Magere Hein

Death In The Family

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

I had all my grandparents alive at the time of this post. Not anymore though. Just lost one of my grandfathers at 81. But he lived a good life 

I am very sorry, my condolences, much strength to you and your family in this difficult time

16 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

I had all my grandparents alive at the time of this post. Not anymore though. Just lost one of my grandfathers at 81. But he lived a good life 

Sorry to hear this; you were blessed to know them all.  Glad to hear he had a good life, it’s the best any of us can hope for.

• Like 1

Not a relative per se, but my close family friend died earlier this week at 103.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, polar duck said:

Not a relative per se, but my close family friend died earlier this week at 103.

Deepest sympathy’s. That’s a good innings. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, polar duck said:

My condolences on the loss of this friend

As I have alluded to before I have worked in care.I worked in a care home for 5 years and left less than 2 months ago.We had a lady who had lived with us for 23 years.She used to get up at 5:30 am then complain about it but woe betide you if you altered her schedule.Heard this evening she died last night aged 98 and given the fact she lost a lung to TB as a child had a horrendous spinal condition from birth and had a pre existing heart condition her longevity was a miracle.She had a tongue as sharp as they come albeit vicious at times and used to take up all my time on my 12 hour nightshifts more often than not.Saw her more than all but the closest of family for 5 years.Dementia cruelly took away so much but her spirit towards the end but that indomitable spirit  was never broken.She was the Queen mother of our care home.Her kindness and empathy meant she always made you feel like family but she had the difficult maddening stubbornness meaning that she was fundamentally flawed which made her feel even more like family. She used to hand me sweets and offer me all her food for the week and got offended when I always inevitably declined.Another carer stole from her before I started and she stated " why didn't she just ask I would have given her the clothes off my back if she needed would have handed her my purse..but she stole off me" . A woman who walked until she was 92 who as a small child was told she would never walk.A complex lady who was an integral part of my life and less consequentially livelihood for 5 years.This one hits hard and all of us who knew her are feeling it.Hoping she is with her twin sister .her husband and many jack Russells in the sky right now. ♥️

• Like 13

She had a Death List type sense of humour.Her room was next to the so called cursed room where 7 men died in 5 years and she informed the man who moved in there of that fact when he moved in.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Nice tribute, @Sean. Character-wise she reminds me of my great-aunt. Very few people are more enjoyable company than a no-fucks-given matriarch with a big heart.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TQR said:

Nice tribute, @Sean. Character-wise she reminds me of my great-aunt. Very few people are more enjoyable company than a no-fucks-given matriarch with a big heart.

Yeah can see her strolling up to my office to smash her fist against the glass over something minor.When I next visit the home to see the staff and residents I will be sure to anticipate her wheeling herself to the nearest corner.I can still her in the distance.A mixture of self righteous anger and the longing for attention that we at the home where all so willing to give her.

Will pull some strings so I can try and get to the funeral.To say I lost a good friend doesn't seem a stretch at all.

Also humorously when we were in Covid lockdowns we all thought of her as to why we were all obeying the rules.Then she got covid and was so well she voted with her wheelchair to bypass isolation.Had a snotty nose and that was it.

1 hour ago, TQR said:

There is nothing better in my opinion and she was the archetype of that type of lady.Heart of gold but mouth as sharp as a sharpened  Swiss army knife .An insult was an honour and a compliment was the biggest  and most genuine of compliments.

I remember when I was off on leave and came back and came to wake her up at 05:30 and she said my name then winked, smiled and said "good to have you back".Considering she would tell me over and over again when I started " you know fucking nothimg" that was the ultimate compliment.A young girl who started the other week as I was  leaving asked for advice and I simply said get to know " name redacted" and don't piss her off and you will go far.

• Like 1

My great grandfather died on Christmas Day. He was 98 years old. He was a very religious man so its ironic he died on Jesus's birthday. He's been wanting to go for a while, everyone is glad he's not in any discomfort anymore.

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

My godmother, Evangeline passed away today, I'm so sad. She was in her 70. RIP

• Sad 12

Many condolences @Gisooo, so sorry to hear of your loss.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gisooo said:

My condolences, what happened is very sad, may you and your family find comfort in some way during this difficult time.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Gisooo said:

I don't know what to say. I'm thinking of your family during this difficult time.

My heartfelt condolences for your loss, @Gisooo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Gisooo said:

So sorry to hear this. 

• Thanks 1

Very sorry to hear about grandma, @Gisooo.  

On 30/12/2023 at 19:51, The Great Cornholio said:

My great grandfather died on Christmas Day. He was 98 years old. He was a very religious man so it’s ironic he died on Jesus's birthday. He's been wanting to go for a while, everyone is glad he's not in any discomfort anymore.

I just caught up with your post, and I’m sure he was glad to meet Jesus on the day we celebrate him.  Most of us don’t meet our great grandparents, so I’m sure you’ll treasure the memories.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Very sorry to hear about grandma, @Gisooo.  

Thanks, but it was my godmother, not grandma

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

14 hours ago, Gisooo said:

Thanks, but it was my godmother, not grandma

Apologies, quick reading to blame. Sentiment remains.

• Like 1

My father in law has died. He turned 85 a few months ago and died this morning suddenly. He did not suffer.

• Sad 18

5 minutes ago, drol said:

My father in law has died. He turned 85 a few months ago and died this morning suddenly. He did not suffer.

Please accept my deepest condolences @drol reassuring at least for you and your family that he did not suffer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Condolences. Sudden deaths like this are, I think, the way we all hope to go, but it's always harder for family and friends when death comes out of the blue.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1