Paul Bearer

Michael Parkinson

13 minutes ago, DeathClock said:

Genuine Question...

As an American, whenever The Deathlist hits on a British person (or other nationality) I am quite emotionless. The only non-American hit that I was interested in was Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip. Other than that, I feel nothing when a non-American public figure dies. In contrast, when there is an American "hit" I pay a lot more attention to it and I might even get bummed out when learning of the passing. 

I was wondering if British folks on this forum feel a similar way whenever the Deathlist has an American "hit"? 

So during these past twelve months you’ve shown more interest in Loretta Lynn and Burt Bacharach than in Gorbachev or Pele?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SovietJohnny said:

So during these past twelve months you’ve shown more interest in Loretta Lynn and Burt Bacharach than in Gorbachev or Pele?

I was interested in Gorbachev's death.  Nothing with Pele - I don't watch soccer (or futbol). Yes, I was interested in Loretta Lynn and Bacharach. 

I don't think being "American First" is the main factor. I think it's because of my lack of knowledge of British public figures. Never heard of Parkinson, Nigel Lawson, rolf Harris, Leslie Phillips, June Brown, etc. So I think I'm not interested when a British public figure dies because I never heard of them before finding this website

Has an American public figure died that you never heard of before? Bacharach, Lynn, Lansbury, Jerry Lee Lewis, George Schultz, etc.? If so, did you care about their death even though you never heard of them before?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DeathClock said:

I was interested in Gorbachev's death.  Nothing with Pele - I don't watch soccer (or futbol). Yes, I was interested in Loretta Lynn and Bacharach. 

I don't think being "American First" is the main factor. I think it's because of my lack of knowledge of British public figures. Never heard of Parkinson, Nigel Lawson, rolf Harris, Leslie Phillips, June Brown, etc. So I think I'm not interested when a British public figure dies because I never heard of them before finding this website

Has an American public figure died that you never heard of before? Bacharach, Lynn, Lansbury, Jerry Lee Lewis, George Schultz, etc.? If so, did you care about their death even though you never heard of them before?

You’re asking stupid fucking questions and you’re coming across as a typical American that loves to project how proudly ignorant they are to anything that isn’t USA. Hilariously you think Angela Lansbury was an American centric celebrity.  

America have celebrities that have notoriety internationally just like Britain do. It depends on an individual’s interest and age whether they know them are not. I can’t believe this is something that has to be explained. 

• Like 3

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't say Parkinson is a non-entity over here. I've known of him as long as I can recall, and he got NYT/WaPo/CNN etc. obits pretty much immediately. Many of his most popular YouTube clips have Americans in them (Robin Williams, Tom Cruise, Muhammad Ali, Mel Gibson). So not exactly the guy I'd expect this "argument" be made about. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6 minutes ago, Perhaps said:

You’re asking stupid fucking questions and you’re coming across as a typical American that loves to project how proudly ignorant they are to anything that isn’t USA. Hilariously you think Angela Lansbury was an American centric celebrity.  

America have celebrities that have notoriety internationally just like Britain do. It depends on an individual’s interest and age whether they know them are not. I can’t believe this is something that has to be explained. 

Wonder what country Dame Angela Lansbury was from...

(And because the DL tends to pick a Listers with the odd cult or wtf pick the last American name I'd genuinely never heard of was Kirk Kerkorian.)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, msc said:

(And because the DL tends to pick a Listers with the odd cult or wtf pick the last American name I'd genuinely never heard of was Kirk Kerkorian.)

To be fair, I hadn't heard of him either, though I could be a little too young. I thought for a second you were talking about this guy

1 hour ago, DeathClock said:

As an American, whenever The Deathlist hits on a British person (or other nationality) I am quite emotionless. The only non-American hit that I was interested in was Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip. Other than that, I feel nothing when a non-American public figure dies. In contrast, when there is an American "hit" I pay a lot more attention to it and I might even get bummed out when learning of the passing.  I was wondering if British folks on this forum feel a similar way whenever the Deathlist has an American "hit"? 

Depends who it is and whether I've heard of them or not.  

I feel nothing for most American sports people, rappers, politicians, but that goes for a lot of UK people as well.

There are exceptions eg Muhammad Ali, and this year I have been sad at the loss of Tony Bennett, Tina Turner,  Raquel Welch ....

Oh I've just seen this from you:

"Has an American public figure died that you never heard of before? Bacharach, Lynn, Lansbury, Jerry Lee Lewis, George Schultz, etc.?"

That's hilarious. I was actually going to say Burt Bacharach but thought two music people was enough.

12 minutes ago, msc said:

I mean, I knew Bill Gates had a dad. He must have done. 

Never heard of him though.

• Like 2

On the look back programme they repeated in tribute about 90% of the guests looked back on were either American or British people who have become known in America.

