Godot

Ask A Deathlister

Based around an office conversation... any idea how many "pending" obituaries the BBC/AP keep on file at any one time? 500 was the number floated, does the learned panel reckon the figure is higher or lower than that?

I would suggest that might be too high it would be a lot to keep uptodate I would guess 100-200.

Bob Chaundry, former BBC obit chief writer, said "several hundred".

There was a bbc documentary about this a number of years ago. I can't remember who presented it, but it wasn't a top name journalist, and the BBC had their obituary on file too, which leads me to believe we could be talking a four figure number.

You wouldn't at least know the name of the documentary?

There's an interesting webpage on the BBC site regarding obituaries.

In the eight minute video, obituaries editor Nick Serpell says, "we don't tend to do obituaries until people are in their 70s by which time their career is pretty much behind them".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/academy/journalism/article/art20150109150323367

Based around an office conversation... any idea how many "pending" obituaries the BBC/AP keep on file at any one time? 500 was the number floated, does the learned panel reckon the figure is higher or lower than that?

I would suggest that might be too high it would be a lot to keep uptodate I would guess 100-200.

There was a bbc documentary about this a number of years ago. I can't remember who presented it, but it wasn't a top name journalist, and the BBC had their obituary on file too, which leads me to believe we could be talking a four figure number.

No, because I seem to recall it was a vignette segment within something like Newsnight.

? People are going away from DVD collections to just filling a hard drive now Toast.

People who are down with the kids just stream.

Any excel boffins help me out. I need to calculate ages ranging from people born in the late 1800s to the present day (it's sort of DL related) but I've run into the old excel thinks the world started on the 1st January 1900 problem, is their an easy way to change excels mind and convince it the world started on the 1st January 1800 so that I can calculate the age at death of someone who was say born in 1886 and died 1985 etc etc? I tried using a macro but it didn't work.

Any excel boffins help me out. I need to calculate ages ranging from people born in the late 1800s to the present day (it's sort of DL related) but I've run into the old excel thinks the world started on the 1st January 1900 problem, is their an easy way to change excels mind and convince it the world started on the 1st January 1800 so that I can calculate the age at death of someone who was say born in 1886 and died 1985 etc etc? I tried using a macro but it didn't work.

Simple answer, no, you can't change Excel's mind. Google offers a multitude of answers involving macros, conversions etc., but if all you're doing is using it to determine age at death, why not enter years in 2 digit format, making Excel believe you're interested in (say) 1986 and died in 2085?

I've found what it was!

The Art of Dying, by Dan Cruickshank, which was a BBC4 documentary from 2009.

There is a clip here.

That had been annoying me.

• Like 1

I've found what it was!

There is a clip here.

Given the relative ease of compiling them compared to the video editing machinery of the past it's got to be well into four figures. Time was the likes of Merle Haggard wouldn't have got a sniff, but they appear prepared these days.

Surely someone from that dept trawls our banter for tips (seriously) couldn't they, like, show themselves.

Wasn't Alphonsin employed that way by one of the broadsheets?

Simple answer, no, you can't change Excel's mind. Google offers a multitude of answers involving macros, conversions etc., but if all you're doing is using it to determine age at death, why not enter years in 2 digit format, making Excel believe you're interested in (say) 1986 and died in 2085?

It's ok I've been gifted a solution from somewhere else that involves and incredibly long formula that I've just got my head round but thanks. It might not have changed excels mind but it's certainly made it think outside the box. The simple answer to your extremely fair point is I'm also interested in living people (it's an oldest of x database) and don't want to ruin a lovely spreadsheet with a lonely square declaring that today is actually 200 years in the future.

I've found what it was!

There is a clip here.

Given the relative ease of compiling them compared to the video editing machinery of the past it's got to be well into four figures. Time was the likes of Merle Haggard wouldn't have got a sniff, but they appear prepared these days.

Surely someone from that dept trawls our banter for tips (seriously) couldn't they, like, show themselves.

Wasn't Alphonsin employed that way by one of the broadsheets?

Not on here, but I am convinced that I was the source for a newspapers exclusive on Jimmy Hill's dementia. I was chatting about it on Twitter about how I'd heard Hill had Alzheimers with some pals, one of whom was friends with a journalist for said newspaper. The very next day, it was one of their main stories!

I don't use Twitter anymore, so I can't use this power to bring forth a Delpech obit.

In 2001, Shaggy claimed 'it wasn't me'.

So, did we ever determine who was banging Scooby Doo on the bathroom floor ?

