Joey Russ

Thoughts on 2023 Deathlist

If Silvio Berlusconi, Ted Kaczynski, and Michael Gambon were still on the list, we would have broken the 2020 record.

• Like 7

On 01/12/2023 at 00:30, Comped said:

I don't think Norman Lear has any reason not to make it out of the rest of the year alive. Is he incredibly old? Yes, but he doesn't seem to have any noticeable health issues. Mentally he still seems very sharp as well, at least whenever he does those specials with Jimmy Kimmel...

You just said ?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, thadee said:

If Silvio Berlusconi, Ted Kaczynski, and Michael Gambon were still on the list, we would have broken the 2020 record.

Apart from Kaczynski that was a stupid drop, they just got really unlucky with Berlusconi, Gambon and Crosby. They seemed like sensible drops at the time and they weren't that old. Still, we may get 20 hits again, there are enough old and ill picks for 2 to die in the following weeks.

• Like 6

This is the longest it's ever taken for the DL to achieve an 18th hit of the year.

It is only the second time it's ever happened, mind. And it's only three days later than the other time.

• Like 3

Still sure Carter will make it 2024. I can see another hit like Woodward or Baxter but I doubt we will equal 2020…

32 minutes ago, La Tombe said:

You just said ?

Damn it. Guess I was wrong there.

All bets are off now as to whether we equal or even break the record. With 5 hits in less than 20 days and at least one piece of low hanging fruit clinging to the branches there is the possibility of a new record but personally I think it will be 19 hits for the year

image.thumb.png.bcf0aa2932740e4090ed258f34d9c136.png

• Like 8

The fundamentals ended up pretty strong this year. Lots of the hits (Bacharach, Belafonte, Bennett, Barker, Charlton, Carter, Kissinger, Shane) were clearly going to die on the DL, the only question was what year. Given how underwhelming the DDP canon has been, not throwing many forum bones beyond Sakamoto might've actually gotten them more hits.

• Like 1

On 30/11/2023 at 23:30, Comped said:

I don't think Norman Lear has any reason not to make it out of the rest of the year alive. Is he incredibly old? Yes, but he doesn't seem to have any noticeable health issues. Mentally he still seems very sharp as well, at least whenever he does those specials with Jimmy Kimmel...

You were saying..  ??!! You just can't take health for granted at such a grand  old age.  I wonder if any of the other names I listed as examples will also come true or the committee does surpass  the record?

Ethel or Jacques next possibly?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

You were saying..  ??!! You just can't take health for granted at such a grand  old age.  I wonder if any of the other names I listed as examples will also come true or the committee does surpass  the record?

Ethel or Jacques next possibly?

Well at least he died of old age. Which is a little less predictable than physical ailment... So I wasn't wrong on that part at least.

Who on the list is a WW2 veteran? Surely Jimmy Carter and Mel Brooks, DVD barely qualifies. Anyone else?

I now proclaim December 5th as the Day of Death because it is the day with the most hits of all DeathLists: 5 hits on this date is a record! :party:

05.12.2012 Oscar Niemeyer

05.12.2013 Nelson Mandela

05.12.2017 King Michael of Romania

05.12.2021 Bob Dole

05.12.2023 Norman Lear

Sometimes there is an incorrect date of death on the front page, it is not always accurate,  the following day is specified.

Maybe the DeathList will set another record by achieving more than 20 hits in total... it seems to be having a good run right now. Keep it up!

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Still sure Carter will make it 2024. I can see another hit like Woodward or Baxter but I doubt we will equal 2020…

Absolutely not, he is in awful state. He was sleeping on his wheelchair at the funeral of his wife. I see him passing these December !

52 minutes ago, La Tombe said:

Absolutely not, he is in awful state. He was sleeping on his wheelchair at the funeral of his wife. I see him passing these December !

Why do I read all your posts in an “Allo Allo” style voice in my head?

• Haha 1

Now at 17 of 20 dead will 2023 be tge record year if most people dying and will it beat 2020 record 

47 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Why do I read all your posts in an “Allo Allo” style voice in my head?

He was slipping on his wheelchair and will piss away this December. Everyone will be in a state of moaning.

• Haha 3

Has someone ever considered ranking the candidates in term of notability ? Would love that

5 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

All bets are off now as to whether we equal or even break the record. With 5 hits in less than 20 days and at least one piece of low hanging fruit clinging to the branches there is the possibility of a new record but personally I think it will be 19 hits for the year

Graph.jpeg (cut for size)

i voted the 'no further deaths' option in "The 19th Death of 2023" poll thread, thereby guaranteeing at least one more hit this year. 

• Like 1

Carter is 50/50 for making the new year IMO. I can see one or two more old hits, like Jean-Marie Le Pen or Greenspan, before the end of the year. I think 19 or 20 is the most likely outcome this year.

• Like 2

A very good year for the DeathList.

• Like 1