Death Watch Beatle

Muhammad Ali

By the way, what exactly IS a Bufferfly????

A spelling mistake. Next question.

• Like 5

It's when your zip gets stuck and you're tugging it up for ages but nothing happens.

• Like 1

Youwanticewiththat came closest on the initial sweep with 30th May, ajlposh a close second with 11th June.

Ali's death is going to dominate the news for the next few days, he's one of the truly iconic figures of that era both because of his sporting achievements and his out of sport life. A truly historic death, probably the first of this magnitude since 2013.

• Like 2

When I woke up I was composing his DDP obit in my head, I knew he was gone...

RIP. I wished I was old enough to remember him when he was in his pomp... :rip:

For me Muhammad Ali was the first recognisable international sportsman.

After the Rumble In The Jungle, The Thrilla In Manila, The Drama In The Bahamas....

He's a Goner In Arizona.

• Like 3

When I woke up I was composing his DDP obit in my head, I knew he was gone...

RIP. I wished I was old enough to remember him when he was in his pomp... :rip:

Listened to r4's Front Row last night and they were speaking to a scriptwriter. At the end he said his next gig is 'thriller in manila' , and that Ang Lee is going to town with it.

4k, 120fps, 3D etc.

Should look stunning.

For me Muhammad Ali was the first recognisable international sportsman.

Palmer or Bradman , Shirley?

• Like 1

I have zero interest in boxing but Ali was bigger than the sport. Everybody knew his name - Michael Parkinson has just described him as a rock star.

Also he was voted Sports Personality of the Twentieth Century.

And who else could have done this?

Supes_Ali.jpg

• Like 1

R. I. P. Muhammad Ali you were one of the best champions of the world not just I'm the ring but real life the way you stood up to America's constipation is heroic. The world will not be the same without you.

• Like 1

Another 'cultural icon' gone in 2016...

Weird how he had all these views in the Sixties about the Nation of Islam and the need to separate black people from white people. Does any black person think like that now?

Floats like a butterfly, tenth hit for me!

By the way, what exactly IS a Bufferfly????

A butterfly with big tits

Shame to see him go, even if it was a greater surprise he lasted as long as he did. RIP to him.

Aye, same here.

Sad to see one of the legends go. RIP.

muhammad-ali.jpg

"See you on the plane..."

I would be great if he changed his name back to Cassius Clay

Thereby giving up the 72 virgins on the other side.

Maybe he could make 2 passports?

Just watched When We Were Kings again (available on You Tube if you've not seen it). The man defined legend.

I only really remember late era Ali, ie the Holmes and Spinks fights, but he was certainly one of the biggest names of the 60s and 70s so he'll certainly be a candidate for death of the year. Not convinced that boxing should be called a sport but that's another issue. He's more famous for being the respectable face of Islam in any case than his fights.

Hospitalised with respiratory issue: http://bigstory.ap.org/5466fd876da54f5c8b4b083fcf5cc31e

Think he will be Ok this time but it is obvious he is getting closer to the end and his health is getting worse, if he does die he will be the biggest celebrity death of the year which is saying something considering the deaths we have had this year. It will be a sad day when he does go as he is a true, true legend.

I agree.It looks like he'll pull through this time.It's just a precaution. There are other names I'd rather see go like Fidel Castro or Jaoao Havelange

For me personally Ali can't top Prince or Bowie, if he dies he'll be the 3rd biggest death for me this year.....1st is Prince, 2nd Bowie and 3rd would be Ali but we're only at half year and there are a few gems left

Aye, but you wait until the world's media start lauding him and his achievements. A biggie when he's finally counted out.

All 3 of them (4 including Nancy) were of historic meaning. All of them tried to change something and were controversial in their own right. :) I think 2016 is getting spotlight in this decade, unlike 2015.

As for Ali, I never was a boxing fan and the only boxer I knew was Ali and I heard about him in elementary but realized his importance in 2008 when he attended the Olympic games. I never was a fan of him and never will be but he is one of the people who marked the 20th century and now his name will be carved in stone forever. It was great to live in times to see all these people. RIP Ali.

RIP Ali. I kinda had a feeling that this was one battle too far and so it proved to be. He was arrogant SOB but had the talent to back it up and also had a wicked sense of humour, never taking himself too seriously. His decline over the past 30 years has been sad to see. After seeing him at the 2012 Opening Ceremony I'm frankly amazed he's lasted this long.

A huge death in a year of huge deaths and for sheer force of personality a bigger sporting death than Johan Cruyff, although both were masters of their profession who changed their sports forever. Not yet 6 months in, I fear there are some other shocks to come.

Rest in peace GOAT.

• Like 1

Shame on me. had him not on my list. one of the 25 that I had to replace, big miss. Rest In peace!

• Like 1

Thanks, Muhammad for ending a two-month the drought...

• Like 1

At the point where 2016 easily rivals 2009 and 2013 for most significant year of deaths in this century, if not squeaks past them. Wonder what the winner would be for last century?

At the point where 2016 easily rivals 2009 and 2013 for most significant year of deaths in this century, if not squeaks past them. Wonder what the winner would be for last century?

2011 had some pretty massive deaths too. (Kim Jong-il, Elizabeth Taylor, Osama Bin Laden, Wangari Maathai, Steve Jobs, Vaclav Havel, Muammar Gaddafi, etc)