An Fear Beag

HARE'S DEATH POOL 2023

Well, I said only get interested when somebody hit the lead, and I am certainly interested now!

It is still relatively quiet for hits, with only 5 that I am aware of since the last update on October 16th. However, at this time of year the hits tend to be significant, and that is certainly the case now. This is who I have - let me know if I have missed anyone.

16th October: Roland Griffiths

21st October: Bobby Charlton

23rd October: Mervin Shiner

1st November: Ady Barkan

2nd November: Wei Wei

The demise of Bobby Charlton has given us a new leader in @The Unknown Manwho, after lurking near the leaders all year, now strikes for home. However they have an ominous looking pack lurking behind, with @gcreptilemoving up into 3rd, reigning champion @Death Impendsnow in 5th, and @TQRup into 6th. All three still have Jokers to play, so there is plenty of scope for a very quick change or two at the top.

Down at the bottom, @Pedro67finally nabs a hit to enter the race proper,  leaving @DeathByArsenicas the only player still to score

Top 6 is as follows, full leaderboard on page 1. 

The Unknown Man (1687 points) 8 hits

[Bob Barker, Bobby Charlton, George Alagiah*, Gianluca Vialli, Giorgio Napolitano, Milan Kundera, Rolf Harris, Ted Kaczynski]

Wannamaker (1603 points) 11 hits

[Bob Barker, Frank McGarvey, George Alagiah, Giorgio Napolitano, King Constantine, Martti Ahtisaari, Milan Kundera, Pervez Musharraf, Rolf Harris, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Ted Kaczynski]

Gcreptile (1559 points) 10 hits

[Burt Bacharach, Chris Snow, Daniel N Paul, Frederic Forrest, George Alagiah, Grant Turner, Haris Ibrahim, Menahem Pressler, Roland Griffiths, William Consovoy]

The Spinosaurus (1426 points) 7 hits

[Alan Arkin, Bob Barker, King Constantine, Horst-Dieter Hottges*, John Devitt, Michael Parkinson, Tony Bennett]

Death Impends (1423 points) 9 hits

[Bert I Gordon, Billy Graham, Bob Barker, Ed Ames, Francoise Gilot, Jimmy Weldon, Lucille Randon, Mervin Shiner, Milan Kundera]

TQR (1373 points) 7 hits

[Bobby Charlton, George Alagiah, Harry Belafonte, Michael Parkinson, Mohamed Al-Fayed, Nigel Lawson, Tony Bennett]

• Like 2

I did say that there was plenty of scope for a change or two at the top, and indeed that is what we have. Only a few hits to report, (feel free to point out any more obscure ones that may have been missed), but at this time of the year a few hits is all we need for a shake-up. 

This is who I have since the last update:

16th October: Eric Tweedale

3rd November: David Berglas

7th November: Frank Borman

10th November: Johnny Ruffo.

An the big news is that we have a new leader! @gcreptilescores with a Ruffo hit to take the lead, and with only eleven down (plus non-scoring Steve Woodmore), and a Joker still in the back pocket, they are  now in prime position to take the title. But a lot can, and probably will, happen in 7 weeks. 

The other big winner is @BuffaloPhilwho jokered with Ruffo to move up into 3rd position, only 1 hit off the lead. They have a fair few differentials from the two teams above, so a run at the top is a real possibility at this stage.

@RadGuyenters the top 10 in 7th place - still needs a couple of quick hits to get to the top, but again has enough outs to start catching the leaders.

Here is the top 10; the full scoreboard is as always on page 1.

Gcreptile (1842 points) 11 hits

[Burt Bacharach, Chris Snow, Daniel N Paul, Frederic Forrest, George Alagiah, Grant Turner, Haris Ibrahim, Johnny Ruffo, Menahem Pressler, Roland Griffiths, William Consovoy]

[Bob Barker, Bobby Charlton, George Alagiah*, Gianluca Vialli, Giorgio Napolitano, Milan Kundera, Rolf Harris, Ted Kaczynski]

Buffalo Phil (1674 points) 10 hits

[Ady Barkan, Ben Ferencs, Bill Butler, Bob Barker, Gianluca Vialli, Guido Gorgatti, Hazel McCallion, Johnny Ruffo*, Lucille Randon, Tim Keller]

[Bob Barker, Frank McGarvey, George Alagiah, Giorgio Napolitano, King Constantine, Martti Ahtisaari, Milan Kundera, Pervez Musharraf, Rolf Harris, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Ted Kaczynski]

[Alan Arkin, Bob Barker, King Constantine, Horst-Dieter Hottges*, John Devitt, Michael Parkinson, Tony Bennett]

[Bert I Gordon, Billy Graham, Bob Barker, Ed Ames, Francoise Gilot, Jimmy Weldon, Lucille Randon, Mervin Shiner, Milan Kundera]

The RadGuy (1375 points) 8 hits

[Ady Barkan, Faye Fantarrow, Frank McGarvey, George Alagiah, Jango Edwards, Johnny Ruffo, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Tim Lobinger]

