Paul Bearer

Ideas and possibilities for 2024

On 14/11/2023 at 11:03, Sly Ronnie said:

Been looking in Youtube recently and Sir John still looks very gaunt and seems to be speaking from home a lot.

Definitely something up, I'd say.

He was my dissertation supervisor in 1994 at Strathclyde University. .

Whenever I met with him in his office I had to go into the office next door to get a chair as he did not have room for an extra chair due to it being filled with books, journals and magazines.  When I brought the chair in I then had to kick a swathe of printed matter aside to create a space to put the chair. 

Another reason for the clutter was a bike in his office.  I am not aware of him ever using it.  He lived in Edinburgh and the Uni was in Glasgow. 

• Like 8

On 22/01/2023 at 02:32, arghton said:

Some 20/20 possibilities

Solihin G. P. - Indonesian politician and Lt. Gen who was the Governor of West Java 1970-1975. He's been in and out of hospital since suffering a stroke in 2017 and was rumored dead in 2021 when he was ill with covid. 97 this year.

Sao Sanda - Burmese royal and last princess of Yawnghwe, 95 this year. Apparently attended the wedding of QEII. Probably not many of those still living.

Mohamed Fayek - Nasser-era Egyptian cabinet minister. 94 this year.

Sankara Narayana Menon Chundayil - One hell of a name (try saying that), however also called Shri Sankaranarayana Menon and Unni Gurukkal. Indian martial artist, master of Kerala's Kalaripayattu and Padma Shri recipient. Wheelchairbound and quite frail. 94 next month.

Jukka Haavisto - Finnish jazz vibraphonist and accordionist. Lyme disease, 93 this year.

K. W. Lee - Korean-US journalist. Liver and stomach cancer survivor and underwent a liver transplant 31 years ago. 95 in June. 

Max Baldwin - Australian Olympic canoeist, 95. Lost the ability to move his other leg due to polio in 1929.

T. K. Murthy - 98-year-old Indian mridangam master. Has never really looked very healthy.

Wang Huo - Chinese writer and best friend of Ma Shitu. Survived multiple heart attacks a few years ago and every time he makes a public appearance he looks like a different person. 99 this year.

Budimir Lončar - Formerly the Foreign Affairs Minister of Yugoslavia, Croatia's own Kissinger still around to tell how things should be done in his opinion. 99 this year.

Gazi Yaşargil - Turkish pioneer of microneurosurgery. 98 this year.

Ihor Yukhnovskyi - Former Vice Prime Minister of Ukraine. 97.

Vija Vētra - Latvian Classical Indian dancer who lives in the US. Appeared in a few episodes of Mister Rogers' Neighbourhood in the 1960s and 1970s. 100 next month.

Jukka Haavisto, music councilor and jazz vibraphonist dead at 93. No longer a possibility for 2024

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Kit Williams, Katt Williams, Kate Williams.

I would not add William Katt however

How about former Chancellor and perennial unsuccessful Conservative leadership candidate Lord Kenneth Clarke? Has been overweight for decades, famously smokes cigars like a chimney and enjoys a drink. Never been a picture of health but now increasingly dishevelled. Wife died about ten years ago. He's 84 next year and has done well to make it this far given his lifestyle as has looked like a heart attack waiting to happen for a long time. 

• Like 1

Eileen Derbyshire 

Julie Goodyear-Didn't the statement about her dementia diagnosis indicate or hint she may have a more rapid  decline and severe form  of the illness?

Robert Redford. Got a strong feeling in my gut about him as if something is brewing.  The feeling is strong and increasing. 

1 hour ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Robert Redford. Got a strong feeling in my gut about him as if something is brewing.  The feeling is strong and increasing. 

Oh fuck. Take cover!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

From Save or Kill straight to all the deadpools: Dario G.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/celebrity/pop-icon-dario-g-opens-31541326

There's not a lot extra about his health than earlier in the year, but he does finally reveal how old he is, which helps with DDP selection (52).

He's in the final shortlist of 20 that I'm trying to shoehorn in a DDP team that I've already selected 18! 38 in 20 doesn't go...

3 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

There's not a lot extra about his health than earlier in the year, but he does finally reveal how old he is, which helps with DDP selection (52).

He's in the final shortlist of 20 that I'm trying to shoehorn in a DDP team that I've already selected 18! 38 in 20 doesn't go...

Lol.. seems I missed the earlier announcement. A couple of news outlets, too, though

I've kept an eye on Dario G since the news earlier this year and he will remain a pick that I'll be umming and arring over until NYE. I guess he would be a safer pick than the likes of Kate Keltie, Eric Lamaze and Randy Jackson that all bizarrely made my main DDP team this year. Can't wait to scrub those stains off for 2024.

• Like 1

I’m going to predict at least one of Meghan Markle, Harry Mountbatten - Windsor or Omid Scobie dies next year. 

• Like 1

With 1 month left in 2023, here's a 2024 DL that would score well.

