Deathray

Who Should Be On The 2017 Deathlist?

He's the most famous comic creator in the world and those comics burgeoned a multi-billion dollar film industry that has been accessed by most kids and many adults for the last several generations, he'd be top news on BBC, NBC, ABC, RT when he dies. Stan Lee is not a who the fuck is he pick.

He is to me, because I've never read any of those comics. I was a Beano and Dandy girl.

Films, that sort of thing isn't really my cup of tea. I saw the first Superman film, but that's all I can think of. Is Superman one of his?

Superman is DC not Marvel so not one of Stan's. None of us can claim to be the bellweather for deciding fame, but Marvel is such a huge organisation now it's originator has to be classed as famous.

He's the most famous comic creator in the world and those comics burgeoned a multi-billion dollar film industry that has been accessed by most kids and many adults for the last several generations, he'd be top news on BBC, NBC, ABC, RT when he dies. Stan Lee is not a who the fuck is he pick.

He is to me, because I've never read any of those comics. I was a Beano and Dandy girl.

Films, that sort of thing isn't really my cup of tea. I saw the first Superman film, but that's all I can think of. Is Superman one of his?

Superman is DC not Marvel so not one of Stan's. None of us can claim to be the bellweather for deciding fame, but Marvel is such a huge organisation now it's originator has to be classed as famous.

So he didn't even invent Superman? Pah. no-way-smiley-emoticon-1.gif

beano and dandy suck.

Stan Lee is an undiscussed legend. Does not mean you have to read his comics or appreciate his work. He's the best in his field and that is enough.

beano and dandy rock.
FTFY

It's fascinating watching people debate who's classed as a must have person on the list and who isn't.

I can't quite definitively make up my mind.

Senior royals IE Queen and Prince Philip yes and when appropriate in the future Charles and Camilla

But less senior royals whilst desirable probably not strictly must haves eg The Duke of Gloucester, Duchess of Kent etc

For me the debate isn't really just about who's a must have but rather what percentage of the list should strictly speaking be must haves?

I suppose the issue is how we rank and classify people who aren't the must haves.

That then leads onto how we decide amongst the non must haves who is desirable for the list and there's no way objectively to keep everyone happy on that because of the subjectivity of it all versus the sheer quantity of possible candidates!

I have no answers as such just pondering!

I think I'd keep Stan Lee though because his achievements are still afresh and dynamic in popular culture and his marvel universe isn't just something that was big in the past.

Arguably though the committee could have afforded to have left him off the 2016 list and made space for someone else but hey ho it's done now.

Stan Lee's Spiderman. He's better than Superman. Batman is better than all of them.

That's as much comics as you can get from someone who only watched the Adam West Batman.

Oh, Stan Lee apparently created the X-Men. My wife loves them. Probably due to Hugh Jackman.

• Like 1

you didn't marry Patrick Starr did you?

If you did the list based on people who were too big to miss it wouldn't be a 'death' list it would be a 'who's really famous' list.

And if you did it on that basis Death list would get about one hit a year.

The Committee have got balls (or possibly big bushy bushes for all I know) coz they dropped Ali for a couple of years and they judged that one right.

Lots of famous people die as this year proves and there are lots and lots of famous people - some die suddenly, some give lots of warning.

Who the fuck is Stan Lee anyhow? He created some comic characters like Spiderman, the Hulk etc - it's not exactly inventing a cure for cancer is it?

I do know who he is but 90% of people round the world wouldn't have a scoobies so he wouldn't get on most people's lists of 50 people too big to miss anyhow.

You are kidding right?Stan Lee is one of the most famous people in the world alive at the moment.

He's relatively well-known (and probably mainly amongst white middle class white males) but not in the top-tier of famous. My mum and dad wouldn't have a clue who he is, for example. Unlike, say, Stephen Hawking or Clive James.

Clive James. who adorns the walls of every young black working class female?

Your point being?

Mine was fairly simple. I would wager in the UK that on name recognition, Stan Lee would be behind James and Hawking. Because I reckon his name recognition would be highly concentrated in a narrower demographic than the other two.

Internationally, that may be different - but it's a UK-centric list.

