An Fear Beag

HARE'S DEATH POOL 2024

3 minutes ago, Toast said:

I think AFB's referring to the DDP.

But your DDP team name doesn't have to be your DL name.

https://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2024/teams.html#DDPTeamsalmon21

I could swear he's referring to this game.... the one we're in the thread for.  I'm aware my DDP name doesn't have to match my forum name.

3 minutes ago, Toast said:

I think AFB's referring to the DDP.

But your DDP team name doesn't have to be your DL name.

https://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2024/teams.html#DDPTeamsalmon21

Indeed, The Salmon Mousse used to be a DDP regular run by either Salmonmousse or TheSalmonMousse, to the point that when Salmon Mousse showed up, yours truly originally thought it was the old team back until corrected.

4 minutes ago, msc said:

Indeed, The Salmon Mousse used to be a DDP regular run by either Salmonmousse or TheSalmonMousse, to the point that when Salmon Mousse showed up, yours truly originally thought it was the old team back until corrected.

There is no TheSalmonMousse. There is, however, The Salmon Mousse (with spaces). 

Now if someone wants to grab the user name TheSalmonMousse to go along with @Salmon Mousse @SalmonMousseand @The Salmon Mousse, that will really mess about with peoples heads!

What's the fuck is the attraction of salmon mousse?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, An Fear Beag said:

What's the fuck is the attraction of salmon mousse?

It's a Monty Python reference.

The full scene is here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoBTsMJ4jNk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, An Fear Beag said:

There is no TheSalmonMousse. There is, however, The Salmon Mousse (with spaces). 

Now if someone wants to grab the user name TheSalmonMousse to go along with @Salmon Mousse @SalmonMousseand @The Salmon Mousse, that will really mess about with peoples heads!

Well, I don't think you'll ever have an issue with the third one participating.  Like I said a few posts ago: That was the username I originally tried to go with but you can imagine my frustration in find it was in use but not actually in use... and never was.  Does the site ever do sweeps of these type of inactive squatters?  That particular name was created in 2011 and has not a single whisper of activity since it's creation.

4 hours ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Does the site ever do sweeps of these type of inactive squatters?  That particular name was created in 2011 and has not a single whisper of activity since it's creation.

Occasionally, yes. When I joined I wanted Brown Bread, but that was taken, so I went for Toast because

Toast IS brown bread

It's also a slang term for "dead"

It's got a cheerful vibe as in raising a glass

Much later, I think it was @Paul Bearer messaged me to say I could change to Brown Bread as he was doing a clear-out and the person had never posted.  I declined as I think Toast is better.

• Like 3

I put a DDP team together in late 2011, then saw I needed a team name, panicked, and just wrote Pan Breed (as in "deid") and by now there's no point changing it. 

1 hour ago, Toast said:

It's a Monty Python reference.

The full scene is here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoBTsMJ4jNk

Ah - that all makes sense now- thanks for the explanation. I have tried to watch that film several times over the years, and gave up bored half way through. Never got that far.

What doesn't make sense is why the Admins allowed the user name Salmon Mousse when there was already a SalmonMousse. Would have made more sense to delete the obsolete The Salmon Mousse name and allow that to be used again, as requested. At least it would have been a little different. 

Oops, I thought I already posted my team in here but I didn't...

Ágnes Keleti

Annie Proulx

Anthony Hopkins

Bibi Johns

Bill Cosby

Christiane F.

Earl Holliman

Edward, Duke of Kent

Estelle Parsons

Garrett Morris

Horst Mahler

Iris Apfel  29.08.1921 - 01.03.2024

Isabel Perón

John Standing

Joyce Randolph 21.10.1924 – 13.01.2024

Maria Riva  (Joker)

Mario Zagallo 09.08.1931 – 05.01.2024

Peter Weck

Roger Corman

Rupert Murdoch

Ruth Maria Kubitschek

Stanley Baxter

Teddie Beverley

Valentino Garavani

Vic Seixas

• Like 1

I had Jonnie Irwin listed.

On 02/02/2024 at 20:02, ladyfiona said:

I had Jonnie Irwin listed.

Yeah - you and 26 others!

There's an hour of my Sunday gone :tantrum:

• Like 1

A little bit of housekeeping to be done, before I get around to sorting out the hits.