In 2001, Shaggy claimed 'it wasn't me'.

So, did we ever determine who was banging Scooby Doo on the bathroom floor ?

it wasn't me.
  • Like 1

Ok...I don't know if there's a fitting thread for my question abut this seemed like the right one. I'm doing a private list of notable people who are 90+ (and soon to be 90) from music, movies, sports (this one is a mystery for me), royalty, leaders...help me out

P.S. music and movies part is mostly done so I need help with the other branches

Ok...I don't know if there's a fitting thread for my question abut this seemed like the right one. I'm doing a private list of notable people who are 90+ (and soon to be 90) from music, movies, sports (this one is a mystery for me), royalty, leaders...help me out

P.S. music and movies part is mostly done so I need help with the other branches

Someone has beaten you to it.

http://www.genarians.com/default.htm

Someone has beaten you to it.

http://www.genarians.com/default.htm

Don't worry, it wasn't for Death list or a blog. Just a private list. But thanks for that link.

I need a new laptop. As big a storage and memory and all that gubbins as possible, with a thingy plug to plug a monitor in, separate number pad would be a boon! Don't want touchscreen and only have £400. Hit me dudes.

Sorry, I meant, does anyone have any recommendations. Not a HP PavilionPileofShit.

I need a new laptop. As big a storage and memory and all that gubbins as possible, with a thingy plug to plug a monitor in, separate number pad would be a boon! Don't want touchscreen and only have £400. Hit me dudes.

Sorry, I meant, does anyone have any recommendations. Not a HP PavilionPileofShit.

Are you looking for one that has Windows 10 or an earlier version?

I've got a Toshiba that's got 1 TB and a number pad. Had it about 3 years now, it was about £350 from John Lewis.

I've got a Toshiba that's got 1 TB and a number pad. Had it about 3 years now, it was about £350 from John Lewis.

How much would it be for the same brand? Laptops here are so expensive that I just opted for an all-in-one system. It's not as portable but since I only use it at home it'll be fine and then if the kids want to use it, it's got a nice big screen that they can play games on. Only drawback is it had Windows 10 so half the software I had with the previous pc no longer works.

Get one built to order lardy.

Imagine you'd get one in that price bracket if that is all your requirements are.

(You need the DVD drive? Save a few quid by ditching that).

Can't be assed to wait for one to be built, and do need a DVD drive thing. Not bothered about Windows 10.

Can't be assed to wait for one to be built, and do need a DVD drive thing. Not bothered about Windows 10.

I think I have one, comes with an internal 14.4 modem, 5 1/4" floppy and Windows 3.1

• Like 2

I think I have one, comes with an internal 14.4 modem, 5 1/4" floppy and Windows 3.1

I'm a true techno dunce so I'm only half sure that you are taking the piss out of me 😄

• Like 2

I'm a true techno dunce so I'm only half sure that you are taking the piss out of me

It just means I have a very old laptop that's weighs about the same as a breeze block and has the same thickness.

I bought a Dell All-in-one that has 8gb memory, 1TB hard drive. CD/DVD writer, but mine cost me $600. Looking at the prices online, you can get a decent one for about the same price, although I would go to a shop other than John Lewis, one that has a higher turnover of stock and will charge a bit less.

I'm a true techno dunce so I'm only half sure that you are taking the piss out of me

It just means I have a very old laptop that's weighs about the same as a breeze block and has the same thickness.

I bought a Dell All-in-one that has 8gb memory, 1TB hard drive. CD/DVD writer, but mine cost me $600. Looking at the prices online, you can get a decent one for about the same price, although I would go to a shop other than John Lewis, one that has a higher turnover of stock and will charge a bit less.

This should do it http://www.johnlewis.com/toshiba-satellite-c55d-laptop-amd-a8-8gb-ram-1tb-15-6-/p2521641?colour=WhiteYou get a 2 year guarantee with them and they don't ask too many questions if things pack in. As long as it doesn't look like it was run over by a truck.

• Like 1

This should do it http://www.johnlewis.com/toshiba-satellite-c55d-laptop-amd-a8-8gb-ram-1tb-15-6-/p2521641?colour=WhiteYou get a 2 year guarantee with them and they don't ask too many questions if things pack in. As long as it doesn't look like it was run over by a truck.

Yes, I was just going to link that one. Pretty similar to mine, have had no problems with it.

As well as the 2 year guarantee, John Lewis has their price promise whereby if you can find a cheaper one on sale within a certain radius, they will refund you the difference.

• Like 1