Spade_Cooley

Sinéad O'Connor aka Shuhada' Davitt

I'll be the only one to be so distrespectful of the dead. But she was always an attention seeker - topped herself for sure.

Lots of people have problems, hers were worse because she could sing? Bleh.

And Prince wrote the song anyway. Now that was a loss.

• Like 2

Oh and whilst I'm on it and attracting hate - if it turns out it was 'because she couldn't bear the loss of her child' attracting yet more sympathy...

What about the other three that she's now left behind?

Hate me if you like but she was selfish.

• Like 4
  • Shocked 1

“She had only so much ‘self’ to give. She was dropped by her label after selling 7 million albums for them. She became crazed, yes, but uninteresting, never. She had done nothing wrong. She had proud vulnerability … and there is a certain music industry hatred for singers who don’t ‘fit in’ (this I know only too well), and they are never praised until death - when, finally, they can’t answer back. The cruel playpen of fame gushes with praise for Sinead today … with the usual moronic labels of “icon” and “legend”. You praise her now ONLY because it is too late. You hadn’t the guts to support her when she was alive and she was looking for you. The press will label artists as pests because of what they withhold … and they would call Sinead sad, fat, shocking, insane … oh but not today! Music CEOs who had put on their most charming smile as they refused her for their roster are queuing-up to call her a “feminist icon”, and 15 minute celebrities and goblins from hell and record labels of artificially aroused diversity are squeezing onto Twitter to twitter their jibber-jabber … when it was YOU who talked Sinead into giving up … because she refused to be labelled, and she was degraded, as those few who move the world are always degraded. Why is ANYBODY surprised that Sinead O’Connor is dead? Who cared enough to save Judy Garland, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Marilyn Monroe, Billie Holiday? Where do you go when death can be the best outcome? Was this music madness worth Sinead’s life? No, it wasn’t. She was a challenge, and she couldn’t be boxed-up, and she had the courage to speak when everyone else stayed safely silent. She was harassed simply for being herself. Her eyes finally closed in search of a soul she could call her own. As always, the lamestreamers miss the ringing point, and with locked jaws they return to the insultingly stupid “icon” and “legend” when last week words far more cruel and dismissive would have done. Tomorrow the fawning fops flip back to their online shitposts and their cosy Cancer Culture and their moral superiority and their obituaries of parroted vomit … all of which will catch you lying on days like today … when Sinead doesn’t need your sterile slop.”

MORRISSEY
26 July, 2023.

• Like 1

'lamestreamers':lol: how old is he, 12?

It comes to something when Rick Astley can do a better Smiths set than Morrissey can these days.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

“She had only so much ‘self’ to give. She was dropped by her label after selling 7 million albums for them. She became crazed, yes, but uninteresting, never. She had done nothing wrong. She had proud vulnerability … and there is a certain music industry hatred for singers who don’t ‘fit in’ (this I know only too well), and they are never praised until death - when, finally, they can’t answer back. The cruel playpen of fame gushes with praise for Sinead today … with the usual moronic labels of “icon” and “legend”. You praise her now ONLY because it is too late. You hadn’t the guts to support her when she was alive and she was looking for you. The press will label artists as pests because of what they withhold … and they would call Sinead sad, fat, shocking, insane … oh but not today! Music CEOs who had put on their most charming smile as they refused her for their roster are queuing-up to call her a “feminist icon”, and 15 minute celebrities and goblins from hell and record labels of artificially aroused diversity are squeezing onto Twitter to twitter their jibber-jabber … when it was YOU who talked Sinead into giving up … because she refused to be labelled, and she was degraded, as those few who move the world are always degraded. Why is ANYBODY surprised that Sinead O’Connor is dead? Who cared enough to save Judy Garland, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Marilyn Monroe, Billie Holiday? Where do you go when death can be the best outcome? Was this music madness worth Sinead’s life? No, it wasn’t. She was a challenge, and she couldn’t be boxed-up, and she had the courage to speak when everyone else stayed safely silent. She was harassed simply for being herself. Her eyes finally closed in search of a soul she could call her own. As always, the lamestreamers miss the ringing point, and with locked jaws they return to the insultingly stupid “icon” and “legend” when last week words far more cruel and dismissive would have done. Tomorrow the fawning fops flip back to their online shitposts and their cosy Cancer Culture and their moral superiority and their obituaries of parroted vomit … all of which will catch you lying on days like today … when Sinead doesn’t need your sterile slop.”

MORRISSEY
26 July, 2023.

He should stick to waving gladioli about.

twat.

This bollocks really does do my head in. She made something like 10 million quid from singing Princes song.

And we are supposed to feel exactly what because she can't cope with life?

The bloke who does my gardening for 15 quid a fucking hour has had a worse life than this by more than a small margin.

Give me a fuckin' break.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

It's more a case of the opposite of what Morrissey said. She got famous for singing a Prince song and shaving her head and has done very little else of note musically. Only due to her erratic public statements and actions has she become a minor celebrity. So people have been looking for good things to say about her (as is usual when someone dies and when there are at least a few good things to talk about). There are many other one hit wonders from the early 1990s who would barely even get a mention in the press if they died.

• Like 2

Throwing money at mentally ill people doesn't make them not hate themselves shocker.

