gcreptile

Alex Trebek

He had been going well for awhile, but I did notice his voice was a little rough last week. Still, it's a shock.

I'm a Jeopardy diehard who has tuned into every episode since the early 2010s, so this hits hard for me, and even despite the predictability of his death I'm still teary eyed. His sturdy, classy, warm presence defined the show as much as the trivia itself. Though at the same time, I'm grateful that he lasted as long as he did with such an awful disease. There were many more months to appreciate him while he was still alive than I originally feared at the time of his diagnosis - and he knew he was loved and lived a full life.

Jeopardy will never quite feel the same without him. But it existed before him, and it will go on after him. RIP to a true class act and a pillar of my media consumption. :salute:

• Like 9

A bit shocked. Wasn't he filming relatively recently? Well, pancreatic cancer strikes again. You can never rule it out.

Hoppala...

Just got a text notification about him. Also I think this is first time i've correctly guessed who will die next via poll.

• Like 1

I cant say I did not expect it. But still shocked. A hit is a hit, but I hoped it would've taken a bit longer. 

• Like 1

This is a huge shock, not expected at all- he has been appearing on the show right along, with no hint of getting worse.  He was on an experimental treatment that seemed to be working, but said he would stop when it no longer worked- maybe that's what happened.  Many of us here in the States, who have seen this iconic show every night for years and years, are going to miss him very much- so sad- I thought he would make it into next year for sure.

Sad to see him go. Watched him all my life. In recent episodes that aired his hands and face looked bloated.

Not being American I wasn't really well acquainted with Alex Trebek but congrats to deathlist on acheiving the 16th hit, We are now equal to the best year ever 2017 at this point and beating the record of 17 is now surely well within reach ! 

The Answer is: This game show host died the same day as the bass player for Midnight Oil.

This is one hit on my shadow list that I'm not happy at all about...

Gonna miss you, Sir!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

He had to die in the same week as Connery, huh?

Only just heard the news and immediately thought of this coincidence myself. Was going to post but thought I'd just check before I did and lo and behold someone got there first. (That's what your mother said last night...) RIP Alex, though I've never seen Jeopardy! it is clearly well loved in the USA and you were a major part of the reason why.

R.I.P.

Expected this myself to be honest

Given how popular quiz shows are in this country It is strange how "Jeopardy!" never caught on in the UK despite several attempts at a British version.

• Like 2

RIP Kebert Xela, see you in the 5th dimension

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, dodrade said:

Given how popular quiz shows are in this country It is strange how "Jeopardy!" never caught on in the UK despite several attempts at a British version.

I never thought it was a good format for a gameshow tbh. Really tried to get into it several times. I don't understand the point in asking a question backwards. Is it supposed to be quirky? Does it make you extra smart? Is it more entertaining? No. I think we're dealt a good hand in the UK with The Chase, Eggheads, Millionaire etc.

Though we have had some real shit too admittedly. "Cleverdicks" hosted by Ann Widdecombe springs to mind.

• Like 1

I suppose I'm probably the only person on this site that hadn't heard of him until his name went on the list. . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

I suppose I'm probably the only person on this site that hadn't heard of him until his name went on the list. . 

Nor me!

RIP Alex Trebek. I commend the man for being such a fighter and I am glad he at least made 80. The DL record is now in Jeopardy!