than others in this list

- Caroll Burnett : still active apparently and doesn't look bad for a 90 woman but an icon and her camp attitude seems like the kind of thing that attracts the committee. And myself. 

- Jane Goodall : a more niche name maybe but a personal favorite. Dunno how her health is but she's 90 and should be considered. 

- Valentino and Giorgio Armani : I campaigned for the inclusion of Mary Quant last year. Turned out I was right but was she famous enough ? Imo yes but not for the committee. These two seem way more famous and at 91 and 89, I'd say they'd be great addition

- Rita Moreno, Mitzi Gaynor : famous enough, old enough, Gaynor hasn't been seen in a while. Moreno still here and there but a shame that they're not mentioned that much here.

- Franki Valli : this one seems to me like the kind to drop dead from nowhere. Canceled a few show this year. Still touring but for how much longer ? He's 100% cult enough and has been overlooked for way too long, at nearly 90 he deserves his spot.

- Warren Buffett : in case you're bored of Murdoch… 

- Shirley McLaine and Warren Beatty : just for the sake of having siblings on the list. McLaine's turning 90 next year, former Oscar winner and icon. Her brother seemed a little frail for his 85 birthday and in recent appearances

• Like 6

15 hours ago, TQR said:

I hope I'm wrong but I still think there's something in Dame Julie Walters' absence since February.

Not political

New entry ✓

Actually DL-worthy ✓

I agree with you. Her "absence" is a little bit worrying and Harry Potter's actors are not in good spirit at the moment (Gambon, Coltrane ...)

By the way, I add Maggie Smith in the suggestions : 89 years old, she looks frail in latest outings and she is an iconic actress.

May be she could live another year but I won't be surprised if she dies soon

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

- James Ivory, Woody Allen and Roman Polanski : I know Eastwood will probably be the only filmmaker to make it into the list, but Woody Allen has looked decrepit for years, Ivory is 96 next year (and famous enough) and Polanski's turning 91 with sexual assault condamnation and everything. I don't see any of them reaching 2026. 

I think Allen and Polanski could probably live many more years actually. Allen had a centenarian father (his mother wasn't far off either) and he's always been very health-conscious, and based on his recent appearances he hasn't seemed to have had any real decline. Polanski looks great too I'd say, and I figure he'll probably make another movie given his latest was so trashed. Ivory could have a couple years left IMO, he seems pretty healthy still, but he's old enough that I wouldn't object to him on the list.

I notice Norman Jewison hasn't been mentioned yet, but I'd like to see him on the list eventually. He's not a guy I'd be too surprised to see reach 100 (he wrote a fairly long tribute to Alan Arkin this year, so he's probably doing well) but there aren't many filmmakers as old and notable as him still going.

• Like 2

Eugenia Cooney. A lot of you just need to brush your opinions about her aside and realise that she will obit regardless of how you all feel about it. More interesting than the random 90s olds that are floating around here. 

Would be great if the deathlist just got with the times?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 20/11/2023 at 18:56, Fantomasss said:

May be 1 or 2 famous names in classical music ? They are a lot to be in bad health : Seiji Ozawa, Daniel Baremboim, Martha Argerich, Zubin Mehta, Michael Tilson Thomas

György Kurtág is one too.

The Guardian published an interview with him in August where he says his "greatest desire is to lay next to Márta" (his wife, who died in 2019). He's still quite sharp but now 97 years old, completely wheelchairbound and I recall he's battled some ailments during the last five years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Charles De Gaulle said:

Eugenia Cooney. A lot of you just need to brush your opinions about her aside and realise that she will obit regardless of how you all feel about it. More interesting than the random 90s olds that are floating around here.

Would be great if the deathlist just got with the times?

She may well obit, but the fact is that the vast majority have never heard of her.

I'd like to see Patricia Routledge on the 2024 list.

I'm a great admirer of her entire body of work.

• Like 4