• Like 1

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadpool

Well Stan Lee did create Deadpool... So perhaps we on here aptly should be a little more grateful to him?!

But seriously Deadpool the film was a phenomenal success this year with a sequel in the pipeworks so strengthening the argument about how relevant Stan Lee is to contemporary popular culture.

If you did the list based on people who were too big to miss it wouldn't be a 'death' list it would be a 'who's really famous' list.

The Committee have got balls (or possibly big bushy bushes for all I know) coz they dropped Ali for a couple of years and they judged that one right.

Lots of famous people die as this year proves and there are lots and lots of famous people - some die suddenly, some give lots of warning.

Who the fuck is Stan Lee anyhow? He created some comic characters like Spiderman, the Hulk etc - it's not exactly inventing a cure for cancer is it?

I do know who he is but 90% of people round the world wouldn't have a scoobies so he wouldn't get on most people's lists of 50 people too big to miss anyhow.

You are kidding right?Stan Lee is one of the most famous people in the world alive at the moment.

He's relatively well-known (and probably mainly amongst white middle class white males) but not in the top-tier of famous. My mum and dad wouldn't have a clue who he is, for example. Unlike, say, Stephen Hawking or Clive James.

Your point being?

Mine was fairly simple. I would wager in the UK that on name recognition, Stan Lee would be behind James and Hawking.

Clive James in the top tier of famous excuse me while I laugh. If I ask a mate at school who is Clive James they would fail while they would effortlessly pass the Stan Lee one.

Your point being?

Mine was fairly simple. I would wager in the UK that on name recognition, Stan Lee would be behind James and Hawking. Because I reckon his name recognition would be highly concentrated in a narrower demographic than the other two.

You mentioned middle class, white etc. I've just taken a poll amongst among the downstairs staff and it was 8-2 to Lee over James.

Your point being?

Mine was fairly simple. I would wager in the UK that on name recognition, Stan Lee would be behind James and Hawking.

Clive James in the top tier of famous excuse me while I laugh. If I ask a mate at school who is Clive James they would fail while they would effortlessly pass the Stan Lee one.

I didn't say CJ was in the top tier of famous (and neither is SL). I said my mum and dad knows who CJ is (unlike SL) and used them as an extrapolation for the UK as a whole. Go back to the top and start again.

Your point being?

I didn't say CJ was in the top tier of famous (and neither is SL). I said my mum and dad knows who CJ is (unlike SL) and used them as an extrapolation for the UK as a whole. Go back to the top and start again.

I read that comment and the way it was written implies that you believe that he is top tier famous.

Stan Lee's Spiderman. He's better than Superman. Batman is better than all of them.

That's as much comics as you can get from someone who only watched the Adam West Batman.

Oh, Stan Lee apparently created the X-Men. My wife loves them. Probably due to Hugh Jackman.

Ah, Hugh Jackman, now you're talking ..... :wub:

• Like 2

My point, which I admittedly blurred by exaggerating Stan Lee's anonymity somewhat, is that you have to be pretty special to be on a list selected of just 50 people simply because you are old but with no known health issues.

Ali was not only arguably the most famous sportsman of the 20th century but was also famously dying and he still got dropped from the list when he was dangerously near the end.

If the membership bays for the committee to deliver records then there is no room for sentimental choices.

So fill all your own lists with Stan Lee this year and when he starts looking a bit frailer then he can get picked for the main list - if it turns out he's missed because he dies suddenly that is no bigger a miss than David Bowie.

• Like 1

Not that I ncessarily think Stan Lee needs to be put on the list but their was a weatherman and a tv magician younger then him with no known health issues in the top 50 for 2016. The charecters he created even if people never saw a Spiderman or Fantastic Four film are fairly well known.

• Like 1

Stan Lee will be on my list. Definitely notable enough having created many famous characters, and no doubt old enough to die without warning. At 94 you can just drop dead anytime without warning pretty much.

