lifeis...

Norman Lear

2024 needs a replacement centenarian. Spade, know any suffragette heroines we can call on?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Hit No. 18, this is really superb!

• Like 3

"From Lear to Eternity".

RIP- here's a clip of him guest starring as Benjamin Franklin on an episode of South Park:

(Fun fact: Cartman was based off of Archie Bunker and Lear was a friend of Trey Parker)

• Like 4

Yet both David Attenborough and Ruth L...oh wait they're several years younger and less crinkly. Soz.

• Like 2

Towards the end Norman Lear looked a bit like Cecil Turtle from the old Looney Tunes shorts.

e66b9bbb37a654623e11cdc37e607ecd.jpg

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, MortalCaso said:

RIP. 

Significant death for many reasons

He was also one of the senior celebrity cast members who took part in Carl Reiner's "If You're Not in the Obit, Eat Breakfast" documentary, in which he appeared in incredible shape (so much so, that Carl Reiner joked that he himself faked vitality, while Norman actually has it) and played a major role. Iris Apfel, Alan Bergman, Dick Van Dyke and Mel Brooks are the last senior cast members left.

• Like 4

His sitcoms were highly entertaining, but also making important observations about the Society we live in- made many people a lot more aware of life as it is for the whole spectrum- really influenced a lot of Americans in particular-  I bet he's not as popular with Republicans though!

I submitted him for my Derby Dead Pool literally yesterday as a joker. I should have waited a bit.

5 hours ago, The Immortal said:

He was also one of the senior celebrity cast members who took part in Carl Reiner's "If You're Not in the Obit, Eat Breakfast" documentary, in which he appeared in incredible shape (so much so, that Carl Reiner joked that he himself faked vitality, while Norman actually has it) and played a major role. Iris Apfel, Alan Bergman, Dick Van Dyke and Mel Brooks are the last senior cast members left.

Is the documentary any good?

Damn this one is actually really sad. Could've seen him living a few more years as he seemed to be in decent health & still had plans for the future. RIP Norman!

I must be the only person here who had no idea who this old dude was.  But I don't watch any American TV.

• Like 4

Literally never heard of him. Never even seen his name before. Would he even get a UK obit (can't see any mention of him yet in the papers)?

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

Literally never heard of him. Never even seen his name before. Would he even get a UK obit (can't see any mention of him yet in the papers)?

BBC

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wannamaker said:

BBC

Was also on the Sun’s website front page for a bit and has gotten Evening Standard coverage. 

7 hours ago, Toast said:

I must be the only person here who had no idea who this old dude was. 

No you're not.

But there's probably  a lot of non-Brits who don't know who Starmer-Smith is, in fairness.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

Several of his sit-coms were developed from UK TV sitcoms so that is an important link that might justify his coverage in the British media

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

No you're not.

But there's probably  a lot of non-Brits who don't know who Starmer-Smith is, in fairness.

Yes. As an American, had no idea who Rolf Harris or Michael Parkinson was. 

Same goes for all the UK politicians besides a few PM. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

Same – wrong age and location, probably. From the reactions I can appreciate that the bloke was better-known than Gates Sr., for instance.