Godot

Ask A Deathlister

This might help (still mentions we are in EU so ignore that bit).

Getting into Irish history and politics...that's more complicated.

• Thanks 1

Note that people, including people who know better,  invariably talk about "the King (or Queen) of England".  It's wrong, but "the King of the UK" which is right, sounds wrong.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Toast said:

Ah yes, I forgot about Ireland being the whole island of Ireland in the rugby.  I've amended my reply accordingly.

Also in cricket, although any player born in Northern Ireland is eligible for England! The last being Boyd Rankin in 2013, although he had previously appeared for Ireland in one-day cricket.

While I'm here, can I just ask a regular, has the site ever gone six months without a hit before - as has happened today? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Toast said:

Note that people, including people who know better,  invariably talk about "the King (or Queen) of England".  It's wrong, but "the King of the UK" which is right, sounds wrong.

Exactly, this helps a lot with the confusion for people who are not from Great Britain, as a football fanatic I have always seen Scotland, Wales, Ireland and Northern Ireland as different countries and Great Britain as a region
Thank you to everyone who explained it to me, thank you for the very explanatory video @ladyfiona

On 08/07/2024 at 08:57, Cerberus said:

While I'm here, can I just ask a regular, has the site ever gone six months without a hit before - as has happened today? 

Check statistics thread. There is someone there who literally has a graph that is monitoring how long since the last hit.

@Bibliogryphon you may be able to help here.

• Thanks 1

This discussion of sports representation within a country reminds me of how Puerto Rico will be its own country when competing in Olympics.

• Like 1

To continue the discussion Diego started, I'm seeing loads of people on Threads sharing things like "England and France kicked out the far right; your turn, America".

Congratulating England on the General Election result is lovely but unfairly exclusive; a bit like saying "Here, Oklahoma: Vote Democrat in November".

• Like 1

On 07/07/2024 at 22:06, Sinbabad said:

It was also complicated for Ireland in football :

In 1888 an Ireland national team was created. It selected players from the whole  island.

In 1924, following the creation of Irish Free State in 1922, another Ireland team was created, the Irish Free State national team, who selected players almost exclusively from the South (Éire).
In 1937, following the creation of the Republic of Ireland, the team took the name of FAI Ireland  team, whereas the first Ireland team called itself of IFA Ireland team.

In 1953 the FIFA decided that FAI team should know be called "Republic of Ireland national team", and the IFA team "Northern Ireland national team", their current names.

1953 was also the last time that footballers, namely Reg Ryan and Alex Bruce, played for 2 different Irish national teams. 37 players had achieved the same feat before them.

It's all a bit complicated, players from NI can play for the south instead and athletes can compete for team Ireland rather than team GB but they will then compete for NI in the Commonwealth Games as well as some from the south as they are not part of the Commonwealth. In Motorsport the Isle of Man TT as English, Welsh, Northern Irish, Manx or Scottish. I know 2 brothers who race and one races as British and the other Irish, they have shared the podium under different flags! Like I said it's complicated :rolleyes:

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, One shot Paddy said:

It's all a bit complicated, players from NI can play for the south instead

They can, but, according to the wiki pages I read, none has done so since 1953, in the senior teams anyway. Since that year, there’s the notable case of Northern Irish Martin O’Neill who managed Republic of Ireland national team from 2013 to 2018.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sinbabad said:

They can, but, according to the wiki pages I read, none has done so since 1953, in the senior teams anyway. Since that year, there’s the notable case of Northern Irish Martin O’Neill who managed Republic of Ireland national team from 2013 to 2018.

A lot more recent than that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_McClean

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sinbabad said:

I meant players who played for both Ireland senior teams. 

Ok, we are taking at crossed purposes, I originally said "players from NI" meaning born here not having played for the team. 

I also forgot about Rory McIlroy who was going to play golf for team GB in the Rio Olympics but switched to Ireland (after threats but that wasn't made public) but didn't go anyway because of the zica virus.

• Like 2

To be fair, it's no wonder @diego doesn't have a clue.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Love has been added.

Before today, when was the last time a new reaction was added to the site?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, polar duck said:

Before today, when was the last time a new reaction was added to the site?

On 18/01/2020 at 21:03, Death Impends said:

Okay I have added two new reactions with functions like those suggested. Shocked and facepalm.

• Thanks 2

IMG_9766-compressed.jpeg.1607ba74c4d747c588402b7a859e3d02.jpeg

Come on now, we’re crying out for one of these!

• Love 1

4 hours ago, One shot Paddy said:

Ok, we are taking at crossed purposes, I originally said "players from NI" meaning born here not having played for the team. 

I also forgot about Rory McIlroy who was going to play golf for team GB in the Rio Olympics but switched to Ireland (after threats but that wasn't made public) but didn't go anyway because of the zica virus.

I was going to use this example too, you did a great job of mentioning it here,

Parte do Reino Unido torce para dois países nas Olimpíadas; entenda - SBT News

Sem saber que país defender, número 1 do golfe pode não jogar no Rio 2016 | globoesporte.com

• Like 1

Does anybody know how @Hanzem is doing? Not seen him on here for ages and I use to love his current top ten in the World Oldest thread that he used to provide. 

• Like 1