TQR (1373 points) 7 hits

[Bobby Charlton, George Alagiah, Harry Belafonte, Michael Parkinson, Mohamed Al-Fayed, Nigel Lawson, Tony Bennett]

Thatcher (1253 points) 8 hits

[Federico Bahamontes, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Gina Lollobrigida, Milan Kundera, Rolf Harris*, Ted Kaczynski, Tony Bennett]

Yorkshire Banker (1208 points) 7 hits

[Dick Clarke, Dick Groat, Francoise Gilot, George Alagiah, Giorgio Napolitano, Hsing Yun, Winnie Ewing]

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My pick Daisaku Ikeda is dead but I'd need another to get into the current top 10.

• Thanks 1

It's only been 4 days since the last update, but here comes another one. So why the rush?

Well firstly, because I have just noticed that @LizLemonwas never awarded points for her Tony Bennett hit on 21st July. Apologies- points have now been awarded.

But surely that cannot be enough to warrant an update. Well how about @DeathByArsenicgetting their first hit of the year, meaning that every player has now entered the race. The death of Josh Ackland lifts them up into the lofty position of 5th last! These are the hits that have occurred in the past 4 days:

15th November: Daisaku Ikeda

19th November: Josh Ackland

19th November: Rosalynn Carter

A fresh update for the last placed player finally getting a hit? Of course not - there is more!. Only one player in the top 10 picked Rosalynn Carter. It just so happens that they also picked Josh Ackland. As a result @Thatchermakes a leap from 9th position right back up into the lead! Can they hold onto it this time?

Does@gcreptilehave a reply? Can someone else rack up a couple of quick hits to sneak into the top spot? 6 weeks to go - its heating up.

This is the top 5, full leaderboard on page 1.

Thatcher (1897 points) 10 hits

[Federico Bahamontes, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Gina Lollobrigida, Josh Ackland, Milan Kundera, Rolf Harris*, Rosalynn Carter, Ted Kaczynski, Tony Bennett]

Gcreptile (1842 points) 11 hits

[Burt Bacharach, Chris Snow, Daniel N Paul, Frederic Forrest, George Alagiah, Grant Turner, Haris Ibrahim, Johnny Ruffo, Menahem Pressler, Roland Griffiths, William Consovoy]

[Ady Barkan, Ben Ferencs, Bill Butler, Bob Barker, Gianluca Vialli, Guido Gorgatti, Hazel McCallion, Johnny Ruffo*, Lucille Randon, Tim Keller]

• Like 4

A little more housekeeping to be done. 

As I was checking  the scoresheets over breakfast this morning, I noticed an error in the scoring of the Johnny Ruffo hit. It would appear that after (correctly) entering the date of death on the spreadsheet for @BuffaloPhil, I suddenly went all American, and started entering the date as 11/10/23 rather than the correct 10/11/23. As a result, all other Ruffo pickers were diddled out of 30 points. That has now been corrected, and an intense session of self-flagellation will now begin.

For the most part it has made only minor differences to the scoreboard. @CaptainChorizo, @Etushispushingupdaisies, @Grim Up North@The Old Crem and @Pedro67all rise by 1 place in the middle of the scoreboard. @Famous6Evarises 2 spots and @RadGuyedges a little closer to the leader.

The bigger issue is the boost that it gives to @gcreptilewho is now only 27 points off the leader. Which the eagle-eyes among you may notice is less than a Steve Woodmore hit, for whom we are still awaiting a QO. I had kicked the can down the road on this one, in the hope that either it wouldn't matter, or that a QO would arise. Neither looks to be the case at present, so I will make a clear decision that what we have at present will NOT be enough. We  have a facebook tribute and an entry into The Gazette, so I am sure he is dead, but neither fulfils the extremely lax criteria for this pool. Sorry GC. 

This is the top 2 as stands with (hopefully!) correct scores. I will be doing a thorough check of the scoreboard later, but I am fairly confident all is now correct.

[Federico Bahamontes, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Gina Lollobrigida, Josh Ackland, Milan Kundera, Rolf Harris*, Rosalynn Carter, Ted Kaczynski, Tony Bennett]

Gcreptile (1872 points) 11 hits

• Like 1

3 hours ago, An Fear Beag said:

less than a Steve Woodmore hit, for whom we are still awaiting a QO. I had kicked the can down the road on this one, in the hope that either it wouldn't matter, or that a QO would arise. Neither looks to be the case at present, so I will make a clear decision that what we have at present will NOT be enough. We  have a facebook tribute and an entry into The Gazette, so I am sure he is dead, but neither fulfils the extremely lax criteria for this pool. Sorry GC. 

Reptile needs to do some fast talking 

• Haha 1

Oh, there will be more hits! Okay, one or two.

On 22/11/2023 at 18:24, gcreptile said:

Oh, there will be more hits! Okay, one or two.

He wasn't lying ...........

