Magere Hein

Death In The Family

Do you have all your grandparents or parents alive or you've already lost some ones ?

Personaly, I have both my parents alive, but I lost 2 out of my 4 grandparents (my paternal grandmother in October 2019, caused by an hospital operation on her back which bad resulted, we don't know if it was a medical error by the doctors but the last ones said that the operation was risky as it could have impacted the head and the nervous system into the skull, and that's what happened. One the day after the operation, my grandma was found brain dead by the doctors. She couldn't support the operation and that was the end for her, she was 79 years old. In January 2021, I lost my maternal grandfather aged 83, but he died of old age, his health deteriorated quickly between 2019 until his death and it was painful to see him in 2020). Both my paternal grandfather and my maternal grandmother were 80 years old when they became widowed.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, La Tombe said:

Do you have all your grands parents or parents alive or you've already lost some ones ?

Grandparents died at 55, 68, 69 and 100.

Parents died at 47 and 64.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Toast said:

Grandparents died at 55, 68, 69 and 100.

Parents died at 47 and 64.

I'm so sorry for your losses!

I hope you feel better now, even though it's hard to get over the pain, especially when it happened recently.

10 hours ago, La Tombe said:

Do you have all your grands parents or parents alive or you've already lost some ones ?

My father is 57 and my mother is 54

I lost both my grandfathers. My maternal died in 1970 when my mother was only 1 year old, she cannot remember him.

His wife my grandmother died in Feb 2018 at 88, she never married again and they had 7 children (their oldest son, my uncle died this January at 70) I have two uncles now 64 and 62 and three aunts 67, 60 and 57

My paternal grandfather died in Feb 2003 at 70 when I was 6 month, two days after my grandpa deaths, my oldest uncle (father bro) died at 45 following his father and my grandad.

In December 2012 two days before the New Year 2013, my father lost another brother at 43, I losted two uncles

My paternal grandma is still alive at 83, her life has been an affliction. Now I have only one uncle (48) and two aunts 60 and 62.

27 minutes ago, Gisooo said:

I'm so sorry for your losses!

I hope you feel better now, even though it's hard to get over the pain, especially when it happened recently.

Thanks, but the last of them died 28 years ago.

Grandparents all gone. Last was my paternal grandma who died when I was close to 22. My paternal grandparents lived to their 80s, my maternal grandparents I didn't know very well and neither lived to a particularly old age.

Hopefully won't have to worry about my parents anytime soon!

My paternal grandmother had been suffering from dementia for years but eventually passed away suddenly from cardiac arrest aged 83. It was quite a traumatic event for me as a child, as it happened during a (festive) family gathering. My grandfathers passed away aged 84 and 86, both of them had been in declining health in the months before.

My maternal grandmother is still alive, aged 91. Diagnosed with alzheimer's six years ago and lives in a retirement home since. She mostly talks about her youth nowadays, but recognizes her family members most days and hasn't really declined massively in the last couple of years. She used to be my youngest grandparent but is now the oldest agewise.

Both my parents are alive, aged 60 and 58. Although they don't have real health problems as of yet, my mother is a long-time smoker so I'm not sure she'll live to such a great age as her parents.

All my grandparents are gone, as mentioned in this thread, but I knew them all. My great-grandparents were all born in Victorian times. My parents are 60 and 56. Both currently alive and well, but I'll be damned if Clorox Sr didn't scare us. We owe everything to the world-class doctors and nurses at the QEUH who babysat him for 10 weeks.

14 hours ago, La Tombe said:

Both parents still alive in their late 50s

Paternal grandfather died in 2020 aged 89, paternal grandmother is 94 in November.

Maternal grandparents I think are still alive but due to family stuff ties were cut over 10 years ago, so they may as well be dead.

I never knew my Maternal Grandfather as he died not long after my Mum was born. By the age of 13 I had no grandparent's left alive as I am the youngest of my generation on my Mum's side and the youngest but one on my Dad's. 

My Dad lived until he was 90 and now there is only one of his generation left in the family - my Mum's brother who has just turned 96 but is still active and articulate.

Unfortunately my eldest cousin on my Mum's side is already dead from a brain hemorrhage

I am currently 53.

I've still got my paternal nan. She's 75, she kicked lymphoma's arse a few years ago and nowadays I'd struggle to keep up with her. She's awesome.

Think my paternal grandfather is still clinging on to life but last I heard it's only a matter of time. Riddance; he's an utter waste of blood and organs.

Mum & Dad both 52 and fine. Mum's parents died at 70 (leukaemia) and 80.

I'm 28 years old and my parents had me when they were very young, so they have only just reached their 50s. My paternal grandparents are both in their 80s and recently celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary and are still going strong the both of them.

My maternal grandmother and grandfather on the other hand didn't have things work out in their relationship and they ended up having a divorce. My grandmother remarried, but she and my grandfather remained on good terms until his death from bladder cancer 12 years ago. Unfortunately her husband was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease recently and is wheelchair bound now.

18 hours ago, La Tombe said:

Do you have all your grandparents or parents alive or you've already lost some ones ?

