GMsohum

Why no Indians ever in DeathList?

I have not yet found any Indian citizen in the DeathList. Why so? I am from India . Many Indians can be included. Many sportspersons or politicians from India are well known in UK. Why they are not included? How is the final list decided?

• Like 1

Not a huge amount of Indian people are household names in the UK, whether they be stars of chess, cricket, music or sex. And the ones that might be well known enough to be included are far too healthy.

Either that or the committee are massive racists, of course.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Not trying to be ignorant or anything. But can you name some of those 'well known in the UK' Indians? Because, I cannot name one single Indian athlete or politician I'd imagine being a "breaking news"-death or even have a headline on the frontpage. 

Not saying that's why they don't include Indians. Which noteable Indians are missing and are due to a visit from the reaper?

EDIT: Oh yeah they could be racist bastards on the committee. Who knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

27 minutes ago, GMsohum said:

I have not yet found any Indian citizen in the DeathList. Why so? I am from India . Many Indians can be included. Many sportspersons or politicians from India are well known in UK. Why they are not included? How is the final list decided?

So who has this sock account then?:lol:

Well, I think Amitabh Bachkhan would grace the DeathList, maaybe Dilip Kumar, too. But he was big before Bollywood went mainstream.

• Like 1

George Alagiah has been suggested plenty recently and he is Sri Lankan Tamil according to Wikipedia.

If you know of any other well known Indian/South Asian people who could appear in British media headlines who are sick or old then feel free to list them.

Ravi Shankar?????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GMsohum said:

Salman Rushdie was born in Bombay. Shall we remind the Ayatollahs that he's still around? :evil2:

And Ben Kingley's real name is Krishna Pandit Bhanji. He's reportedly a great snob who demands that everybody calls him "sir". I can put him on my next shadow list, if it makes you happy. :D

Perhaps the tennis star actor in Bond film Octopussy? Or musician Sharma whose splendid records I have about 30 in my collection?

By the way, I have visited Mumbai, Maharashtra. Mr. Sharma lives there (but he's from Kashmir). I have traveled Maharashtra on bus

The most famous Indians in the UK are the guy and lassie who call me up 7 times a day claiming to represent UK Broadcast, Sky, Microsoft, traffic accident information...I could go on.

Shame they don't use their real names, instead deciding to run their finger down a list of names they use for that day.

• Haha 3

All the important ones died a hundred years before DL existed.

oh.... THOSE Indians.....

Rolling along with our racist theme, shall I call Pakistanis 'Indians' or are we STRICTLY talking the country of?  I would like to think Nawaz Sharif could find his way onto 2021 list, but should have been on 2020's if you believe he is ill, not if you don't (I don't, but he won't survive prison long).  
But as for India proper, unless we have QOs popping up for Fortune 500 tech support service phone jockeys, I suspect they aren't important enough to make DL's main list.
SC 

Indian politicians would have traction on the Deathlist but most of them get assassinated.

I have Vikram Seth and Aranduthi Roi on my longlist

I also have Sonia Gandhi but I know she is Italian.

If you provide a list of notable Indians we might Scavage the names for our future lists

• Like 1

Former Test cricketer Datta Gaekwad would possibly get a qualifying obituary,  although the last of his 11 tests was almost 60 years ago. His so was the Indian cricket coach twice, which makes it slightly more likely.

• Like 1

Indians account for nearly 20% of world's population. Indians are spread across all nations. There are many Indian actors in Hollywood. Below is a list to name a few.

https://m.imdb.com/list/ls003265738/

They must be well known in UK as well. I know they are not old enough to be included in Death List. At present I have 3 names in my mind who can be future candidates in the list.

1) Dilip Kumar (96)

2) Lata Mangeshkar (88)

3) L.K. Advani (93)

You guys can come up with more names. 

P.S. Amitabh Bachchan can make it, but he is my favourite I don't want him to die. ;)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Not a huge amount of Indian people are household names in the UK, whether they be stars of chess, cricket, music or sex. And the ones that might be well known enough to be included are far too healthy.

Either that or the committee are massive racists, of course.

I don't think they are racists. Not many 100+ people that might be the reason. Also Indians are unpredictable as far as death is concerned. 

1 hour ago, GMsohum said:

Indians account for nearly 20% of world's population. Indians are spread across all nations. There are many Indian actors in Hollywood. Below is a list to name a few.

https://m.imdb.com/list/ls003265738/

They must be well known in UK as well. I know they are not old enough to be included in Death List. At present I have 3 names in my mind who can be future candidates in the list.