• Like 1

Its been quite the week for celebrities croaking it, with some big names and popular picks falling as enter the home straight. I have done a google trawl through the list, so I am fairly sure I have rounded up all the fallers.

This is who I have since the last update:

24th November: Chris Stone

25th November: Terry Venables

25th November: Tras Honan

27th November: Frances Sternhagen

29th November: Henry Kissinger

30th November: Shane MacGowan

1st December: Sandra Day-O'Connor

So what difference has that made to the leaderboard?

Well. firstly @gcreptilehas made good on his promise of another hit, with Kissinger propelling him back to the summit. Can he hold onto the leadership this time? 

The biggest winner from the recently flurry of activity is @Dying Probablywho managed a rapid treble of Kissinger, MacGowan and Day-O'Connor to surge through the pack. They go from barely inside the top-20,  all the way up into second place. And with Jimmy Carter seemingly circling the drain and about to join Rosalynn in dropping down it, you cannot rule out an unlikely victory from behind.

@wannamakerrefuses to be shaken off, and continues to track the leaders in third, still only a solitary hit away from the top.

The only other player within a non-Joker hit of the leader is @Thatcherwho drops out of the lead down into 4th place. Still loads of time to snatch the lead back. 

Also loads of time for other players to mount a late surge, with plenty of Jokers still to be played - Dying Probably has shown that is never too late in this game.

This is your last full leaderboard of the year. 

Gcreptile (2204 points) 12 hits

[Burt Bacharach, Chris Snow, Daniel N Paul, Frederic Forrest, George Alagiah, Grant Turner, Haris Ibrahim, Henry Kissinger, Johnny Ruffo, Menahem Pressler, Roland Griffiths, William Consovoy]

Dying Probably (2069 points) 10 hits

[Betty Boothroyd, Harry Belafonte, Hazel McCallion*, Henry Kissinger, James L. Buckley, Nigel Lawson, Rosalynn Carter, Sandra Day-O’Connor, Shane MacGowan, Tony Bennett]

Wannamaker (1935 points) 12 hits

[Bob Barker, Frank McGarvey, George Alagiah, Giorgio Napolitano, Henry Kissinger,  King Constantine, Martti Ahtisaari, Milan Kundera, Pervez Musharraf, Rolf Harris, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Ted Kaczynski]

Yorkshire Banker (1536 points) 8 hits

[Dick Clarke, Dick Groat, Francoise Gilot, George Alagiah, Giorgio Napolitano, Hsing Yun, Tras Honan, Winnie Ewing]

Wormfarmer (1422 points) 8 hits

[AL Jaffee*, Ben Ferencs, Bill Butler, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Henry Kissinger, Shane MacGowan, Ted Kaczynski]

ZZZ - Boring Predictable Team (1421 points) 7 hits

[Bob Barker, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Henry Kissinger, Johnny Ruffo, Rolf Harris, Tony Bennett]

The RadGuy (1405 points) 8 hits

[Ady Barkan, Faye Fantarrow, Frank McGarvey, George Alagiah, Jango Edwards, Johnny Ruffo, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Tim Lobinger]

LizLemon (1400 points) 6 hits

[Burt Bacharach, Frederic Forrest, Henry Kissinger, Rosalynn Carter, Sandra Day-Connor, Tony Bennett]

Etushispushingupdaisies (1388 points) 7 hits

[Bob Barker, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Henry Kissinger, Johnny Ruffo, Rolf Harris, Teresa Taylor]

TQR (1373 points) 7 hits

Nantonian (1359 points) 7 hits

[Diane Feinstein, George Alagiah, Henry Kissinger, Nigel Lawson, Rolf Harris, Ted Kaczynski, Winnie Ewing]

Salmon Mousse (1271 points) 10 hits

[Chris Snow, Chris Stone, Frank McGarvey, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Denny Crum, Michael Lehrer, Natalie Fornasier, Teresa Taylor, Tim Keller]

Diego (1265 points) 8 hits

[Felix Sienra, Gianluca Vialli, Giorgio Napolitano, King Constantine, Milan Kundera, Rolf Harris, Shane MacGowan, Wei Wei]

YoungOne (1260 points) 7 hits

[Bobby Charlton, George Alagiah, Henry Kissinger, King Constantine, Nigel Lawson, Rolf Harris, Tony Bennett]

WEP (1204 points) 7 hits

[Augie Nieto, George Alagiah*, Jango Edwards, Mutulu Shakur, Ralf Harris, Teresa Taylor, Tim Lobinger]

Arghton (1174 points) 10 hits

[Carmen Sevilla, Daisako Ikeda, Emlain Kabua, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Ivan Silayev*, Otis Taylor, Rafiq Nishonov, Tim Lobinger, Winnie Ewing)

The Old Crem (1167 points) 8 hits

[Frank McGarvey, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Johnny Ruffo, Mary Quant, Rolf Harris, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Terry Venables]

