Paul Bearer

Ideas and possibilities for 2025

On 31/01/2024 at 06:07, Neol Edmunds said:

https://www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk/news/24080291.sir-geoff-hurst-abandons-event-cheese-grain-frome/

It's a big story. Geoff Hurst forced off stage by nosebleeds. Not many from 1966 still with us...

Did one of his insurance "clients" punch him?

Prospective client - "tell us all about about 1966". Geoff - "only after you've signed this policy form"..

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

One actor/actress that seems to stay under the radar is Taina Elg who is now 93. She starred with Kenneth More in 1959 in The 39 Steps. More died way back in 1982 but his last (& third) wife, actress Angela Douglas is only 83 now. She was widowed again in 2022. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, The Watcher said:

One actor/actress that seems to stay under the radar is Taina Elg who is now 93. She starred with Kenneth More in 1959 in The 39 Steps. More died way back in 1982 but his last (& third) wife, actress Angela Douglas is only 83 now. She was widowed again in 2022. 

I've seen the 1935 Alfred Hitchcock version of The 39 Steps. Is the 1959 version worth watching?

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I've seen the 1935 Alfred Hitchcock version of The 39 Steps. Is the 1959 version worth watching?

They are all worth watching.

If only for the different 39 Steps they use!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Pretty good but a very rushed ending. Not surprising that only one adult star remains from the 1959 film as only Robert Powell and Timothy West appear to be alive from the 1978 version.

• Like 2

Former Britain's Got Talent semi finalist Allan Finnigan says has  revealed he has just 12 months to live after being diagnosed with a rare form of cancer.

I do this every year a list of the names on my 1000 name longlist that are not captured in DDP picks

1.       Gloria Whelan (b.1923) – Writer

2.       Paul Goldsmith (b.1925) – Racing Driver

3.       Hermano da silva Ramos (b.1925) – Racing Driver

4.       John Rhodes (b.1927) – Racing Driver

5.       Jane Gardam (b.1928) – Writer

6.       Pamela Hicks (b.1929) - Aristocrat

7.       Caroline Graham (b.1931) – Writer

8.       Maurice Gee (b.1931) – Writer

9.       Alex Soler-Roig (b.1932) – Racing Driver

10.   Katherine Paterson (b.1932) – Writer

11.   Jeremy Isaacs (b.1932) – Media Executive

12.   Alf Dubs (b.1932) – Politician

13.   Johnathan Gash (b.1933) – Writer

14.   Sylvia Engdahl  (b.1933) – Writer

15.   Lance Gibbs (b.1934) – Cricketer

16.   Giorgio Armani (b.1934) – Fashion Designer

17.   Erich von Daniken (b.1935) – Writer

18.   Susan Cooper (b.1935) – Writer

19.   Norman Foster (b.1935) - Architect

20. Nuria Espert (b.1935) - Theatre Director

You will note that there are a lot of Writers  (for my theme team) and Racing Drivers - the later is because I included all the most popular picks from the Scavenger Hunt in my long list and the Racing Drivers were older and more obscure

Now it is possible that I have missed some of these due to how they are recorded on the DDP page as opposed to my list so if any are wrong do let me know (there  are quite a few 1935 names and I had to arrange them by birthday to know which ones to include). I already found that I had forgot to remove John Nettleton from my Long list

• Like 1

Erich von Daniken - DL potential when he hits 90? Feels like he hits that sweet spot occupied previously by the likes of James Randi and Robert Pirsig.

• Like 2

@Bibliogryphon Edward de Souza is still on my theme team and will be there till he drops.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, msc said:

@Bibliogryphon Edward de Souza is still on my theme team and will be there till he drops.

Under Souza where I had him under de Souza

Thanks will update my list

@Bibliogryphon Just curious if AJ Foyt was a 1935 born long lister for you. He is the person I was most surprised to see as a non DDP pick. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Captain Hemlock said:

@Bibliogryphon Just curious if AJ Foyt was a 1935 born long lister for you. He is the person I was most surprised to see as a non DDP pick. 

Not on my longlist as he was a unique pick on the Scavenger Hunt pool and I only added the most popular picks in each category

• Like 1

William Bulger, brother of James "Whitey" Bulger and notable Democratic politician in his own right, serving as President of the Massachusetts Senate for 7 years, turned 90 a few days ago. Seemingly never before mentioned on the forum.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/25820611/pop-icon-lulu-shock-retirement-glittering-career/
Lulu is retiring from touring - says she wants to keep working but who knows if it’s health related. 

I’ve always thought she might end up being one of the last major pop stars of the 60s standing. Having been born in 1948, she has to be the youngest performer associated with the “British Invasion” period. 

1 hour ago, Toast said:

I think she explained very clearly why she was stopping.

Yeah, but don’t let that get in the way of the bollocks Crem talks.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Knew as soon as I read that earlier someone on here would totally disregard what she said and jump to conclusions. I mean she's 75 ffs. Touring is tough going for people in their 50s and 60s never mind 70s 

• Like 1

Paddy Mcguiness on Radio 2 yesterday, wishing Steve Harley all the best as he’s in very poor health now or words to that effect. Treatment effects or Cancer itself  ? 

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

30 minutes ago, Pedro67 said:

Paddy Mcguiness on Radio 2 yesterday, wishing Steve Harley all the best as he’s in very poor health now or words to that effect. Treatment effects or Cancer itself  ? 

Probably thread-worthy tbh (especially as his website has a blog), but I'll leave starting it for someone with a better knowledge of.... wikipedia calls Cockney Rebel glam, but that doesn't feel right to me. Proto-pub rock?

2 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Probably thread-worthy tbh (especially as his website has a blog), but I'll leave starting it for someone with a better knowledge of.... wikipedia calls Cockney Rebel glam, but that doesn't feel right to me. Proto-pub rock?

Somewhere between the arty glam of Roxy Music and pub rock. The Psychomodo (1974) a fine LP BTW.

11 hours ago, Pedro67 said:

From November 2022 - "I’m fighting a nasty cancer. My oncologist is pleased with the treatment’s effects so far. It’s tiresome, and tiring. But the fight is on. And thankfully the cursed intruder is not affecting the voice. I sing and play most evenings."

Get well soon!