RadGuy

Ideas And Possibilities For 2017

A while back, I came across a BBC article from 27 May 2016 about British actress Margaret Barton (27 May 1926). Those of you who have seen David Lean's 1945 classic film A Brief Encounter probably recognize her as the tea room waitress Beryl. Turns out, she is still alive at the age of 90. As acknowledged by herself ("I was never a film star"), she has rarely, if ever, been mentioned in these boards before.

Considering that BBC is aware of her, it's more than likely that she will be obitable when her time has come. Note that according to Wikipedia, her husband died earlier this year, and you never know how a widow(er) will cope with a major loss. Other than that, she is fairly active nowadays, having opened a tea room in Dorset.

• Like 1

The Greek actress and singer Irene Papas (born 3 September 1926) of Zorba the Greek fame has dementia since several years back. The now 89-year old star would be worth a "mere" 5 points in the 2017 edition of the DDP. On the bright side, she is definitely obitable and might even be a unique pick seeing that no one picked her for this year's competition. Obviously, that might change after this post, lol...

http://www.nocomments.gr/news/politismos/81494/oi-dyskoles-ores-tis-axeperastis-eirinis-pappa

The Greek actress and singer Irene Papas (born 3 September 1926) of Zorba the Greek fame has dementia since several years back. The now 89-year old star would be worth a "mere" 5 points in the 2017 edition of the DDP. On the bright side, she is definitely obitable and might even be a unique pick seeing that no one picked her for this year's competition. Obviously, that might change after this post, lol...

http://www.nocomments.gr/news/politismos/81494/oi-dyskoles-ores-tis-axeperastis-eirinis-pappa

Also in The Guns of Navarone so definitely obitable.

Also in The Guns of Navarone so definitely obitable.

She's all over Death List this year for months.....she's on my backup list for 2017 since March but she won't see September....btw to make it all in one post, Lucille Dumont (1919) could be added if someone is interested. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucille_Dumont

A while back, I came across a BBC article from 27 May 2016 about British actress Margaret Barton (27 May 1926). Those of you who have seen David Lean's 1945 classic film A Brief Encounter probably recognize her as the tea room waitress Beryl. Turns out, she is still alive at the age of 90. As acknowledged by herself ("I was never a film star"), she has rarely, if ever, been mentioned in these boards before.

Considering that BBC is aware of her, it's more than likely that she will be obitable when her time has come. Note that according to Wikipedia, her husband died earlier this year, and you never know how a widow(er) will cope with a major loss. Other than that, she is fairly active nowadays, having opened a tea room in Dorset.

Aye, good spot, thanks. Apart from owt else the acting the waitress to opening a tea shop gives it the kind of twist that makes a good story on a slow news day. Now we wait until she finally crumbles like one of her scones and the post Brexit holocaust slows down to the point the news has space for actress deaths.

Bill Cardille, who played a news reporter in both the original Night Of the Living Dead and the remake, has been been given a "very challenging liver cancer diagnosis". Guaranteed points for any dead pools with lenient obit requirements, probably not gonna make it to DDP status though.

• Like 1

Bill Cardille, who played a news reporter in both the original Night Of the Living Dead and the remake, has been been given a "very challenging liver cancer diagnosis". Guaranteed points for any dead pools with lenient obit requirements, probably not gonna make it to DDP status though.

great catch he has a Wikipedia page so he'd definitely qualify BTW what spade didn't mention is exactly how old he is, he is currently 87.

After the sad passing if Scotty Moore, I realized that drummer D.J. Fontana is still with us. Not sure on his health status though

After the sad passing if Scotty Moore, I realized that drummer D.J. Fontana is still with us. Not sure on his health status though

Hadn't seen that Scotty Moore had died. :(

Carl Reiner (b. 1922)

Neil Simon (b. 1927)

Mel Brooks (b. 1926)

Don Rickles (b. 1926)

Jerry Lewis (b. 1926)

Dick Van Dyke (b. 1925)

Jerry Van Dyke (b. 1931)

At least one of them will die before 2018 and I predict it will be..... Dick Van Dyke!

Carl Reiner (b. 1922)

Neil Simon (b. 1927)

Mel Brooks (b. 1926)

Don Rickles (b. 1926)

Jerry Lewis (b. 1926)

Dick Van Dyke (b. 1925)

Jerry Van Dyke (b. 1931)

At least one of them will die before 2018 and I predict it will be..... Dick Van Dyke!

Dick, Carl & Jerry (sounds like a 50's TV show) will go first :D who want's to bet?