BabyBlue (1152 points) 7 hits

[Greta Anderson, Guido Gorgatti, Helene Carrere D’Encausse Horse-Dieter Hottges, Leonard Pietraszak, Martti Ahtisaari, Phyllis Latour]

Toast (1150 points) 10 hits

[Bobby Charlton, Fay Weldon, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Just Fontaine, King Constantine, Milan Kundera, Rolf Harris, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Winnie Ewing]

Drol (1109 points) 7 hits

[George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Giorgio Napolitano*, Oomen Chandy, Pervez Musharraf, Rolf Harris, Shimon Baadani]

An Fear Beag (1093 points) 9 hits

[George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Lucille Randon, Mairin Hughes, Mary Quant, Nick Hitchon, Nigel Lawson, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Tim Keller]

DeathBecomesThem (1089 points) 6 hits

[Chaim Topol, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Pat Robertson, Rosalynn Carter, Sandra Day-O’Connor]

Captain Chorizo (1085 points) 7 hits

[Abe Jacobs, Billy Two-Rivers, Johnny Ruffo, Pervez Musharraf, Siiri Ratnanen, Teresa Taylor, Winnie Ewing]

Msc (1076 points) 4 hits

[Bob Barker, David Berglas, Henry Kissinger, Tony Bennett]

MariNisia (1071 points) 6 hits

[Bob Barker, Carole Cook, Don January, Harry Belafonte, Sandra Day’O’Connor, Stanley Von Nieda]

The Old Lady (988 points) 8 hits

[Betty Boothroyd, Bob Barker, Francoise Gilot, Gianluca Vialli, Mary Quant, Rolf Harris, Ted Kaczynski, Tina Turner]

Lady Fiona (964 points) 5 hits

[George Alagiah, Kenneth McAlpine, Rolf Harris, Shane MacGowan, Tony Bennett]

Chel (960 points) 6 hits

[Jaak Lipso, Nikolai Dupak, Nikolai Dobranravov, Yulia Borisova, Vera Vasilveya, Vyacheslav Zaitsev]

CharlesDeGaulle (944 points) 6 hits

[Bob Barker, Chaim Topol, Giorgio Napolitano, Rolf Harris, Stella Stevens, Tony Bennett]

Famous4Eva (943 points) 3 hits

[Angel Wagenstein*, Chris Snow, Johnny Ruffo]

WhoamI (930 points) 5 hits

[Eric Tweedale, Henry Kissinger, Ken Archer, Stella Stevens, Ted Kaczynski]

Im Not Hades (891 points) 5 hits

[David Crosby, Frank Borman, Harry Belafonte, Mary Quant, Miroslav Blasevic]

JoeMoneypenny (848 points) 5 hits

[Hsing Yun, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Shane MacGowan, Wan Haifeng, Wei Wei]

CalebH (823 points) 5 hits

[Carmen Sevilla, Doreen Mantle, Marga Minco, Mihai Sora*, Sonia Cervanes]

Book (790 points) 6 hits

[Burt Bacharach, Frances Sternhagen, Gina Lollobrigida, Harry Belafonte, Inga Swenson, Maria Sebaldt]

Torva Messor (755 points) 7 hits

[Bernard Kalb, Bert I. Gordon*, Carole Cook, Francoise Gilot, Max Morath, Menahem Pressler, Noreen Nash]

GrimUpNorth (737 points) 6 hits

[Frank McGarvey, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Johnny Ruffo, Rolf Harris, Ryiuchi Sakamoto]

Joey Russ (717 points) 6 hits

[Bob Barker, David Crosby, Lucille Randon, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Ted Kaczynski, Tony Bennett]

Etib80 (698 points) 3 hits

[Bob Barker*, Federico Bahamontes, Gianluca Vialli]

Great Uncle Bulgaria (692 points) 5 hits

[Bob Barker, Gina Lollobrigida, Henry Kissinger, Lucille Randon, Nigel Lawson]

Guy From Future (662 points) 7 hits

[George Alagiah, Gordon Pinsent, Hazel McCallion, Jean-Pierre Jabouille, Juan Velarde Fuertes, Milan Kundera, Patricia Hamilton]

Tracey (656 points) 6 hits

[Al Jaffee, Al Quie, George Alagiah, Gordon Moore, Miiko Taka, Ted Lerner]

Hell (650 points) 6 hits

[Chaim Topol, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Rolf Harris, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Ted Kaczynski]

Pedro69 (606 points) 2 hits

[Bobby Charlton, Johnny Ruffo]

WhenThe (460 points) 3 hits

[Albert Ndele, Jim Broyhill, Rosalynn Carter]

GooseberryCrumble (438 points) 3 hits

[Dick Fosbury, Raquel Welch, Rosalynn Carter]

Sean (389 points) 4 hits

[Gina Lollobrigida, Gordon McQueen, Harry Belafonte, Nora Forster]

John Key (333 points) 2 hits

[George Alagiah, Rolf Harris]

Death By Arsenic (322 points) 1 hit

[Josh Ackland]

ChckenCobra (271 points) 1 hit

[Diane Feinstein]

Bibliogryphon (228 points) 1 hit

[Michael Parkinson]

TheKillingTime (170 points) 1 hit

[Claude Sarraute]

Time (81 points) 1 hit

[Peter Shelley]

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Last week of November appears to be my lucky charm here

Here's a small but important update to brighten up someone's Friday morning. Only 2 hits to report since the last update, unless you know of any more obscure names who have decided not to celebrate Christmas this year.

