Joey Russ

Thoughts on 2023 Deathlist

Just now, Evil Grimace said:

I'd say the Committee have excellent judgement and/or extremely lucky - they've done this for three picks this year so far.

Musharraf - 2004, 2020, 2023

Lawson - 2012, 2023 (impressive!)

Turner - 2019, 2023

If that pattern holds then,

Nolan - 2018, 2021, 2023(?)

Marcos - 2020, 2021, 2023(?)

Khamenei - 2011, 2021, 2023(?)

They've managed it before too,

Jerry Lee Lewis 2022, last picked 1993 (!!!!)

John Edrich 2020, last picked 2011, 2010

Charles Aznavour 2018, last 2014, 1990

And if you are thinking ahead to 2024...

Jake 'The Snake' Roberts, last picked in 2015.

Myself, Joey and DI were discussing this one during lockdown and the consensus on best "boomerang" DL success was, iirc, George Cole. Picked on one of the first 3 lists, then never again until 2015, when he randomly died in his sleep aged 90!

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Evil Grimace said:

I'd say the Committee have excellent judgement and/or extremely lucky - they've done this for three picks this year so far.

Musharraf - 2004, 2020, 2023

Lawson - 2012, 2023 (impressive!)

Turner - 2019, 2023

If that pattern holds then,

Nolan - 2018, 2021, 2023(?)

Marcos - 2020, 2021, 2023(?)

Khamenei - 2011, 2021, 2023(?)

They've managed it before too,

Jerry Lee Lewis 2022, last picked 1993 (!!!!)

John Edrich 2020, last picked 2011, 2010

Charles Aznavour 2018, last 2014, 1990

And if you are thinking ahead to 2024...

Jake 'The Snake' Roberts, last picked in 2015.

I tend to be a little less impressed by Lawson than the other two tbh : the guy was into his 90´s anyway so that’s a fortunate coincidence but not a stroke of genius for me. Turner was though. Also, JLL wasn’t that impressive when you put in perspective how frail he looked prior to making the list and his ailments.

I wouldn’t say hits that appeared in few list are more impressive than others. What is impressive with Tina is she could have died a few years ago or in a few years and on their 2 prediction one of them was right which represents 50% success. Carter on the other hand…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msc said:

Myself, Joey and DI were discussing this

:evil:  Sorry, but I have to!  The misuse of "myself" is a modern curse. 

The test is to drop the other people and see if it makes sense if it's just you.  Would you say " Myself was discussing this"?

No, you would not.  You would say "I was discussing this".  Now put the other people back in, and the convention is that you put yourself last as a courtesy:

"Joey, DI and I were discussing this"

angry-teacher-wooden-stick-chalkboard-blackboard-background-75141901.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 25/05/2023 at 11:36, YoungWillz said:

Interesting.

While I've had many crossover hits on my Deathlist Prediction Team and am currently tied with the Committee on hits, all my hits there are in the top half of my counter-list.

So while I've scored badly in the Prediction competition, my team is a better predictor.

I'll probably live to regret this post by year's end, mind.

Kaczynski was also in the top half of my prediction counter-list. Not on the Committee's at all.

Yay.

On 01/01/2023 at 02:05, Grimgrass said:

The drops:

1. David Attenborough
  2. Emperor Akihito
  3. Ted Kaczynski
  4. James Whale
  5. Denis Law
  6. Noam Chomsky
  7. David Crosby
  8. Michael Gambon
  9. Douglas Hurd
  10. Silvio Berlusconi
  11. Linda Ronstadt

Well, that's three drops dead now. Though I don't blame them for missing Crosby and Berlusconi, both felt like poor picks last year.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Grimgrass said:

Well, that's three drops dead now. Though I don't blame them for missing Crosby and Berlusconi, both felt like poor picks last year.

Yep, I do agree. Kaczynski is the only « miss » here but still, it’s disappointing… the fact that Carter has outlived Berlusconi is quite wild though

• Like 4

Well, I remember saying that dropping James Whale was a terrible mistake. But for now, they got that right.

13 minutes ago, Grimgrass said:

And yet Kaczynski was the only one of those three who died an unnatural death!

On 01/01/2023 at 06:04, Clorox Bleachman said:

Here are all the names people think should have been on the list. Feel free to recommend more. At the end of the week they get locked in the vault.

