Magere Hein

Death In The Family

32 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

I have no grandparents left now.

The final two were married for 63 years and only spent 6 weeks apart.

They went the 'ideal' way. Outlived all of their many children, watched them grow up and some retire. Hell, my grandad was 6'2" at 93 and had a full head of hair the last time I saw him at my gran's funeral. He got up to make himself a cup of tea this morning, and now he's dead. Not bad.

They were some of the loveliest people you could ever wish to meet, and I'm not saying that because they were old and cute. Some elderly people are complete cunts. My gran had such a warm aura. She famously never locked the door unless she was out or asleep (I guess it's safe to reveal this now!). I definitely took advantage of this, living round the corner. Any time I was considering dropping out or just generally nihilistic, I knew she would be there. I knew that she would have a cuppa and a homemade bun at the ready, and that she would get it.

My grandad was a right jokester. It was incredible how he could reliably troll my gran after so many years of being inseparable. And he lived like every day was his last, even if it meant some of his antics scared us (climbing on the roof?!?!). They never had much money but they were rich in more important ways, so to speak.

My gran's funeral was attended by at least 250 people. It was incredible how many people in the chapel were greeting uncontrollably, over a wee old lady you would never have suspected touched so many lives. Also, the reception was a complete blast and we all got steaming. Don't know if I'm ready for my grandad's. I have no doubt he will also get the send-off he deserves.

Condolences Clorox! Looks like you had a great relationship with your grandparents, they both sound lovely. Times when we lose loved ones are always hard, especially when you had a special connection to them. Growing up and reaching adulthood you often realise how your elderly family members won't be around forever, but it's always a sad day when the inevitable happens. The double loss in a short time must be hard for you, but it is nice they did not have to be seperated for long after 63 years of marriage.

Since grieving is a very personal thing I won't make assumptions, but it sounds like you and your loved ones have lots of wonderful and funny memories of your grandparents which you can prosper and keep with you, share with each other, sometimes laugh, sometimes cry about. It must've also been a comfort to see how beloved your gran was and how much of an impact she made on others during her life.

Best wishes for you and your family in the coming days, during the funeral and the time thereafter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Awesome tribute @Clorox Bleachman, sounds like you’ll have plenty of fond memories of a pair of equally awesome people. All the best.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My brother-in-law has been battling some late stage rare cancer for a year or so, and was given about 10 days to live a couple days ago.

• Sad 8

I wasn't family, but I lost a childhood friend today, in a traffic accident, we lived on the same street as children, when I moved my cousin moved to the same house I lived in, and he became friends with him too, and at parties we we still found, his wife is in serious condition, and his children were in the car too, 2 and 4 years old, both were not seriously injured

• Sad 9

A couple of people I know online have lost people this Christmas. One’s husband died on Christmas Day after an illness and another lost their mum yesterday after an illness as well.

• Sad 4

Just to update: My brother-in-law died this morning, 

Memento Mori. 
SCl

• Sad 12

3 minutes ago, Sir Cunto said:

Just to update: My brother-in-law died this morning, 

Memento Mori. 
SCl

Sorry for your loss. Best wishes for you and your family!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The husband of one of my mom's cousins died suddenly of a heart attack. Devastated beyond words, he was a very funny man with a great music taste, will miss him dearly.

• Sad 5

Just wanted to thank those playing along on the '80s UK no.1s thread. It's been a source of entertainment and distraction at a very difficult time. My father-in-law died on the 5th, after getting ill just after Christmas and being hospitalised on the 2nd. Flu and strep A. Very much an unexpected death, as he was strong as an ox. He was also more of a father to me than my biological one, so it's a heavy personal blow. The funeral is tomorrow, so I might not be around to deduct points from Phil Collins et al!

• Like 4
  • Sad 12

55 minutes ago, prussianblue said:

Just wanted to thank those playing along on the '80s UK no.1s thread. It's been a source of entertainment and distraction at a very difficult time. My father-in-law died on the 5th, after getting ill just after Christmas and being hospitalised on the 2nd. Flu and strep A. Very much an unexpected death, as he was strong as an ox. He was also more of a father to me than my biological one, so it's a heavy personal blow. The funeral is tomorrow, so I might not be around to deduct points from Phil Collins et al!

Thoughts with you and your loved ones. Hold them close.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prussianblue said:

Glad it’s been a welcome distraction! Hope all goes well tomorrow. Take it easy.

• Like 1

My uncle (mother bro) died last night at 70 from liver cirrhosis. I'm really sad. Two years ago I lost my grandma at 88 and now her eldest son is gone. RIP both my angels!!!

• Sad 14

Sorry to hear this Gisooo.Thinking of you and your family.