My maternal grandmother died before I was born. My maternal grandfather died when I was 5 and my paternal grandfather died when I was 6. 

My paternal grandmother died when I was 15 or 16 and I only met her once when I was around 5 or 6. My mother is in her mid 50's and my father is in his middle 60's. They both have a ton of health issues...My stepmother is also nearing hospice in her mid 50's.

I think my fascination with death partly comes from how alone I am + how much death I've dealt with. 

• Like 2

I only met my paternal grandmother, she's still alive, but my dad thinks she's nearing the end of her life. He told me that she's looking sickly, haven't seen her in a while so I'll try to spend more time with her.

All of my other grandparents died before I was born, 2 to cancer and 1 committed suicide. They weren't that old either, life is just like that sometimes.

My paternal grandfather was dead 2 years ‘ere I was born.  My maternal grandfather when I was 3, so I didn’t know either of them.  OTOH my father had his real parents, his aunt/uncle who raised him, and the new spouses of both his real mother and father, so it was cool having 4 sets of grandparents (yes wee SirC called each of them grandpa/grandma when he visited).

On 21/08/2023 at 00:53, La Tombe said:

Personaly, I have both my parents alive, but I lost 2 out of my 4 grandparents (my paternal grandmother in October 2019, caused by an hospital operation on her back which bad resulted, we don't know if it was a medical error by the doctors but the last ones said that the operation was risky as it could have impacted the head and the nervous system into the skull, and that's what happened. One the day after the operation, my grandma was found brain dead by the doctors. She couldn't support the operation and that was the end for her, she was 79 years old. In January 2021, I lost my maternal grandfather aged 83, but he died of old age, his health deteriorated quickly between 2019 until his death and it was painful to see him in 2020). Both my paternal grandfather and my maternal grandmother were 80 years old when they became widowed.

Parents both alive.My mother is 65 and my Dad is 69.Both have serious health issues but are independent.

Maternal Grandmother died in 2013 aged 85

Maternal Granfather died in 2014 aged 92 ( Referenced in this thread at the time )

Paternal Grandmother died in 2014 aged 91

Paternal Grandfather died in 1972 aged 56

Paternal grandparents both died 2 years before I was born

Maternal grandparents died at 82 and 90.

My Mum is still with us at 91, my Dad has been dead for 10 years.

My great grandma (Mum's maternal grandmother) lived to be 101, which was pretty impressive for someone born in 1881 who had to bring up 10 children without child benefit etc.

All of which makes me older than most of you :-)

• Like 1

Grandparents died at ages 60, 65, 65 and 84. Born in the 1880s & 1890s.

Parents died at ages 80 & 94. Both born in the 1920s. 

On 20/08/2023 at 18:53, La Tombe said:

I had all my grandparents alive at the time of this post. Not anymore though. Just lost one of my grandfathers at 81. But he lived a good life 

• Like 1
  • Sad 15

5 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I had all my grandparents alive at the time of this post. Not anymore though. Just lost one of my grandfathers at 81. But he lived a good life 

Thoughts with you and your folks. I'm sure he had a life to be celebrated. So do that. 

Both of my parents are still alive both mid 50’s

1/4 of my grandparents are still alive 

Mom Side: Adoptive Mother (81) (Alive) Adoptive Father (81) (Dead)

Dad Side: Father (83) (Dead) Mother (47) (Dead) 

My Great-Grandmother Lived to 96, escaped death many times but the sad part is that she died on my grandfathers birthday in 2015.

Im Currently 18.

Edited by Insane

8 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I'm so sorry to hear that, hope you and yours are all good. As you recognise, you can take much comfort in him having a good life.

14 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Sorry to hear this Joey. My best wishes.

It's always felt one of the unfair bits of life that many of us have such close relationships with our grandfathers from early age only for them to be around only a small bit of our lifetimes. Both of mine are long gone but remain influences on my life to this day. 

• Like 1

Condolences, Joey.

39 minutes ago, msc said:

It's always felt one of the unfair bits of life that many of us have such close relationships with our grandfathers from early age only for them to be around only a small bit of our lifetimes. Both of mine are long gone but remain influences on my life to this day.

My regret is that I never knew my paternal grandfather who died in his 50s, some 20 years before I was born.  Everything I have discovered about him convinces me that he was a splendid fellow and that we would have got on very well.  My grandmother, his wife, was a horrible old narcissist who went on to live to be 100.  Life just isn't fair sometimes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Toast said:

Condolences, Joey.

My regret is that I never knew my paternal grandfather who died in his 50s, some 20 years before I was born.  Everything I have discovered about him convinces me that he was a splendid fellow and that we would have got on very well.  My grandmother, his wife, was a horrible old narcissist who went on to live to be 100.  Life just isn't fair sometimes.

Same with my paternal gran. Everyone tells me we'd have got on like a house on fire and she sounded amazing. She died two years before I was born so we never met.

I managed to mostly avoid gobshite relatives but alas Mrs MSc wasn't so lucky with her paternal grandad who is a Boris Johnson level cunt we don't speak to.