My final suggestions:

Keep:

1)Olivia de Havilland

2)Kirk Douglas

3)Vera Lynn

4)Billy Graham

5)Peter Carrington

6)Javier Perez de Cuellar

7)Peter Sallis

8)Prince Philip

9)Jake LaMotta

10)Denis Norden

11)Stan Lee

12)Henry Kissenger

13)Bob Dole

14)Murray Walker

15)Leslie Phillips

16)George H.W Bush

17)Jimmy Carter

18)Fats Domino

19)Prunella Scales

20)Jacques Chirac

21)John Noakes

22)Glen Campbell

23)Mary Tyler Moore

24)Stephen Hawking

25)Paul Gascoigne

Bring back:

1)Pierre Cardin

2)Nicholas Parsons

3)Robert Mugabe

4)Doris Day

5)Charles Aznavour

6)Jerry Lewis

7)Chuck Berry

8)Bill Maynard

9)Hosni Mubarak

10)Bill Maynard

11)Helmut Kohl

12)Ray Kennedy

New:

1)Clare Hollingworth

2)David Rockefeller

3)Sheila Mercier

4)Leah Bracknell

5)Liz Dawn

6)Colin Meads

7)Nobby Stiles

8)Tony Booth

9)Ray Wilson

10)Freddie Starr

11)John Hurt

12)Peter Sarstedt

13)Peter Skellern

Tough

• Like 1

I'm surprised no-one (AFAIK) has mentioned Ian Holm yet. He was ill a while ago and seems to have retired from acting. Also his age would make me consider him for 2017.

Another one that I haven't seen mentioned is Michael Anderson who will turn 97 in January 2017. He directed The Dambusters, Around the World In 80 Days and Logan's Run so he'd definitely get an obit.

Geoffrey Bayldon should definitely be considered for next year as well.

• Like 1

My final 2017 list after making far too many late changes.

Stayers

Olivia De Havilland

Billy Graham

Herman Wouk

Javier Perez De Cueller

Kirk Douglas

Mary Tyler Moore

Peter Sallis

Duke Of Edinburgh

Lord Carrington

Clive James

Joost Van Der Westhuizen

Jimmy Carter

George Bush sr

Vera Lynn

Leslie Phillips

Fats Domino

Desmond Tutu

Glen Campbell

Jake Lamotta

Denis Norden

Jimmy Greaves

Jacques Chirac

Paul Gascoigne

John Noakes

Bruce Forsyth

Returnees

Jerry Lewis

Newcomers

Tony Booth

Leah Bracknell

John Wetton

King Michael Of Romania

Peter Sarstedt

Freddie Starr

Nobby Stiles

Martin Peters

Ray Wilson (footballer)

Sara Coward

Gord Downie

Jimmy Snuka

Sheila Mercier

Colin Meads

David Rockefeller

Gerald Kaufman

Desmond Carrington

Peter Skellern

Mario Soares

Claire Hollingworth

Monica Vitti

Jill Gascoine

Norman Lloyd

Gerd Muller

If Soares does not make to tomorrow then Gregg Allman comes in.

Wont be long now. I remember the first time the list on the front page changed, for me. January 1st 2009 and my first thoughts were... actually, they were "blimey, who's Robert Novak? Where's Tony Hart?" One good decision and one bad one there, later found out Tony Hart was one of the last folk who just missed the list. Anyhow, that was fun. I find you can get a gut feeling about a new Deathlist pretty immediately - 2009, 2012 and 2013 jumped out as good on paper, whereas 2010 didn't.

Mind you, 2011 looked great and 2015 rather meh. That's death for you.

Wont be long now. I remember the first time the list on the front page changed, for me. January 1st 2009 and my first thoughts were... actually, they were "blimey, who's Robert Novak? Where's Tony Hart?" One good decision and one bad one there, later found out Tony Hart was one of the last folk who just missed the list. Anyhow, that was fun. I find you can get a gut feeling about a new Deathlist pretty immediately - 2009, 2012 and 2013 jumped out as good on paper, whereas 2010 didn't.

Mind you, 2011 looked great and 2015 rather meh. That's death for you.

what was your initial opinion of this years list.

Distracted by the triple threat of Mary Tyler Moore, Tommy Chong and Gazza, who I thought were stupid picks.

2009 and 2013 were probably the best gut-reaction years in terms of "how many people who are terminally ill and indisputably DeathListy are there?" Had the committee been as lucky as 2015 with the random old people picks in those two years, there would've probably been a record breaker.