Firstly, Mairin Hughes, Ireland's oldest person, was named on my team for this year. This was despite the fact that:

a. She died on September 5th 2023

b. She was on my team in 2023

c. I actually awarded the points for her when she died on September 5th 2023. 

Don't worry - I have subjected myself to the same level of ridicule as I would have done to any of the rest of you! Former footballer Peter McPartland moves up of the subs bench to take her place. 

Secondly, and more controversially, former Scottish footballer Stuart Gray (born 1973) has died. Stuart Gray was named on @Etushispushingupdaisiesteam for 2024. So what's the problem? Well Etush named Stuart Gray (football) on the team. And when I googled Stuart Gray Football back in December, the first name that came up was the English footballer Stuart Gray (born 1960), so that is the name that went on the masterlist. Now if you google it, the Scottish footballer comes up first, presumably because of all the recent activity surrounding his death.

The rules are pretty clear on this:

"If the host is not certain who a pick is (which to be fair is actually most picks), the player will be assigned the first living name that comes up on a google search, regardless of how young, healthy, or obviously-not-the-intended-pick they are. If no suitable name comes up on page 1 of a google search, the pick will be disregarded and a sub will move up.

For example, if you wish to select John Smith, the former Wigan and Oldham player who is now head coach at Cornell University, then perhaps enter John Smith (Cornell Coach).

If you enter John Smith with no description, then page 1 of a Google search gives the explorer of Pocahantas fame and the dead former Labour leader, and so the pick will be invalid. If you enter John Smith (football) then the first living person who comes up is the former New England Patriots kicker who will then be your (probably better) pick."

So it's tough luck @EtushispushingupdaisiesI'm afraid. You miss out on the huge 26 points on offer. On the positive side, you still have an active (albeit apparently healthy) pick on your team!

• Haha 1

On 09/01/2024 at 07:09, Shamalka Amarasekera said:

Iam sorry....tnx

Aren't you able to go back and edit that big quote down to what's pertinent?

And so the carnage continues. After players got stung by the early deaths of Glynis Johns and Franz Beckenbauer, everyone hoped for a quiet few months for their teams. It didn't happen of course, as the Reaper continued the busy start to his year by knocking out pool-favourites Jonnie Irwin and Toby Keith in quick order. Irwin was the third most popular pick this year with 27 backers, while Keith also made the team of most popular picks with 14 selections. These are the fallers I have since the last update - let me know if I have missed any obscure deaths.

17th January: Jaako Valtanen

19th January: Jack Burke Jr.

20th January: Norman Jewison

25th January: Jason Smith

25th January: Roger Donlan

30th January: Chita Rivera

2nd February: Jonnie Irwin

5th February: Toby Keith

It has been a grim start to the year for "favourites backers" with 4 of the most popular picks gone in the first 6 weeks of competition.

And it is a Grim look to the leaderboard as @Grim Up Northused their Irwin Joker and the picks of Keith and Smith to take the lead at the (far too) early stage of the race. @RadGuyalso jokered Irwin to lie in second, while @Etushispushingupdaisieshas put the disappointment of the Stuart Gray miss behind them to sit in third place. @wannamakercontinues their nightmare start to the year with 5 picks down for a mere 81 points, while further down the field @nantonian2013picks up a third hit in Jack Burke Jr, to leave them on 26 points after 3 hits, a quite impressive 8.66 points per hit. 

The popularity of Irwin and Keith has brought a lot of players into the race properly, with now only 15 players sitting idle on the sidelines. Among them are 2023 champion @Dying Probably, twice champion @Death Impends, and perennial contender @Wormfarmer. Very ominous on all counts.

Here are the top 12 - full scoreboard is on page 1.