5th December: Norman Lear

12th December: Fusa Tatsumi

Lear exiting the stage has brought some respectability to @tracyand @WhoamIwho are now safely in mid table (and above me:(). More significantly, @LizLemonhas squeezed into contention, rising up into 6th place and within 2 hits of the leader. A joker will not do it, as our leader @gcreptilehas her Roberta Flack joker covered.

Of even more significance is the demise of Tatsumi, a Joker hit for @diego who sprints up into third position within a hit of the leader. I bet he likes that!. 

Here is where we stand with a little over 2 weeks to go. Late drama anyone?

[Burt Bacharach, Chris Snow, Daniel N Paul, Frederic Forrest, George Alagiah, Grant Turner, Haris Ibrahim, Henry Kissinger, Johnny Ruffo, Menahem Pressler, Roland Griffiths, William Consovoy]

Dying Probably (2069 points) 10 hits

[Betty Boothroyd, Harry Belafonte, Hazel McCallion*, Henry Kissinger, James L. Buckley, Nigel Lawson, Rosalynn Carter, Sandra Day-O’Connor, Shane MacGowan, Tony Bennett]

Diego (1955 points) 9 hits

[Felix Sienra, Fusa Tatsumi*, Gianluca Vialli, Giorgio Napolitano, King Constantine, Milan Kundera, Rolf Harris, Shane MacGowan, Wei Wei]

[Bob Barker, Frank McGarvey, George Alagiah, Giorgio Napolitano, Henry Kissinger,  King Constantine, Martti Ahtisaari, Milan Kundera, Pervez Musharraf, Rolf Harris, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Ted Kaczynski]

LizLemon (1738 points) 7 hits

[Burt Bacharach, Frederic Forrest, Henry Kissinger, Norman Lear, Rosalynn Carter, Sandra Day-Connor, Tony Bennett]

• Like 2

It looks like we may have had some late, late drama in this game, as Eddie Bernice Johnson got tired of hanging around for Jimmy Carter, and checked out yesterday, 31st December.

Are @gcreptile's hopes of victory Dying? Probably!

Before we get to the important business of totting up the scores and declaring a winner, here is a round-up of the last hits and misses of 2023.

I have sifted through the list and googled all the names, so it is unlikely that anyone has been missed. If they have, it is past the January 7th deadline for notification of hits, so its tough like I'm afraid. 

Two more picks have been discovered to have died before the game started.

Bretislav Stas - picked by The Killing Time. Died December 2021. Sub Eugenia Cooney

Margaret Stuart Barry - picked by Yorkshire Banker. Apparently died September 2022. Sub Sandy Gall.

And now for the hits:

8th December: Ryan O'Neill

22nd December: Ryan Minor

23rd December: Mike Nussbaum

27th December: Jacques Delors

31st December: Eddie Bernice Johnson

31st December: Maunu Kurkvaara

So two picks qualified for the 250 point Betty Bonus. One of them may be become important later .........

• Like 1

You are all very welcome to the awards ceremony of the 2023 Hare’s Dead pool. About a week later than all other pools, put a few days earlier than usual for this one!

A record year for entries (since surpassed by 2024) saw 57 players with a total of 717 picks in play. It was a year high in picks, but low in hits, especially for the more popular selections. After the compilation team of popular picks managed to beat all-comers in 2022 with 15 hits and 3665 points, 2023 saw a mere 7 hits totalling 1421 points. Popular favourites Roberta Flack (28 picks) Jimmy Carter (27), Johnnie Irwin (23), Andy Taylor (22) and Frank Field (17) all made it comfortably through the year, with suggestions that at least one of them might not be nearly as ill as first thought. (Yeah Jimmy, you faker- we’re looking at you!).

One vital record, however, was broken this year. In 2018 Death Impends snatched victory with the demise of Don Lusk on December 30th. A record that would surely survive the test of time. Well, it did until 31st December 2023 when US Representative Eddie Bernice Johnson was finally voted out by the Reaper. The 364 points plus 250 Betty Bonus was enough to snatch victory from the trophy-laden hands of gcreptile, and present it to our new champion, the winner of the Hares Deadpool 2023 ….

