Lord Fellatio Nelson

DL Status Updates: Statements, Obsevations & Verbal Tennis

Threads article on the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/jul/06/mark-zuckerberg-uses-threads-to-say-elon-musk-twitter-has-missed-its-chance

Zuckerberg is right that Twitter had its chance to turn into the 1bn people public conversation forum. As I said, the demand is there and something will come up.

I think Zuckerberg has also come to realize that catering to right-wingers is a net loss, because there's always going to be a player more daring to go for them (Musk, in this case). 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Threads article on the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/jul/06/mark-zuckerberg-uses-threads-to-say-elon-musk-twitter-has-missed-its-chance

Zuckerberg is right that Twitter had its chance to turn into the 1bn people public conversation forum. As I said, the demand is there and something will come up.

I think Zuckerberg has also come to realize that catering to right-wingers is a net loss, because there's always going to be a player more daring to go for them (Musk, in this case). 

I am convinced that the Musk/Zuckerberg rivalry is largely just for show what seems to be happening here is a veritable Tower of Babel

To paraphrase The people of the earths decided to build a tower to reach for heaven but God saw that this challenged him and therefore sent his angels amongst the people so they all began speaking in different tongues

This could easily be seen as a parable for a situation that you see where social media has allowed activism and ideas to rapidly be exchanged and communicated which may be considered as a challenge to the establishment (God) and the best way to dilute those voices is to send them all to spearate platforms, Threads, Mastodon, Blue Sky.

I am staying on Twitter until it no longer functions or demands money off me

Larry the Bird has been euthanised; Space Karen is rebranding Twitter. It’ll soon be known as ‘X’.

Presumably because a swastika isn’t readily available on a regular keyboard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, TQR said:

Larry the Bird has been euthanised; Space Karen is rebranding Twitter. It’ll soon be known as ‘X’.

New logo...

Grimes Discusses The Idea Of Retiring From Making Albums And Touring ...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TQR said:

In a perfect world "X" would represent his eyes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

IMG_8109.thumb.jpeg.e2ab14bbdb7e92213247cae1deb706bd.jpeg

• Like 2

@Paul Bearer IMO the ‘Bye’ thread might be useful, just in case other people want to announce they’re flouncing off. Maybe just change Superstar’s rank to Failed Abortion or something and keep the thread?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Had a weird conversation with a close friend.She is estranged from her family but got sent a picture of her 88 Grandmother on her sick bed durle to the fact I worked in healthcare in the past, saying is she dying? And all I thought was :

:pop::skill2::skull:

Anyway fortunately after I said yeah 2_3 days if that she got a call summoning her to her bedside the other side of the country and she was with her 2 days later when she died.

Got a new phone today and it’s the first time I’ve had a ‘Max’ sized one. By no means have I got dinky Donald Trump hands but my thumbs are feeling a bit overstretched.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TQR said:

Got a new phone today and it’s the first time I’ve had a ‘Max’ sized one. By no means have I got dinky Donald Trump hands but my thumbs are feeling a bit overstretched.

Fellow big phone user. Get one of those cases with a bit that pops out at the back (they often have a stupid symbol like the peace sign or "WTF" on them). Your wee fingers will thank you.

• Like 1

My sister's youngest and his fiancee have made me a Great Uncle for the 4th time, their first contribution to my expanding collection.

My suggestion of 'Cholet' was declined, not for the first time.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Celebrating I'm 7 years together with my girlfriend today. We met eachother at the start of our final year of high school and have been together ever since.

Housing market's a mess here but hopefully we can find a place together in the coming year and a bit.

• Like 8

I wish there was a way to filter Youtube videos by country, like you can on Google. 

Visiting a customer in London today. Has been arranged for weeks but there is an emergency timetable on EMR because of landslides and it is the opening of Parliament.  Fortunately I am going to NW London not the very centre but I imagine St. P will be busy

• Like 1

Over on Twitter I just mentioned the Carry On Films in a poll and an American poster who has Movie Man in his Twitter handle asked me to explain what they were.

It took me a few minutes to get my head round them because they are so ingrained as part of British Culture I was astonished to think they were so little understood elsewhere

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Is it my Wifi or is the forum really slow at the moment?

It's been slower on my end for a few weeks. For some reason there are consistently 200+ guests now (hiya!) which no doubt slows things down.

• Like 1

Just had the mint version of Terry's chocolate orange. It's revolting. Does anyone remember the raspberry ones? They were quite nice.

On 28/11/2023 at 11:38, Bibliogryphon said:

Over on Twitter I just mentioned the Carry On Films in a poll and an American poster who has Movie Man in his Twitter handle asked me to explain what they were.

It took me a few minutes to get my head round them because they are so ingrained as part of British Culture I was astonished to think they were so little understood elsewhere

Are there any that stand out that are recommendable to Americans?

34 minutes ago, lilham said:

Are there any that stand out that are recommendable to Americans?

Carry on Cowboy is set in America but that might go either way.

Phil Silvers has the lead role in Carry On Follow That Camel

• Like 1

This cold/flu thing doing the rounds that I’ve managed to pick up has, since Wednesday, gradually gone from bad, via horrid, hellish and fucking nasty, to its current state of utterly unbearable.

• Sad 3

58 minutes ago, TQR said:

This cold/flu thing doing the rounds that I’ve managed to pick up has, since Wednesday, gradually gone from bad, via horrid, hellish and fucking nasty, to its current state of utterly unbearable.

I recommend Benylin 4 Flu tablets.  When I feel a cold coming on, I take two of these before bed, and it kills the cold dead in its tracks.

benylin-4-flu-tablets.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TQR said:

Hot overproof dark rum and into bed, it will sweat it out of you in no time, poitin works best but I doubt you would be able to get any. I've gone from barely able to walk to out hiking in 18 hours!

• Like 3

Don McLean thought 3rd Feb 1959 was the day the music died. Tragic though the plane crash that killed Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and Big Bopper was, this simply can't be the case; the majority of good music was made after that date. But whilst sorting through the UK 00s charts for a future KoS game, I stumbled across the actual day the music died, after realising a very sudden and as yet irrecoverable dearth of talent at a certain point.

Guys, music died on 30th May 2007. It wasn't an air disaster that did it, no, it was much worse: it was the day Lee Mead off of a short lived Andrew Lloyd Webber "talent show" got to number 2 with Any Dream Will Do, dressed up in Joseph's fucking technicolour coat. Since that exact point, music has been comparably wank. It's Lloyd Webber's fault.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1