1. Emperor Akihito
  2. George Alagiah
  3. Buzz Aldrin
  4. David Attenborough
  5. Thelma Barlow
  6. Silvio Berlusconi
  7. Rob Burrow
  8. Michael Caine
  9. Bernadette Chirac
  10. Sandra Day O'Connor
  11. Clint Eastwood
  12. Frank Field
  13. Roberta Flack
  14. Jane Fonda
  15. Janey Godley
  16. Gene Hackman
  17. Jonnie Irwin
  18. Randy Jackson
  19. Glynis Johns
  20. Ted Kaczynski
  21. Val Kilmer
  22. Don King
  23. June Lockhart
  24. Vladimir Putin
  25. William Roache
  26. Marion Ross
  27. William Russell
  28. Eva Marie Saint
  29. Frankie Valli
  30. Gianluca Vialli
  31. James Whale

And if you have the audacity to give it "why were they not on the list?" when a B-lister dies suddenly in August, then I'll hold you accountable. This post will prove whether bragging rights are yours, or you're a scheming little opportunist. You have been warned. :evil2:

I'm hearing "not a miss" allegations about Berlusconi. @Genfærd was the only person to mention him by name:

On 01/01/2023 at 00:43, Genfærd said:

Silvio Berlusconi & David Attenborough could be huge misses. Have a gut feeling that one of them will be gone this year. Other than that a good list.

Plenty others agreed with the cmme's decision to drop him.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

I'm hearing "not a miss" allegations about Berlusconi. @Genfærd was the only person to mention him by name:

Plenty others agreed with the cmme's decision to drop him.

I checked the teams on twisted DL, no one picked him. It’s not as revealing as the stats of DDP but still, even with the recent hits, some teams could have picked him: no one did because right up to the end no one thought it was that serious. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

I checked the teams on twisted DL, no one picked him. It’s not as revealing as the stats of DDP but still, even with the recent hits, some teams could have picked him: no one did because right up to the end no one thought it was that serious. 

The Boy Who Cried Wolf

• Like 2

Fallen back with regards to what was possible after Tina Turner's death but there is still some talent on the team. Still ahead of 2017 which was the second most successful year

Updated for Milan Kundera

image.thumb.png.fccfb98102b7ff695387946820c6bbd2.png

• Like 7

It’s interesting that the two Dicks are potentially the healthiest candidates on this year’s list. 

Who do others think is the healthiest candidate on the 2023 DL? You could argue Alan Alda but Parkinson’s is no sign of good health.

17 minutes ago, The Daredevil said:

It’s interesting that the two Dicks are potentially the healthiest candidates on this year’s list. 

Who do others think is the healthiest candidate on the 2023 DL? You could argue Alan Alda but Parkinson’s is no sign of good health.

Desmond Morris seems to be in good health 

5 hours ago, wannamaker said:

Desmond Morris seems to be in good health 

Robert Duvall and Angie Dickinson maybe as well 

5 hours ago, Deathrace said:

Robert Duvall and Angie Dickinson maybe as well 

And Hal Linden

Updated for Tony Bennett

We are now between 2008 & 2015 both of which ended on 14 hits

However the other year that ended on 14 was 2022 and at the same stage last year we still only had 4 hits

image.thumb.png.ddf4ad7e14b386a264bb09880a42dece.png

• Like 7

I think we're going to get to at least 15, maybe even see closer to 20. Feels like that kind of year.

• Like 5

I think picking Jimmy Carter was a mistake

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Even with the unlucky drops this has been a good year so far, thinking 16 hits total.

• Like 4

This year, the death list will score between 16 and 18 in my opinion. 

It will have to be at least 15, my guess 17. Even if you discount the maybes (Baxter, Gall, Laine, Skinner), there are still at least five more certs IMO (J Carter, Woodward, Starmer-Smith, Nolan, Ackland). R Carter, Kennedy, Le Pen, Charlton and Delors also seem very likely hits this year. One of the centenarians is also a safe bet, not Kissinger though.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, The Daredevil said:

It will have to be at least 15, my guess 17. Even if you discount the maybes (Baxter, Gall, Laine, Skinner), there are still at least five more certs IMO (J Carter, Woodward, Starmer-Smith, Nolan, Ackland). R Carter, Kennedy, Le Pen, Charlton and Delors also seem very likely hits this year. One of the centenarians is also a safe bet, not Kissinger though.

Norman Tebbit also has to be included as a strong maybe imo

• Like 1

The 2017 DL broke the all time record with 17 hits

2020 broke it again with 20 hits

Lets see if 2023 can do the same with 23 hits

Of the 9 hits so far, Bacharach, Lawson and Turner were the only ones which surprised me. Even so, Musharraf, Sakamoto, Harris and Kundera have been the only really obvious picks to have gone in 2023. Many of our preferred certs (J Carter, Woodward, Starmer-Smith, Nolan, Rollins, Ackland etc.), are still around.

I’m also really starting to appreciate Jacques Delors and Bobby Charlton being carried over. Both must be in a dire state of health by now; how are they still alive? Rollins (or any other famous 92-year-old ex heroin addict) is a great pick too, he’ll probably see 93 though (not as many celebrities seem to go at 92; it’s a rarer age for celebrities to die).

As for Gall, Baxter and Laine, we still know as little about their conditions as we did in January, they could go in a month or in a few years.

• Like 2