:clap::clap:     DYING PROBABLY    :clap::clap:

:champagne::champagne::champagne:

WINNER

Dying Probably (2683 points) 11 hits

[Betty Boothroyd, Eddie Bernice Johnson, Harry Belafonte, Hazel McCallion*, Henry Kissinger, James L. Buckley, Nigel Lawson, Rosalynn Carter, Sandra Day-O’Connor, Shane MacGowan, Tony Bennett]

Despite boasting the lowest winning total since DeathImpends in 2018, and the lowest number of winning hits since Toast in 2015, the 2683 points was comfortably enough to hand victory to Dying Probably.

The year started badly – their Hazel McCallion Joker was cashed in on 29th January, giving them the lead in the first leaderboard of the year on February 6th. Everyone knows that is the death knell in this pool, right? More early hits with Boothroyd, Lawson and Belafonte saw them in 2nd on May 7th, not the place you generally want to be. By the beginning of November, they were out of the top 20 and by all conventional wisdom, out of the game. Rosalind Carter’s demise on 19th November sneaked them up into the respectability of the top 20, but still seemingly out of it. However all changed in 3 days – the deaths of Henry Kissinger (November 29th), Shane McGowan (November 30th )and Sandra Day O’Connor (December 1st),  suddenly rocketed DP up into second place. Too little, too late? Not a bit of it – they were just biding their time to pounce. The late, late death of Eddie Bernice Johnson was all they were waiting for to take the title in the most dramatic of fashions. Now THAT’S how you play this pool!

I therefore award the Deathray memorial cup for 2023 to @Dying Probably.

image.png.483d783c6bba24def002e460dda9c27b.png

RUNNER-UP

What can I say – the most unlucky of runners-up. However, I am sure their vast collection of silverware will give them some comfort for the loss of this one.  @gcreptilealmost played this perfectly – took the lead in November with the death of Johnny Ruffo. Lost it briefly, only to regain it with Kissinger’s welcome passing. Held that lead almost to the finish line However, they just couldn’t kill off the opposition, with the lack of a December hit, and an un-scoring Joker ultimately proving fatal.

THIRD PLACE

The Unknown Man (2047 points) 9 hits

[Bob Barker, Bobby Charlton, George Alagiah*, Gianluca Vialli, Giorgio Napolitano, Jacques Delors, Milan Kundera, Rolf Harris, Ted Kaczynski]

The only other player to score over 2000 points, a feat managed by 12 players last year. Always there or thereabouts in the second half of the pool. @The Unknown Man took the lead in October with Bobby Charlton’s death. However, that was lost soon after, and despite Jacques Delors giving them a late boost, just couldn’t find that last hit to get them over the line. Ultimately, it is hard to win this pool with only 9 hits.  

THE “COUNT YOURSELF LUCKY” GROUP

Boasting scores that would have been mocked last year, these players all managed to make the top-10 this year. Wannamaker led the pool in October, Thatcher led twice: in July and as late as November. Arghton led in February, Death Impends in July, and Buffalo Phil in May. They all had their opportunity, but just couldn’t take their chances!

Diego (1955 points) 9 hits

[Felix Sienra, Fusa Tatsumi*, Gianluca Vialli, Giorgio Napolitano, King Constantine, Milan Kundera, Rolf Harris, Shane MacGowan, Wei Wei]

[Bob Barker, Frank McGarvey, George Alagiah, Giorgio Napolitano, Henry Kissinger,  King Constantine, Martti Ahtisaari, Milan Kundera, Pervez Musharraf, Rolf Harris, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Ted Kaczynski]

Arghton (1788 points) 11 hits

[Carmen Sevilla, Daisako Ikeda, Emlain Kabua, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Ivan Silayev*, Maunu Kurkvaara (BB), Otis Taylor, Rafiq Nishonov, Tim Lobinger, Winnie Ewing)

Death Impends (1783 points) 10 hits

[Bert I Gordon, Billy Graham, Bob Barker, Ed Ames, Francoise Gilot, Jacques Delors, Jimmy Weldon, Lucille Randon, Mervin Shiner, Milan Kundera]

LizLemon (1738 points) 7 hits

[Burt Bacharach, Frederic Forrest, Henry Kissinger, Norman Lear, Rosalynn Carter, Sandra Day-Connor, Tony Bennett]

THE “RESPECTABLE” GROUP :

YoungOne (1620 points) 8 hits

[Bobby Charlton, George Alagiah, Henry Kissinger, Jacques Delors, King Constantine, Nigel Lawson, Rolf Harris, Tony Bennett]

WEP (1559 points) 8 hits

[Augie Nieto, George Alagiah*, Jango Edwards, Mutulu Shakur, Rolf Harris, Ryan Minor, Teresa Taylor, Tim Lobinger]

Yorkshire Banker (1536 points) 8 hits

[Dick Clarke, Dick Groat, Francoise Gilot, George Alagiah, Giorgio Napolitano, Hsing Yun, Tras Honan, Winnie Ewing]

BabyBlue (1512 points) 8 hits

[Greta Anderson, Guido Gorgatti, Helene Carrere D’Encausse, Horse-Dieter Hottges, Jacques Delors, Leonard Pietraszak, Martti Ahtisaari, Phyllis Latour]