GrimUpNorth (127 points) 4 hits

[Derek Draper, Jason Smith, Jonnie Irwin*, Toby Keith]

The RadGuy (118 points) 4 hits

[Brian Barczyk, Franz Beckenbauer, Jonnie Irwin*, Toby Keith]

Etushispushingupdaisies (81 points) 4 hits

[Derek Draper*, Franz Beckenbauer, Jonnie Irwin, Toby Keith]

Wannamaker (81 points) 5 hits

[Brian Barczyk, Franz Beckenbauer, Glynis Johns, Roger Donlan, Toby Keith]

Torva Messor (77 points) 4 hits

[Glynis Johns, Jack Burke Jr., Jonnie Irwin, Joyce Randolph*]

ZZZ - Boring Predictable Team (76 points) 4 hits

[Franz Beckenbauer, Glynis Johns, Jonnie Irwin, Toby Keith]

The Old Lady (75 points) 3 hits

[Derek Draper*, Jonnie Irwin, Toby Keith]

Drol (71 points) 3 hits

[Jonnie Irwin, Mario Zagallo, Toby Keith]

Toast (70 points) 3 hits

[Glynis Johns, Jonnie Irwin, Toby Keith]

Lady Fiona (67 points) 2 hits

[Jonnie Irwin, Toby Keith]

The Unknown Man (67 points) 2 hits

[Jonnie Irwin, Toby Keith]

Salmon Mousse (65 points) 3 hits

[Jason Smith, Jonnie Irwin, Roy Battersby]

Gcreptile (62 points) 3 hits

[Franz Beckenbauer, Jason Smith, Jonnie Irwin]

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, An Fear Beag said:

And it is a Grim look to the leaderboard as @Grim Up Northused their Irwin Joker and the picks of Keith and Smith to take the lead at the (far too) early stage of the race.

GrimUpNorth (127 points) 4 hits

[Derek Draper, Jason Smith, Jonnie Irwin*, Toby Keith]

First time my joker has ever died in the Hare’s so I’ll take it as a positive. (And I still think this should more correctly be the Tortoise’s Death Pool but years of history etc)

• Like 1

On 07/01/2024 at 17:20, Captain Hemlock said:

I see the rosters are all loaded. I was pleasantly surprised to see @An Fear Beag allowed my pick of Sammy Basso, as I was afraid he'd run into the FFBI category. Good luck to everyone!

Piggybacking on this comment because german magazine Der Spiegel writes about him:

https://www.spiegel.de/gesundheit/diagnose/progerie-krankheit-hutchinson-gilford-syndrom-sammy-basso-ist-der-aelteste-junge-mann-der-welt-a-a61447ac-b786-46b0-b946-7df1d3cff68f

I think I'd allow him in my pools, too. In Death By Numbers at least because of his status as "Oldest Person" of something, and the Cup because of his activism. He hasnt got a Wikipedia page yet, but I think he will, like a few others with that disease.

But then his age with this disease is extremely high, like Stephen Hawking's 30+ years with ALS. So maybe death within the next 12 months isn't necessarily to be expected. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Piggybacking on this comment because german magazine Der Spiegel writes about him:

https://www.spiegel.de/gesundheit/diagnose/progerie-krankheit-hutchinson-gilford-syndrom-sammy-basso-ist-der-aelteste-junge-mann-der-welt-a-a61447ac-b786-46b0-b946-7df1d3cff68f

I think I'd allow him in my pools, too. In Death By Numbers at least because of his status as "Oldest Person" of something, and the Cup because of his activism. He hasnt got a Wikipedia page yet, but I think he will, like a few others with that disease.

But then his age with this disease is extremely high, like Stephen Hawking's 30+ years with ALS. So maybe death within the next 12 months isn't necessarily to be expected. 

He does have a Wikipedia page in Italian.

https://it.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sammy_Basso

57 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

John Savident a 'hit" for me in this pool. 

and for me

• Like 1

On 09/02/2024 at 14:16, Grim Up North said:

(And I still think this should more correctly be the Tortoise’s Death Pool but years of history etc)

I did consider changing the name of the pool when I took over, but I decided against it for two reasons. 

Firstly because this is what it has been called from day 1, and is known to all and sundry as the Hares pool, so I didn't feel it would be right to change it at this stage.

And secondly because I have never liked the Tortoise in that story. Smug little talentless bastard. "Slow and steady wins the race". No it doesn't - fast and strong and not being a obnoxious prick like the Hare wins the race. You just got lucky, you slow horrible shelly fucker, so pipe down, take your "win" and piss off. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, nantonian2013 said:

Stan Bowles a hit for Prophet and myself

Thanks for the heads up on Stan :)

No thanks for the incorrect use of "myself". What's wrong with "Me"? :angry:

• Like 3