1. Jimmy Carter (100, Ex US President, 6)

2. Joanne Woodward (94, Actress, 17)

3. Frank Field (82, Politician, NEW)

4. Ethel Kennedy (96, Kennedy Family, 18)

5. Nigel Starmer-Smith (80, Rugby Commentator, 5)

6. Glynis Johns (101, Actress, NEW)

7. Brigitte Bardot (90, Actress, NEW)

8. Alain Delon (89, Actor, NEW)

9. Stanley Baxter (98, Comedian, 20)

10. Linda Nolan (65, Nolan Sister, 47)

11. James Whale (73, Broadcaster, -)

12. Esther Rantzen (84, TV presenter, NEW)

13. Bob Newhart (95, Comedian, 37)

14. Jacques Delors (99, French Politician, 11)

15. Vanessa Redgrave (87, Actress, -)

16. Cleo Laine (97, Jazz Singer, 24)

17. Sandy Gall (97, TV news reporter, 16)

18. Norman Lear (102, TV Producer, 28)

19. James Watson (96, Scientist, NEW)

20. Joan Plowright (95, Actress, NEW)

21. Ryan O’Neal (83, Actor, NEW)

22. George Eastham (88, Footballer, NEW)

23. Douglas Hurd (94, Politician, -)

24. Eva Marie Saint (100, Actress, NEW)

25. Jonnie Irwin (51, TV Presenter, NEW)

26. Dennis Skinner (92, Politician, 41)

27. Shannen Doherty (53, 90210 Actor, -)

28. Jean-Marie Le Pen (96, French Neo-Nazi, 22)

29. Dick Cheney (83, Politician, 8)

30. Bruce Willis (69, Actor, NEW)

31. Yoko Ono (91, Mrs Lennon, 27)

32. Denis Law (84, Footballer, -)

33. Bernadette Chirac (91, First Lady of France, NEW)

34. Jean Marsh (90, Actress, NEW)

35. Richard Franklin (88, Actor, NEW)

36. Richard Wilson (88, Actor, NEW)

37. Joseph Estrada (87, Politician, NEW)

38. Joe Don Baker (88, Actor, NEW)

39. George Lazenby (85, Bond, NEW)

40. Pope Francis (88, Pope, NEW)

41. Norman Tebbit (93, Politician, 14)

42. Sonny Rollins (94, Jazz Musician, 44)

43. Willie Nelson (91, Country Singer, 40)

44. Imelda Marcos (95, Former First Lady of the Philippines, 33)

45. Pete Murray (99, British radio presenter, 36)

46. Marianne Faithfull (78, Singer, 30)

47. Alan Greenspan (98, Economist, 4)

48. Mel Brooks (98, Comedian/Director, 10)

49. Dick Van Dyke (99, Actor, 1)

50. Prunella Scales (92, Sybil Fawlty, 26)

What do we think? Any big omissions immediately come to mind?

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, The Daredevil said:

There are interesting names for many pools, @The Daredevil.

But... Noam Chomsky, Julie Goodyear, Douglas Hurd, Patrick Murray, Patricia Routledge, William Russell and Julie Walters are untouchable names for my personal list.

1 hour ago, The Daredevil said:

46. Marianne Faithfull (78, Singer, 30)

To be honest, I don't really like Marianne Faithfull. I prefer to add Françoise Hardy to this list.

She's one of my favourite celebrities.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

49. Dick Van Dyke (99, Actor, 1)

This is probably wishful thinking!

I'm worried there won't be a change.

In my opinion there would have been three sensible and legitimate candidates for the DL No.1 next year: Jimmy Carter, Shane MacGowan and Henry Kissinger.

Two of them have already said goodbye, whether Carter will make it into the new year is very questionable.

If he dies, Dick Van Dyke will probably just be left at No. 1. And that would be so indifferent, uncreative and unexciting, once again, meh!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

As much as I like and campaign for the inclusion of more french names, I’m pretty sure Delon is too healthy to be on the list: he’s just a massive attention seeker and is said to be in perfect fit for his age. The only way he could die next year imo is if he gets assisted suicide (cf. Godard) which is a high possibility for him. 
also, Chomsky, Farrakhan, Minnelli, Osbourne and Amartya Sen seem risky ommission. Overall good list though !

Surprised by the lack of Attenborough on this page. Yes, he seems to be in great health, but he will also turn 98 (in May). I'd say bring him back on the list and keep him on until his name goes red.

• Like 3

Any chance David Icke and Paul McCartney can be included. The first because he is an annoying overblown arsehole. And the second for being the same since his last decent album which was Band on the Run in 1973. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Barry B Benson said:

Time for Jerry Seinfeld to get stung in 2024 I think 

with love, BBB

Good to see ya Barry!

Hazel O'Connor might be one to add. Health issues well known. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

23. Sandra Day O’Connor (94, Politician, NEW)

Replaced with Douglas Hurd

• Like 1