Msc (1436 points) 5 hits

[Bob Barker, David Berglas, Henry Kissinger, Jacques Delors, Tony Bennett]

MariNisia (1431 points) 7 hits

[Bob Barker, Carole Cook, Don January, Harry Belafonte, Jacques Delors, Sandra Day’O’Connor, Stanley Von Nieda]

Wormfarmer (1422 points) 8 hits

[AL Jaffee*, Ben Ferencs, Bill Butler, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Henry Kissinger, Shane MacGowan, Ted Kaczynski]

ZZZ - Boring Predictable Team (1421 points) 7 hits

[Bob Barker, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Henry Kissinger, Johnny Ruffo, Rolf Harris, Tony Bennett]

The RadGuy (1405 points) 8 hits

Etushispushingupdaisies (1388 points) 7 hits

[Bob Barker, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Henry Kissinger, Johnny Ruffo, Rolf Harris, Teresa Taylor]

TQR (1373 points) 7 hits

Nantonian (1359 points) 7 hits

[Diane Feinstein, George Alagiah, Henry Kissinger, Nigel Lawson, Rolf Harris, Ted Kaczynski, Winnie Ewing]

Tracey (1332 points) 7 hits

[Al Jaffee, Al Quie, George Alagiah, Gordon Moore, Miiko Taka, Norman Lear, Ted Lerner]

The “MEH” Group

Salmon Mousse (1271 points) 10 hits

[Chris Snow, Chris Stone, Frank McGarvey, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Denny Crum, Michael Lehrer, Natalie Fornasier, Teresa Taylor, Tim Keller]

WhoamI (1268 points) 6 hits

[Eric Tweedale, Henry Kissinger, Ken Archer, Norman Lear, Stella Stevens, Ted Kaczynski]

Im Not Hades (1232 points) 6 hits

[David Crosby, Frank Borman, Harry Belafonte, Mary Quant, Miroslav Blasevic, Ryan O’Neill]

The Old Crem (1167 points) 8 hits

[Frank McGarvey, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Johnny Ruffo, Mary Quant, Rolf Harris, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Terry Venables]

Toast (1150 points) 10 hits

[Bobby Charlton, Fay Weldon, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Just Fontaine, King Constantine, Milan Kundera, Rolf Harris, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Winnie Ewing]

Drol (1109 points) 7 hits

[George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Giorgio Napolitano*, Oomen Chandy, Pervez Musharraf, Rolf Harris, Shimon Baadani]

An Fear Beag (1093 points) 9 hits

[George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Lucille Randon, Mairin Hughes, Mary Quant, Nick Hitchon, Nigel Lawson, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Tim Keller]

DeathBecomesThem (1089 points) 6 hits

[Chaim Topol, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Pat Robertson, Rosalynn Carter, Sandra Day-O’Connor]

Captain Chorizo (1085 points) 7 hits

[Abe Jacobs, Billy Two-Rivers, Johnny Ruffo, Pervez Musharraf, Siiri Ratnanen, Teresa Taylor, Winnie Ewing]

Etib80 (1058 points) 4 hits

[Bob Barker*, Federico Bahamontes, Gianluca Vialli, Jacques Delors]

THE “MUST TRY HARDER” Group

The Old Lady (988 points) 8 hits

[Betty Boothroyd, Bob Barker, Francoise Gilot, Gianluca Vialli, Mary Quant, Rolf Harris, Ted Kaczynski, Tina Turner]

Lady Fiona (964 points) 5 hits

[George Alagiah, Kenneth McAlpine, Rolf Harris, Shane MacGowan, Tony Bennett]

Pedro69 (962 points) 3 hits

[Bobby Charlton, Johnny Ruffo, Mike Nussbaum]

Chel (960 points) 6 hits

[Jaak Lipso, Nikolai Dupak, Nikolai Dobranravov, Yulia Borisova, Vera Vasilveya, Vyacheslav Zaitsev]

CharlesDeGaulle (944 points) 6 hits

[Bob Barker, Chaim Topol, Giorgio Napolitano, Rolf Harris, Stella Stevens, Tony Bennett]

Famous4Eva (943 points) 3 hits

[Angel Wagenstein*, Chris Snow, Johnny Ruffo]

JoeMoneypenny (848 points) 5 hits

[Hsing Yun, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Shane MacGowan, Wan Haifeng, Wei Wei]

CalebH (823 points) 5 hits

[Carmen Sevilla, Doreen Mantle, Marga Minco, Mihai Sora*, Sonia Cervanes]

Book (790 points) 6 hits

[Burt Bacharach, Frances Sternhagen, Gina Lollobrigida, Harry Belafonte, Inga Swenson, Maria Sebaldt]

Torva Messor (755 points) 7 hits

[Bernard Kalb, Bert I. Gordon*, Carole Cook, Francoise Gilot, Max Morath, Menahem Pressler, Noreen Nash]

