RonnyMan

Pelé

4 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

RIP the Greatest

Benedict surely for the No.1 spot now given it doesn't seem to be "imminent" yet for him

I wouldn't like to bet either way that he makes it.

• Like 4

Pele was one I always considered to be immortal. The other being Jerry Lee Lewis. 

I remember for half our P.E. lessons for football training, our teacher would wheel the TV and video player out, and we'd have to watch some of Brazil's world cup matches, paying special attention to Pele. 

On one hand, unless something drastic happens, I win our local Deadpool. On the other, it's painful to be reminded of someone dying from cancer so soon after my mother-in-law went through the same just over a month ago.

Anyway, R. I. P. Pele 

I was just thinking with the number of guests on here at the moment that if they could still post there would be a quare load of ranter fire tonight. Ahh the good old days :lol:

1 hour ago, justonecornetto said:

Had the honour of seeing him at Hampden in  1966  a proper legend in the greatest sport in the World

RIP Sir Pele

I saw him play in Rochester, NY about 47-years ago (he played for the NY Cosmos) -- I doubt he considered it a high honor to play against the Lancers. 

I guess his cancer advanced and worsened.

• Haha 1

Ah, who can forget the fabulous shot from the halfway line… that went just past the post; the towering header… that Banks clawed away; or the magnificent dummy that flummoxed the keeper… which he then screwed wide. 

There's a well-known photo of Muhammad Ali meeting Gary Sobers in England in 1966; we know that Pele met Ali. Given that he was here for the World Cup, I wonder if he ever met Sobers too? Surely the three greatest sportsmen of the second half of the 20th century.

2 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

There's a well-known photo of Muhammad Ali meeting Gary Sobers in England in 1966; we know that Pele met Ali. Given that he was here for the World Cup, I wonder if he ever met Sobers too? Surely the three greatest sportsmen of the second half of the 20th century.

Streeeeeetch GIF - WWE Wrestling HulkHogan - Discover & Share GIFs | Hulk  hogan, Hulk, Wwe

• Like 1

In football terms;

In  comes the sub...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DoorSlammer said:

At least his suffering is now finally over. Rest in peace.

You're not managing a dead pool masterlist, are you?

• Haha 3

Glad I held off on my DDP entry and other deadpool entries.

I am sad about Pele as he was a great player and led a remarkable life however it was inevitable for a long while now and at least he isn't suffering now.

R.I.P GOAT

• Like 2

It felt like Pelé's death broke the forum longer than when The Queen died.

I'd like to see some traffic stats please!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Perhaps said:

It felt like Pelé's death broke the forum longer than when The Queen died.

I'd like to see some traffic stats please!

3. Queen

2. Pele

1. Every time that fat silver expert appears on "Flog It" and 1,000 people google his name.

• Haha 2

I’m enjoying the posts from the under-45 crowd declaring a player they never saw on the pitch as the greatest to play the game.  That’s cute.  But hey he made a pretty goal in that Stallone movie.

SC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clarence said:

Greatest football player in the history.

Guess you are not old enough to have seen Peter Crouch play

Just heard on good morning Britain how much of a fuss over his death there there is. Didn't make such a song and dance for George Cohen (as they should for any member of the 1966 winning squad) if Bobby Charlton doesn't have the same reaction as Pele, I'll be cheesed off fo sure :bombguy:

• Facepalm 1