Catherine

People I Was Surprised To Find Are Still Alive

8 hours ago, Deathrace said:

Probably because they were nowhere near as big stars as Valli or Robinson. 

Robinson’s obviously the bigger star now but Eddy probably sold more records than him in the 60s. Certainly had more hits. 

• Like 1

On 20/06/2022 at 17:58, time said:

While looking up yesterday's birthday boy Jimmy Greenhoff, I discovered that the referee of that 1972 League Cup Final, and also the 1971 FA Cup final, Norman Burtenshaw, is still alive (unless he's died off-radar) at the age of 96.

The chance of a qualifying obit for an old ref is somewhat iffy, but what might help is the fact that the 1971 Cup Final was the match that gave Arsenal the League & Cup double. He was also famously knocked to the ground (and knocked unconscious according to his own version of the story) by pitch-invading millwall fans, and was mobbed by unhappy Benfica fans after they lost 6-2 to Arsenal.

Norman Burtenshaw now final whistled: https://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/news/23603028.obituary-legendary-fifa-referee-norman-burtenshaw-dies-97/

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

As Surinamese-Dutch resistance fighter Anton de Kom (1898-1945) received official apologies by the Dutch state this week for the way he was treated by the Dutch authorities in the 1930's, it came to my attention he still has two living children. They are Ad de Kom (96) and Judith de Kom (92).

Both of them appeared in public for the occasion and were handed an official letter of apologies by the minister of foreign affairs. Ad seemed to be confined to his wheelchair, Judith could at least walk for a short distance with assistance of a walking stick and a caretaker.

Screenshot_20230621-171129.thumb.jpg.7a2b4d6d45dd9637ee92812e123e3b6b.jpg

• Like 2

On 22/06/2023 at 20:22, DoorSlammer said:

Kurt Salterberg (Italian wiki), German soldier who was an eyewitness of the failed attempt to assassinate Hitler, is still alive and turned 100 in January.

Given the rapid justice dished out to others close to that event, a real achievement

• Like 1

On 19/09/2022 at 22:58, Joey Russ said:

I honestly assumed all of MLK jr’s brothers and sisters have died at this point, but no he has an older sister (Christine King Farris) who’s still alive at 95!

Christine King Farris no longer alive.

• Like 3

Not that I was surprised particularly, but the death of Derek Malcolm reminded me that former Guardian TV critic Nancy Banks Smith is still alive, and into her 90s now.

Saw summat in today's Sunday Times about Norman Mitchell MBE community leader, also lives in a house with a blue plaque celebrating his daughter (lead vocalist with Boney M - Liz Mitchell). Norman remains alive, likely a shoo-in obit in the leftie broadsheets (Guardian 'Other Lives' at the very least) given his lifetime of community activism, and he's currently 102. Obviously, he's the one on the left!

4289013.jpg

• Like 2

Arrigo Cipriani, son of bellini inventor and Harry's Bar (the one in Venice that's mentioned in Brideshead Revisited, not the one in Rome or London) founder Giuseppe Cipriani, is still alive aged 91. He's the majority stakeholder in the company his father set up that has numerous properties, so I think a QO would be guaranteed. Healthy enough to serve as the model for Venezia's away kit launch:

• Like 3

On 12/02/2023 at 16:01, Gisooo said:

Wayne Tucker (IMDb), actor who appeared in some classic TV Shows like The Twilight Zone, Dennis the Menace, The Joey Bishop Show and The Many Love of Dobie Gills is still living at 98 as Cecil W. Tucker in Texas.

image.jpeg.331efe8ce1620679dacacc76456c87dd.jpeg

Died back in April 2023

image.png.54001a465ff16012667449a13ec57731.png

On 14/11/2017 at 21:50, msc said:

On a similar note, one newspaper - I forget which - ran an obit for Carl Davis, the World at War composer, when the music producer died in 2012. Only one of them was a white New York guy, and he's still breathing.

Eleven years later, Carl Davis is now dead. In addition to World at War he also did stuff like The Naked Civil Servant, conducted the BBC's 2006 World Cup theme, and was married to "person you were surprised to find was still alive" Jean Boht.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Eleven years later, Carl Davis is now dead. In addition to World at War he also did stuff like The Naked Civil Servant, conducted the BBC's 2006 World Cup theme, and was married to "person you were surprised to find was still alive" Jean Boht.

Between the Poirot theme guy, the House of Cards theme guy and now Carl Davis, it's been a bad year so far for composers of iconic TV theme tunes. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, msc said:

Between the Poirot theme guy, the House of Cards theme guy and now Carl Davis, it's been a bad year so far for composers of iconic TV theme tunes. 

Uh oh

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

49 minutes ago, msc said:

How's Tony Hatch these days?

1 hour ago, msc said:

Definitely a theme developing...:sherlock:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Definitely a theme developing...:sherlock:

‘Down the Hatch’ 

On 29/07/2018 at 21:52, maryportfuncity said:

Debateable how obitable the man is but I was idly Googling the availability of the gloriously sick works of Robert Klane tonight and came across this fairly accurate appraisal of his peculiar genius. If you like DL you'd likely love his books (or the movies of Where's Poppa and Fire Sale).

Amazed to discover he was born as recently as 1941 - no indication he's dead yet.

Link: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/features/forgotten-authors-no-23-robert-klane-1607021.html

Well, he's dead now, so we'll see.

1 hour ago, time said:

Well, he's dead now, so we'll see.

Daft prices on all three of his gloriously bad taste 70's novels - Where's Poppa in particular being an absolute time capsule of dark and politically incorrect humour. Sad to hear this. William Kotzwinkle contines apace. mind. Another one who's so low on the radar most readers haven't heard of him, despite him doing the novelisation of E.T.

I've seen this photo many times, under the impression it was of the late Jackie Stallone, but it's actually a film director's mother by the name of Ivone Weldon. She stood in for Jackie on the red carpet and photographers didn't know who she was:

7e409d36fb5e4089c27a28577f0e079d.thumb.jpg.44965d58d95ecc9e3f66a4cb2a500251.jpg

She must be in her early 80s, though in her recent Facebook photos you'd think she was 18 (I'm not going to post them because she's not a public figure and they scream body dysmorphia, but wowee)

John Savident - I thought he had died

I say, I say I thought he had died.

• Like 4

Just found out, from the "Ideas and possibilities for 2024" thread, that guitarist Buddy Guy is still alive

On 21/09/2023 at 00:59, Salmon Mousse said:

Just found out, from the "Ideas and possibilities for 2024" thread, that guitarist Buddy Guy is still alive

On the Buddy theme, Buddy Holly's widow is 91 later this year.

• Like 1