1) Dilip Kumar (96)

2) Lata Mangeshkar (88)

3) L.K. Advani (93)

You guys can come up with more names. 

P.S. Amitabh Bachchan can make it, but he is my favourite I don't want him to die. ;)

I should have written this in my first reply to you:

This is a British forum, and they require an obit in a British newspaper, most of the time. I know of two French members, who have extra shadow lists with French celebrities, one member has or had a list with German celebrities and someone had a list with Russian celebrities. Nobody here excludes Indian celebrities intentionally.

India is a major player on the world stage. Many interesting people live there & I think that it' up to members like you, who are interested in this subject, to provide an informative list for us. :)

• Like 1

Maharishi Mahesh Yogi was on the Deathlist in 2005, so it isn't a total swerve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GMsohum said:

I don't think they are racists. Not many 100+ people that might be the reason. Also Indians are unpredictable as far as death is concerned. 

I know they're not mate, you'll have to excuse my British sense of humour ;)

Maybe it's my own personal ignorance, but I hadn't heard of many of the names mentioned here so far pre-DL forums...But as you'll see on here, everyone has their own idea of who's 'Deathlisty' enough to make it on the list.

By all means join in with our Deadpools! Your additional knowledge of Indians potentially about to croak it might see you in good stead with some unique hits!

• Like 1

Racism.  We need more Diversity in our deathlist we can and need to do better . :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Couple of thoughts:

• I personally think Dilip Kumar should have made the list this year
  • Lata Mangeshkar is old sure, but she isn't 90 yet and not ill enough to justify inclusion at the moment - get back to me in two years and i'll almost certainly think otherwise
  • L.K. Advani is astoundingly irrelevant in terms of a UK based list
  • Given the politicians on the list this year, Atal Bihari Vajpayee should maybe have been on the list, but moot point given he's dead
  • Bachchan is too young at the moment, unless the committee is finally listening to my yearly pitch for 'less 90+ oldies, more younger long shots to make it more entertaining' 
  • It's a couple of decades too early at the moment, but i suspect if the DL (and humanity in general) still exist when he's old, Tendulkar will be a sure shot inclusion
  • Maybe Kapil Dev in a couple of years? Haven't seen a cricketer make the list yet period, though, so IDK if he's famous enough in the UK
  • Rushdie continues to exist in the 'well he could be assassinated because of that fatwa but he hasn't been yet' space
  • Kingsley's old, give it another 5 odd years and he should make a fair debate topic
  • Maybe you can include industrialists a la the Tatas? Though IDK how much of famous names the individual members are v/s the company named after the family, sooo...
  • I'd probably have more thoughts if it wasn't 1:30 am in India rn
  • Like 2

Manmohan Singh can also be included in the list at some point. He is 87 years old now. He is famous in UK as well because he was PM of India 

15 minutes ago, CastAway said:

Couple of thoughts:

• I personally think Dilip Kumar should have made the list this year
  • Lata Mangeshkar is old sure, but she isn't 90 yet and not ill enough to justify inclusion at the moment - get back to me in two years and i'll almost certainly think otherwise
  • L.K. Advani is astoundingly irrelevant in terms of a UK based list
  • Given the politicians on the list this year, Atal Bihari Vajpayee should maybe have been on the list, but moot point given he's dead
  • Bachchan is too young at the moment, unless the committee is finally listening to my yearly pitch for 'less 90+ oldies, more younger long shots to make it more entertaining' 
  • It's a couple of decades too early at the moment, but i suspect if the DL (and humanity in general) still exist when he's old, Tendulkar will be a sure shot inclusion
  • Maybe Kapil Dev in a couple of years? Haven't seen a cricketer make the list yet period, though, so IDK if he's famous enough in the UK
  • Rushdie continues to exist in the 'well he could be assassinated because of that fatwa but he hasn't been yet' space
  • Kingsley's old, give it another 5 odd years and he should make a fair debate topic
  • Maybe you can include industrialists a la the Tatas? Though IDK how much of famous names the individual members are v/s the company named after the family, sooo...
  • I'd probably have more thoughts if it wasn't 1:30 am in India rn

The late Om Puri has only received three mentions on this site.

On 27/01/2020 at 19:06, GMsohum said:

I honestly cannot think of a single famous person off the top of my head that is from India who is still alive. Plus I don't think the UK media will cover any deaths in India - whether it's T-Series artists or ex-Gov officials (unless their death was really tragic and/or gruesome).

• Like 1