GrimUpNorth (737 points) 6 hits

[Frank McGarvey, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Johnny Ruffo, Rolf Harris, Ryiuchi Sakamoto]

Joey Russ (717 points) 6 hits

[Bob Barker, David Crosby, Lucille Randon, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Ted Kaczynski, Tony Bennett]

Great Uncle Bulgaria (692 points) 5 hits

[Bob Barker, Gina Lollobrigida, Henry Kissinger, Lucille Randon, Nigel Lawson]

John Key (674 points) 3 hits

[George Alagiah, Rolf Harris, Ryan O’Neill]

Guy From Future (662 points) 7 hits

[George Alagiah, Gordon Pinsent, Hazel McCallion, Jean-Pierre Jabouille, Juan Velarde Fuertes, Milan Kundera, Patricia Hamilton]

Hell (650 points) 6 hits

[Chaim Topol, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Rolf Harris, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Ted Kaczynski]

THE "YOU’RE ‘AVING A LARF" Group

WhenThe (460 points) 3 hits

[Albert Ndele, Jim Broyhill, Rosalynn Carter]

GooseberryCrumble (438 points) 3 hits

[Dick Fosbury, Raquel Welch, Rosalynn Carter]

Sean (389 points) 4 hits

[Gina Lollobrigida, Gordon McQueen, Harry Belafonte, Nora Forster]

Death By Arsenic (322 points) 1 hit

[Josh Ackland]

ChckenCobra (271 points) 1 hit

[Diane Feinstein]

Bibliogryphon (228 points) 1 hit

[Michael Parkinson]

TheKillingTime (170 points) 1 hit

[Claude Sarraute]

THE "WHAT DID YOU EXPECT?” GROUP

Time (81 points) 1 hit

[Peter Shelley]

Who would have thought it? A team full of apparently healthy 80-year-olds did badly. I tell you – you will win nothing with kids!

A few more awards to be presented:

THE " NO PRIZES FOR LEADING AT HALF-WAY?" AWARD (formerly held by Arsenal Football Club)

THE SPINOSAURUS

Led at the end of August after three rapid August hits. Wondered aloud whether they had peaked too early. Was correct. Did not score again after that, ultimately finishing in 17th.

AWARD FOR MOST POINTS PER HIT (MIN 5 HITS): 

MSC takes this award, scoring only 5 hits, but scoring 1436 points to average 287.2 points per hit. Not bad, consider that the Joker did come into play. First hit in July, then 1 in August, 2 in November, and 1 in December. That’s sort-of how you play the game- just a few more needed,

Honourable mentions to:

LizLemon 1738 points 7 hits 248.3 points per hit

Dying Probably: 2683 points 11 hits: 243.9 points per hit

Pedro67: Average 320.66 but only 3 hits

Famous4Eva: Average 314.33 but only 3 hits.

AWARD FOR FEWEST POINTS PER HIT:

TIME: 81points 1 hit: 81 points per hit. Yeah – it wasn’t even a good one!

Dishonourable mentions go to:

Guyfromfuture: 662 points 7 hits: 94.6 points per hit

Sean: 389 points 4 hits: 97.25 points per hit.

And finally, as couple of quirky notes to end with.

2023 saw one of the odder QOs in dead-pooling history with the YouTube video of Emlain Kabua’s funeral service being accepted as a QO. If you haven’t watched it, I recommend it – its hilarious. Think worst wedding video where all the guests are painfully aware that the camera is on them, but at a solemn funeral.  Players should note that the fact it was filmed and released by the Marshall Islands Telecommunications Authority is what convinced me to allow it. So, if one of your really fringe picks does cark it, don’t bother turning up at the funeral service with your iphone, hoping to sneakily bag a QO.

2003 also saw the now annual event of a pick not even managing to scrape the most basic of QO’s needed to score in this pool. Fast-talker Steve Woodmore finally shut up, and it seems that everyone was so relieved that they promptly forgot all about him. Ultimately it mattered little to Gcpetile, and this host breathed a large sigh of relief!

Thanks everyone for playing in 2023 and best of luck for 2024.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Honestly by the start of c. October I'd completely counted myself out and started cobbling together my 2024 team.

Eddie Bernice Johnson getting terrible care at a facility saved my ass here - and what a shame it did.

Thank you for running AFB! Been a joy to watch myself crumble and then bullshit my way into a win.

• Like 7

Yeah I'm pretty surprised I even lead the half way point to be honest, but not surprised in the least that my immortal picks continued on.

Anyways. Congrats, Dying Probably. 

• Like 1

My Decembre was pretty bad, indeed. But then, winning this as well would have been a little much...

Congrats Dying Probably!

• Like 1

“Respectable” Well, there’s a first time for everything.

Grats @Dying Probably on a stonking win!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

I'm in the Meh group, but with 10 hits which is more than any of the Respectables.  Just unlucky with the timing, so not downcast. 

Thanks to AFB for the comprehensive round-up :D

• Like 2