Since the death of caroline aherne been looking at a few other of the cast members. I don't know if anyone suggested Sheridan smith she seems to be off the rails and could see her being a surprising death this or next year . Ricky tomlinson is someone who could honestly go at anytime if he died tomorrow of a heart attack or in 10 years I don't think either would be surprising . Liz smith she will out live them all ;)

Katherine Johnson, trail-blazing African-American mathematician at NASA:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katherine_Johnson

Turns 98 in August. There's going to be a movie about her and her already deceased comradettes:

http://www.salon.com/2016/07/02/monae_says_film_on_black_women_at_nasa_key_part_of_history/

Belatedly watching the Michael Grade documentary The Fight for Saturday Night (2014), about BBC and ITV's prime time battles. Reminds me that both Sir Paul Fox (b. 1925) and Michael Peacock (b. 1929) are still with us, though both looked lucid but aged back then.

• Like 1

Former Observer/Independent/New Statesman/etc journalist and editor Peter Wilby showed up on the Sunday Politics to discuss Corbyn. Sunken cheeks, croaky voice, and only 70.

Recently the wife of Arthur Hiller(b. 1923) the Director of Love Story died. They had been married since 1948 and had known each other since they were schoolchildren. Wouldn't be surprised if he went soon after.

Meanwhile, in South Africa, Judge Thokozile Masipa has just ensured that her chances of being assassinated by the angry public have increased.

I know it's the sentencing guidelines (or would be here and probably is in SA also) and that many of us think they are sometimes a bit odd or at the very least at variance with popular opinion. But how is it 5 years for manslaughter and yet only 6 for murder? Here murder is mandatory life afaik, only the minimum term can be changed by the judge.

I don't know anyone who thinks his tale had a shred of truth, he knew it was her and meant to kill her. But that's irrelevant now as he's been found guilty of her murder.

6 years? I really don't get it.

I know it's the sentencing guidelines (or would be here and probably is in SA also) and that many of us think they are sometimes a bit odd or at the very least at variance with popular opinion. But how is it 5 years for manslaughter and yet only 6 for murder? Here murder is mandatory life afaik, only the minimum term can be changed by the judge.

I don't know anyone who thinks his tale had a shred of truth, he knew it was her and meant to kill her. But that's irrelevant now as he's been found guilty of her murder.

Money talks.

Probably the most shocking thing is that there was a third person in the house that night, but someone ensured that he did not give evidence and he was only mentioned fleetingly in the trial.

Money talks.

Probably the most shocking thing is that there was a third person in the house that night, but someone ensured that he did not give evidence and he was only mentioned fleetingly in the trial.

Of this, there is no doubt. It's been like that since the start of this sick joke of a case. Nothing much in single person trials has reeked as badly judicially speaking since OJ. The desperate struggle for justice over Hillsborough is up there for this country in my view, but that's not a single person homicide trial.

Again afaik, in this country money might prevent you being found guilty when you are, the ability to buy better legal representation, knowing the system you are part of and so on, however it will not change the result once you are found guilty. For murder, it's life and that's that aside from the minimum recommendation.

All I can assume is that in SA this is not the case, the money continues to talk after the verdict.

Good spot and some lazy journalists obviously got it wrong by reporting that Scotty's death was the end of the original band.

Hadn't realised D J Fontana was still breathing.

Good spot and some lazy journalists obviously got it wrong by reporting that Scotty's death was the end of the original band.

Fontana wasn't really a member of the original band, he was brought in a little later. Bill Black and Scotty played on That's Alright Mama / Blue Moon of Kentucky, which was Elvis' first single, and they also backed Elvis at his first Louisiana Hayride shows. Once Elvis began playing more and more concerts, they needed a drummer to be able to keep the beat so the others could hear themselves over the hoards of screaming girls.

Just watching Blair on BBC news.Voice sounds quite croaky and strained..Also Hywel Williams Mp and Westminster leader of Plaid cymru sounded like Nick Robinson after his surgery when I saw him speaking in parliament earlier.He looks a lot older than 63 also.

Fontana wasn't really a member of the original band, he was brought in a little later. Bill Black and Scotty played on That's Alright Mama / Blue Moon of Kentucky, which was Elvis' first single, and they also backed Elvis at his first Louisiana Hayride shows. Once Elvis began playing more and more concerts, they needed a drummer to be able to keep the beat so the others could hear themselves over the hoards of screaming girls.

Yeah, but that quartet are regarded as the "band" on the basis they did the first proper touring, right. So DJ's passing will be significant to the point of obits in most dead pools for those who pick him.