One week until nominations close, this is how many parliamentary candidates have been selected (exc 18 seats in NI):

LAB: 627

GRN: 573

LDM: 530

REF: 470

CON: 448

WPB: 173

SDP: 125

IND: 99

SNP: 57 (of 57)

PC: 28 (of 32)

Tory MP for Newcastle Under - Lyme standing down - another wave of Tory standing down coming? 

6 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Tory MP for Newcastle Under - Lyme standing down - another wave of Tory standing down coming? 

Pity, I rather liked him. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c844pqyld84o

His barely contained fury at Johnson for partying while his grandmother was dying was something to behold.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, msc said:

If I've been following Toast's posts correctly, she's not just looking forward, she's got a brand new pair of boots for the kicking. :D

dfnkkury72151.jpg?auto=webp&s=1070c315541854b0b029ac87e4dfcb3a94b6bd76

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

19 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

No idea, but on Newscast last night, they were discussing the defection of Mark whatshisname from Bolton and talking about how quiet and polished it was, perfectly choreographed by Labour. They were musing whether Labour have a few more of these in the drawer for when they need to be unveiled, as nobody has had a clue about Elphicke or Logan(?) until they've been announced. No rumours mentioned and they said it's not expected but it wouldn't surprise them based on what's gone before.

23 minutes ago, TQR said:

One week until nominations close, this is how many parliamentary candidates have been selected (exc 18 seats in NI):

LAB: 627

GRN: 573

LDM: 530

REF: 470

CON: 448

WPB: 173

SDP: 125

IND: 99

SNP: 57 (of 57)

PC: 28 (of 32)

That's bonkers. And Tories are still stepping down - 200 candidates to find in a week, good luck in not getting some raving loonies, Rishi!

1 minute ago, RoverAndOut said:

That's bonkers. And Tories are still stepping down - 200 candidates to find in a week, good luck in not getting some raving loonies, Rishi!

I think Howling Laud Hope is too busy running Ed Davey’s campaign!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

No idea, but on Newscast last night, they were discussing the defection of Mark whatshisname from Bolton and talking about how quiet and polished it was, perfectly choreographed by Labour. They were musing whether Labour have a few more of these in the drawer for when they need to be unveiled, as nobody has had a clue about Elphicke or Logan(?) until they've been announced. No rumours mentioned and they said it's not expected but it wouldn't surprise them based on what's gone before.

I'm not sure the Logan thing was a defection in the crossing the floor sense. The guy said he was putting in an application to join Labour that day, so  it sounded more like he's trying to join as a normal member. (Which would be problematic for him, given the whole "don't stand for another party for five years before" rule, I'm not this nobody is worth bending that one.)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, msc said:

I'm not sure the Logan thing was a defection in the crossing the floor sense. The guy said he was putting in an application to join Labour that day, so  it sounded more like he's trying to join as a normal member. (Which would be problematic for him, given the whole "don't stand for another party for five years before" rule, I'm not this nobody is worth bending that one.)

Oh I think Labour would bend it. His views are more Labour than Elphicke’s are. Several others who stood against Labour in 2019 are now in / back in the party. 

16 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Seriously, an unseamly scramble for bodies in what were winnable seats five years back would be a terrible look at this stage, giving Rishi some hard questions about whether he knew wtf he was doing running the election past eight close cabinet members and then going public, not to mention it making The Conservative Party look like a sinking ship. 

When you think where their fortunes were five years back...Interesting times for sure!

• Like 1

If my dad’s reaction is anything to go by then the Tories will be absolutely delighted Keir Starmer has allowed Diane Abbott to stand again. It will be mentioned every day until election day by them. 

15 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

If my dad’s reaction is anything to go by then the Tories will be absolutely delighted Keir Starmer has allowed Diane Abbott to stand again. It will be mentioned every day until election day by them. 

I think they will need to be careful in using Diane Abbott as negative as they took £10 Million from someone who said she made him hate all black women and that she should be shot

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

If my dad’s reaction is anything to go by 

At this point, I am absolutely convinced that you are just trolling. In which case, I tip my hat to you. Nice work. :hatsoff:

51 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

If my dad’s reaction is anything to go by

He's got shit for brains.

In fact, why the fuck am I even responding? I only saw this cos AFB quoted it.

1 hour ago, Toast said:

dfnkkury72151.jpg?auto=webp&s=1070c315541854b0b029ac87e4dfcb3a94b6bd76

How could someone design a shoe/boot like that and not have an actual stiletto as the heel?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msc said:

It wasn't a direct defection in the sense of Elphicke. He actually seems to have been quite honourable about it, stating that he didn't feel right about betraying his constituents and crossing the floor. Instead, he waited until Parliament formally dissolved, he was no longer a candidate and then announced he would be supporting the Labour candidate at the next election. Which is fair enough, everyone's entitled to an opinion and a change of heart - if nobody has a change of heart, then Rishi ends up with a massive majority again! I suppose the question is whether more Tories will step down/former Tories will endorse Starmer. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I think they will need to be careful in using Diane Abbott as negative as they took £10 Million from someone who said she made him hate all black women and that she should be shot

The Tories are now shameless they won’t care about that. 

2 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

The Tories are now shameless they won’t care about that. 

They might if their own research suggests it's one reason they can't get above the low 20s in polling

• Like 2

So easy to absolutely rinse this poor fucker.

1574283821_Image31-05-2024at16_39.thumb.jpeg.65a10c61f3ca0b9f30f5037bd9771411.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

A policy pledge to shoot Diane Abbott would probably be a vote-winner.

• Facepalm 3

6 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

I'm not saying it's going to happen, but if they can pick up another 7 points (getting to 30%), and Labour were to drop into the high 30s, then the majority could shrink. But, I'm not sure what needs to change for the outcome to be different. Currently, Electoral Calculus is predicting a Labour majority of 300, and less than 100 Tory MPs, which is surely complete nonsense? But change the scores so the Tories are on 30%, Labour on 39%, Reform down to 8% (Tories have already eaten into their total a bit, let's say that continues as we close in on election day), Greens up to 8% (predicted around 6%, let's say they pick up a few more votes from disaffected Labour voters on the left) and leave the Lib Dems as is (around 9%) and Labour would still end up with a majority of 100. Although we'd still have more than 200 Tory MPs in that scenario. But, so far, the dials aren't changing significantly.

• Like 2

Still think  a best case scenario at this stage for the Tories is a repeat of 1997

Worst case is 1997 on steroids

• Like 2