7 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I mean, I knew Bill Gates had a dad. He must have done. 

Never heard of him though.

Absolutely the most mediocre DL name ever but the name Bill Gates Sr told me instantly who he was even if I didn't know why they'd picked him. 

Going back a few years I'd never heard of Shaw Taylor when he was picked but that was primarily an age thing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, msc said:

Absolutely the most mediocre DL name ever but the name Bill Gates Sr told me instantly who he was even if I didn't know why they'd picked him. 

Going back a few years I'd never heard of Shaw Taylor when he was picked but that was primarily an age thing.

Ah, you see that's where generationally, even only a couple of decades makes all the difference! 

I think the real question for @DeathClock is perhaps they have too limited a repertoire of experience, being on this site should make them realise that, and perhaps take time to read more, venture out into classic British and European film, music and literature, widen the life enrichment and learn more about the folk we talk about on here. (Well, maybe not the multitude of crazy Asians and Africans so beloved of some on here - my excuse is I'm too old to care enough :P).

Not only does that give you enrichment, it opens up your deadpooling options, if nothing else.

• Like 2

On 18/08/2023 at 02:19, ajlposh said:

As an American with very limited knowledge on this man, did anyone watch Ghostwatch when it aired back in the day? He hosted it. I saw it mentioned on an iceberg YouTube video. The story behind it, as well as the show itself, is very fascinating

Yes, I watched it. I am in the minority as I didn't find it remotely frightening and it was very obviously a drama. The fall-out from it was interesting though. 

50 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

Yes, I watched it. I am in the minority as I didn't find it remotely frightening and it was very obviously a drama. The fall-out from it was interesting though. 

Same here. I remember the BBC announcer saying "Screen One presents..." and I thought "that's a drama strand." So I watched it knowing it was made up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DeathClock said:

Lansbury was British 

1 hour ago, SovietJohnny said:

Lansbury was British 

Let’s all calm down about Angela Lansbury being British; she was also an American citizen for 70 years. 

On 17/08/2023 at 18:19, Deathrace said:

Quite surprised Bird has outlived Parkinson. They were childhood friends apparently and their fathers worked together down the pit. Bird sounds very upset in the interviews he has done today. 

I thought Dickie had died years ago, but it was David Shepherd I was thinking of.

• Shocked 1

7 hours ago, DeathClock said:

Genuine Question...

As an American, whenever The Deathlist hits on a British person (or other nationality) I am quite emotionless. The only non-American hit that I was interested in was Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip. Other than that, I feel nothing when a non-American public figure dies. In contrast, when there is an American "hit" I pay a lot more attention to it and I might even get bummed out when learning of the passing. 

I was wondering if British folks on this forum feel a similar way whenever the Deathlist has an American "hit"? 

We care and notice if it's a big hit, but Parkinson was our David Letterman.

Bob Barker was a name I had never heard until I was on this website. Whilst in the UK we consume a lot of US comedy and drama we don't tend to import game shows (if we do it is the format and not the shows themselves)

However if a name comes up in discussion that I do not know I normally assume that it is my ignorance not their lack of fame and will research accordingly

• Like 6

Despite the 'obituary' Parkinson did not interview Frank Sinatra. He met him once at an event but their conversation was minimal and when Parkinson left Sinatra called him by the wrong name. Parkinson said that the two people he had most missed interviewing were Sinatra & Don Bradman.

12 hours ago, The Watcher said:

Despite the 'obituary' Parkinson did not interview Frank Sinatra. He met him once at an event but their conversation was minimal and when Parkinson left Sinatra called him by the wrong name. Parkinson said that the two people he had most missed interviewing were Sinatra & Don Bradman.

Typical Parky arrogance and conceit.

• Confused 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Facepalm 2

12 hours ago, The Watcher said:

I heard Dickie Bird saying in an interview last week that the person Parkinson really wanted to interview but who always refused to go on his show was Clint Eastwood. 

Although Bradman was obviously an amazing cricketer, I'd not sure he was much of a raconteur. He probably never went on because he was shy as he lived to be old enough. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

I heard Dickie Bird saying in an interview last week that the person Parkinson really wanted to interview but who always refused to go on his show was Clint Eastwood. 

Although Bradman was obviously an amazing cricketer, I'd not sure he was much of a raconteur. He probably never went on because he was shy as he lived to be old enough. 

Clint is my favourite actor and that confirms my perception that he will not deal with parasites who seek reflected glory.

14 minutes ago, Kenny said:

Clint is my favourite actor and that confirms my perception that he will not deal with parasites who seek reflected glory.

Sorry to disappoint you, but Clint did appear on Parkinson - 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, NJD123 said:

Sorry to disappoint you, but Clint did appear on Parkinson - 

It was Dickie Bird who said it, not me. It was on LBC. 

• Like 1