Sir Creep

The dead of 2016

None of those are real misses: 2 were private about their ill health, and the third wasn't famous enough for the list.

Look, the DDP lasts a whole year, you know. Don't get all your hits in two weeks!

(rant over)

Times like these make me extra appreciative of your efforts in running the DDP in terms of the sheer amount of folk that are carking it. Even if we only talk in terms of more competitive teams, it still seems like there's a new hit every day or two!

Dan Haggerty.. wasn't he the lanky bug-eyed chap from '70s doo-wop pop group 'Darts' ?

Well, I'm wondering about the Deathlist committee myself now; David Bowie, Alan Rickman, and now Dan Haggerty, 3 oversights, it would seem. Haggerty is probably the least well-known of these by some distance, although he gained lasting fame from The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams TV series (1977 - 1978) with two more films in the early 1980's, one of which concluded the series' story-line about Adams being wanted for a murder he didn't commit. The real-life "Grizzly" Adams was James Adams in the 19th century who was an animal trainer, and mountain man who did have several grizzly bears as pets. He died in fact, from after-effects several years later) of wounds the actual Ben the bear's mother inflicted upon him. He never seems to have been wanted for murder in reality, though.

Haggerty continued acting to the end with three more films in post-production at the time of his death.

To quote an old saying "hindsight is 20-20". Sure it looks obvious now that the three you mention are dead ringers, but it was not all that obvious last month. Can you show me a pool or a team that you submitted with all three on it? If not, you're much like the committee and the rest of us.

• Like 1

Dan Haggerty.. wasn't he the lanky bug-eyed chap from '70s doo-wop pop group 'Darts' ?

nah that was Den Hegarty

nah that was Den Hegarty, he lived round the corner from me. I took over his son Jack's newspaper round.

How many years is it now on that round Phantom, and does it help with obit spotting?

• Like 1

Well, I'm wondering about the Deathlist committee myself now; David Bowie, Alan Rickman, and now Dan Haggerty, 3 oversights, it would seem. Haggerty is probably the least well-known of these by some distance, although he gained lasting fame from The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams TV series (1977 - 1978) with two more films in the early 1980's, one of which concluded the series' story-line about Adams being wanted for a murder he didn't commit. The real-life "Grizzly" Adams was James Adams in the 19th century who was an animal trainer, and mountain man who did have several grizzly bears as pets. He died in fact, from after-effects several years later) of wounds the actual Ben the bear's mother inflicted upon him. He never seems to have been wanted for murder in reality, though.

Haggerty continued acting to the end with three more films in post-production at the time of his death.

To quote an old saying "hindsight is 20-20". Sure it looks obvious now that the three you mention are dead ringers, but it was not all that obvious last month. Can you show me a pool or a team that you submitted with all three on it? If not, you're much like the committee and the rest of us.

The only one I can say so far that the commitee missed would be Rene Angelil, then again I'm kicking myself for omitting him from my theme team. I had him as a sub, but forgot to promote him to the first team before submitting it.

nah that was Den Hegarty, he lived round the corner from me. I took over his son Jack's newspaper round.

How many years is it now on that round Phantom, and does it help with obit spotting?

that was about 30 years ago. I no longer live in the same area, let alone the same country.

None of those are real misses: 2 were private about their ill health, and the third wasn't famous enough for the list.

Grizzly Adams is way more famous than some Canadian tart's manager.

• Like 1

nah that was Den Hegarty

Saw The Darts way back in the day. Hegarty was a nutter. (In the best possible way)

• Like 1

That may be so, but in Deathlist terms, some Canadian tart's manager was way more on the radar and talked about than Grizzly Adams.

• Like 1

that was about 30 years ago. I no longer live in the same area, let alone the same country.

But don't let that stop me lecturing me on how to feel about your country or the people in it :)

That may be so, but in Deathlist terms, some Canadian tart's manager was way more on the radar and talked about than Grizzly Adams.

Precisely. We are talking the accusation that it's a DL 'miss'.

The only one I can say so far that the commitee missed would be Rene Angelil, then again I'm kicking myself for omitting him from my theme team. I had him as a sub, but forgot to promote him to the first team before submitting it.

He was my DDP Joker.

Dan Haggerty could indeed be a small miss. He was an unusual character (I guess) and his cancer was known. For some reason, I completely left him off my teams, even though I had a "pick every name only once" policy. It could be there was a time when things were looking better, but then I missed when they got worse. The committee as well?

Precisely. We are talking the accusation that it's a DL 'miss'.

Having watched the DL's picks for some years now, I've noticed that they have a high standard for "celebrity". No famous for being old or sick people. No "Canadian tart's managers". All people you would know about on one side of the pond or the other. Although I would put some of those people on my team(s), I respect the fact that the committee has a sense of "class". Just what you'd expect from the British eh what?

• Like 3

He was my DDP Joker.

I have Feek as mine, what with her being 30 years younger, she gets more points. If Angélil held on until today you would have got even more points

• Like 1

He was my DDP Joker.

I have Feek as mine, what with her being 30 years younger, she gets more points. If Angélil held on until today you would have got even more points

I was afraid that Feek might not get the required obit. I've been burned by that in the past.

He was my DDP Joker.

I was afraid that Feek might not get the required obit. I've been burned by that in the past.

Daily Mail usually deliver

Not with the sob story--she will be the lead story unless the Queen herself dies.

Question isnt if but what page the obit will be

SC

He was my DDP Joker.

In 2014 I didn't get an obit for Jim Bamber. I thought he was a shoo-in since he was British but no soap.

He was my DDP Joker.

In 2014 I didn't get an obit for Jim Bamber. I thought he was a shoo-in since he was British but no soap.

I had him on my list too, I figured that if Lauren Hill could get one, then so would Feek. Although Peter Arundel didn't get an obit, despite being named in a couple earlier that month.

• Like 1

George Weidenfeld, publisher of Weidenfeld and Nicholson, dead at 96. http://www.thebookseller.com/news/lord-weidenfeld-dies-320753

One DDP team awaits obit, won't be long to be published I'm sure.

Edit: Independent: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/lord-weidenfeld-dies-publisher-and-philanthropist-passes-away-aged-96-a6822476.html

• Like 1

George Weidenfeld, publisher of Weidenfeld and Nicholson, dead at 96. http://www.thebookseller.com/news/lord-weidenfeld-dies-320753

One DDP team awaits obit, won't be long to be published I'm sure.

Edit: Independent: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/lord-weidenfeld-dies-publisher-and-philanthropist-passes-away-aged-96-a6822476.html

Second hit (and a unique one) for my Unusual Suspects team. Duncan Norvelle beware.

• Like 2