My grandpa survived WWII. For the next 60 years, he had PTSD and was an alcoholic and was dependent on valium, which didn't stop his multiple suicide attempts. But in death certain family members hold him as an example of someone who "shut up and got on with it". No, he fucking needed help and it's a miracle he made 92. That kind of talk doesn't help anyone.

Her singing abilities have nothing to do with my feelings. How about we treat all people with compassion (murderers etc. excluded), instead of playing fucking oppression olympics?

Morrissey has a point (shudder).

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, En Passant said:

I'll be the only one to be so distrespectful of the dead. But she was always an attention seeker - topped herself for sure.

Lots of people have problems, hers were worse because she could sing? Bleh.

And Prince wrote the song anyway. Now that was a loss.

Pot, kettle, black.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, En Passant said:

Oh and whilst I'm on it and attracting hate - if it turns out it was 'because she couldn't bear the loss of her child' attracting yet more sympathy...

If it does turn out to be suicide, I'll agree with this.  I won't be surprised if it turns out that it wasn't though.  IIRC she threatened suicide multiple times and people who publicly do that rarely go through with it.  It's more often the quiet ones.

When you’re in that mindset, trust me, rational reasoning and natural consideration of other people goes totally out of the window.

Deepest sympathies to Sinead’s family and anyone who feels like their depression is winning.

• Like 8

Every summer for the past 5 fives or so we had a prominent "young" figure who died from unnatural causes 

- 2022 : Shinzo Abe, assassination, 67

- 2020 : Naya Rivera, drowning, 33

- 2019 : Cameron Boyce, seizure, 20

- 2018 : XXXtentacion, shot, 20

- 2017 : Chris Cornell, suicide, 52

- 2016 : Anton Yelchin, traffic collision, 27/ Christina Grimmie, assassination, 22

and we can almost include Robin Williams (2014, suicide), Cory Monteith (2013, overdosis)… 

I'd say if O'Connor death ends up being a suicide, she would be a great addition to the list. January and mid-summer seem period with particularly high young profil death every year. 

• Like 2

You missed Chester Bennington (2017 - midsummer) from that list, far more famous songs than Sinead O'Connor (or Cornell, or whoever xxxtension is). Also Kobe Bryant (2020 - January).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

You missed Chester Bennington (2017 - midsummer) from that list, far more famous songs than Sinead O'Connor (or Cornell, or whoever xxxtension is). Also Kobe Bryant (2020 - January).

I mean, like any teenager at the turn of this century I have nostalgia for Linkin Park but the Soundgarden dude (who I also like) did the Bond intro theme to the biggest Bond film of the past twenty years. I think he's probably way more famous.

Incidentally Lafucheuse missed Nipsy Hussle for 2019. No, despite @RadGuybest efforts I am not down with the kids but that guy got a full Panorama special about his murder which I did see, so I have to assume he was a bit famous.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Her records were even worse than her dad's!

R-4732987-1373753783-2306.jpeg.jpg&f=1&n

• Haha 1

Wait a second, Des left his heart in San Francisco as well? This is getting confusing

Like others, I'm sorry she's dead but I feel creatively she was massively overrated. Only really famous for singing one song which was written by Prince. I couldn't name anything else she sung. Still, RIP as she didn't appear to get much peace in her life. 

• Like 5

On 27/07/2023 at 17:00, En Passant said:

With the caveat that we don't know for sure what happened yet... no hate here, you are absolutely right. Some just don't get just how cowardly, spiteful, narcissistic and selfish an act suicide is. Plenty of people have been through way worse and don't decide to screw over and hurt all those friends and family left behind. She of all people had the means to get any help she could have ever wanted. Yeah maybe she wasn't in a rational state of mind and thinking of the impact on her surviving children, but that's no excuse, just as murdering someone else can't be excused because you aren't thinking clearly.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1
  • Facepalm 1

43 minutes ago, Joltin Joe said:

With the caveat that we don't know for sure what happened yet... no hate here, you are absolutely right. Some just don't get just how cowardly, spiteful, narcissistic and selfish an act suicide is. Plenty of people have been through way worse and don't decide to screw over and hurt all those friends and family left behind. She of all people had the means to get any help she could have ever wanted. Yeah maybe she wasn't in a rational state of mind and thinking of the impact on her surviving children, but that's no excuse, just as murdering someone else can't be excused because you aren't thinking clearly.

I think calling people who kill themselves 'narcissistic' might be the silliest thing I've read this week.

I could go in on pretty much every word of this ridiculous post but tbh I'll just leave it and say, as someone who has both dealt with suicidal people and been one myself in the past, ignorance really is bliss.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, TQR said:

I think calling people who kill themselves 'narcissistic' might be the silliest thing I've read this week.

I could go in on pretty much every word of this ridiculous post but tbh I'll just leave it and say, as someone who has both dealt with suicidal people and been one myself in the past, ignorance really is bliss.

We've agreed about many things. Not this though. People are different, narcissism absolutlely is a characteristic of some suicides. It may not be of others and I accept your experience may be otherwise of course but that doesn't make it the silliest thing all week.

2 hours ago, Joltin Joe said:

What an incredibly ignorant frame of mind. May you always be so blessed that you never have to come to terms with how completely real and dangerous mental illness and depression can be.

• Like 7
  • Facepalm 1

Just saying to some of ye calling Sinead a narcissist. What if it comes out that her death was natural causes? 

• Like 2