• Thanks 1

My dear aunt Nadine passed away peacefully this morning, aged 70. She had been battling stage IV cancer for seven years now. RIP. :(

• Sad 17

8 minutes ago, The Unknown Man said:

My dear aunt Nadine passed away peacefully this morning, aged 70. She had been battling stage IV cancer for seven years now. RIP. :(

Please accept my sincerest condolences, my your dear aunt RIP. Stay strong The Unknown Man, Steve 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, The Unknown Man said:

Sorry to hear that, condolences for you and your family, stay strong together!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Unknown Man said:

My heartfelt thoughts with you and yours. 7 years with Stage IV, she must have been a fighter and the end was peaceful and hopefully pain free. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just back from my cousin's funeral.

Technically a friend of the family's son. Cancer. 8 months took him.

This was the first Orange funeral I have been to - it's quite the event.

• Sad 11

Not family but had some awful news yesterday evening.An old schoolfriend of mine died suddenly.I shouldn't be sad about it as we hadn't talked in 5 years in fact I went back to check on messenger and then read back all the messages going back many years which was a big mistake.She made a post a few weeks ago about feeling lonely and I was really busy but thought "oh yes I must get in touch with her it's been years.She was 25 and looks like a suicide and or possible drug overdose buy don't have all the details.She was 25 so younger than me but I remember we both exchanged phone numbers as you did in school in those days as everyone texted everyone in our school which was small and rural and we both struggled with mental health issues I remember vividly and were sort of a supportive voice for each other and had sort of an online pen pal communication for years after school. We weren't in the same social circle or have any big memories but just reading through the messages brought back a flood of memories some of which I had forgotten.

I am used to death and have experienced loss but this genuinely felt like a gut punch.We weren't even good friends by any stretch of the imagination hadn't seen her in years but damn this one really hurts. Guess it is the age and unexpected nature of it plus the emotional connection going back to childhood but yeah I'm surprised how much this one has upset me.

• Sad 21

@diego So sorry to hear about the death in your family. Please accept my sincerest condolences. 

• Thanks 1

My great Uncle just died aged 89 after a 6 months battle with brain tumor and metastasis. The awful part is that he was in a facility home which refused to give him any medication or morphin. It must have been so painful, I must say that’s a relief to know he’s no longer suffering. Can’t wait for euthanasia to be legalized in France, out last visit to him was heartbreaking, no one should suffer that much…

• Sad 12

35 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

My great Uncle just died aged 89 after a 6 months battle with brain tumor and metastasis. The awful part is that he was in a facility home which refused to give him any medication or morphin. It must have been so painful, I must say that’s a relief to know he’s no longer suffering. Can’t wait for euthanasia to be legalized in France, out last visit to him was heartbreaking, no one should suffer that much…

So sorry to hear of your loss Lafaucheuse.Definitely report the home for not giving morphine to him though.To let someone die in agony and distress when there are drugs available to help is ethically indefensible on their part.Shocking lack of the basic principles of palliative care.So sorry you as a family and he had to endure that. Indefensible neglect on the part of the home.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Sean said:

So sorry to hear of your loss Lafaucheuse.Definitely report the home for not giving morphine to him though.To let someone die in agony and distress when there are drugs available to help is ethically indefensible on their part.Shocking lack of the basic principles of palliative care.So sorry you as a family and he had to endure that. Indefensible neglect on the part of the home.

Thanks Sean !

we’ll do. My mother, aunt and my grandfather (his brother, 84 yo this year) are already in talk with some Kind of consumer association. Apparently it’s not the first Time that this happens at that home so we’ll see… awful really…

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Thanks Sean !

we’ll do. My mother, aunt and my grandfather (his brother, 84 yo this year) are already in talk with some Kind of consumer association. Apparently it’s not the first Time that this happens at that home so we’ll see… awful really…

Its criminal quite frankly keep fighting.

Found out today my friend who died did in fact commit suicide but extreme drug use was an underlying factor.Dont, think it makes it easier or harder just emphasises the immense sadness. She was only 25 but had royal accolades for her work which I remembered over the last few days.I also have had a close friend (aged 27) confess to me yet again that she is suicidal and she has given me instructions for what to do should the worst happen.Not a conversation I needed as selfish as awful as that sounds. Plus my mother keeps showing signs of suicidal intent. As someone with severe mental health issues, this is just exhausting me. Not looking for sympathy on here but just need to get it off my chest as it is just horrendous. I am under a lot of personal stress in terms of starting a new job and looking for a new house and all of this is really getting to me.

Just so much darkness at once on top of existing stress.Am getting drunk tonight as well although I will pay for it in the morning it seems logical right now.

• Sad 5